userdata | yaffs2 | /data

mtdblock7
misc | xx | Not Mounted

mtdblock8
persist | xx | Not Mounted

scottp51

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Oops, forgot to mention that I tried your suggestions but they didn't work. That's why I started exploring.
Signature Verification - it was off, but I turned it on and, when that install didn't work, I turned it off again and the install still didn't work. Tried it with the stock and modded alternate file. I also tried "toggle script asserts." Didn't work either way. Both system and data were unmounted. I mounted data, didn't work with either file. Then I also mounted system, so both were mounted. Neither file worked. Then I unmounted data, so only system was mounted - no joy with either. Then I unmounted system, so neither were mounted (the way I started), and tried again in case the mounting/unmounting shook something free but was still unsuccessful. As far as I can tell, I've tried every permutation of what you suggested.

If the data about the partitions isn't useful, please let me know and I'll drop trying to make this work on the Bean Whiz. I hope there are no hard feelings, and that I didn't screw something up that put you to unnecessary trouble!

However, in the process of monkeying around with two phone ROMs simultaneously while knowing nothing about what I'm doing I have botched something in my daily driver (the Mirage ROM), so I have to reinstall it again. Since I no longer have anything to lose, and the failures to install didn't do anything horrible to my Bean Whiz phone, I'm going to try that next (once Bean Whiz is off the table). I was hoping that I could install the Bean Whiz to my daily phone, which is why I've been testing it, but my workaround of downloading the apk, moving it to the phone with no space and installing it from the sd card didn't work as I'd hoped, so I really want your program to work!

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Thanks for all your effort on this idea!

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry about all the difficulty on your end too! Man, what is up with this? Wish I had another idea of what to do. I'll still keep monkeying with it (I enjoy it =) ), and see if I can come up with anything, although I'll be outta cell service till tomorrow evening, so I won't get much chance till then.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Should I be pasting the "Updater-script" too?

Hey, just realized you said script, not binary. The binary should be the only thing to swap. The script says what needs to be installed, and so if that's switched it would really mess things up, so no don't swap the updater-script.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey, one more thought. I know at one point, before AndyOpie added parts of my script to his rom, he had to install my script to beanwhiz the same way that everyone else does, following the basic instructions on the first couple posts in the thread here. I suppose you could try that.

scottp51

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I tried both ways, since your instructions and his dovetailed as to the appropriate time during the process for the install. He just says use wipecache.zip, while yours say to use the Toucanscrypt 1.1.zip. Unfortunately, neither the as-downloaded or the modded w/the binary swap versions worked, for either file. Is it possible that you were using a different wipecache.zip file at the time he wrote those instructions? If so, and you can provide it to me, I can see if it works and it might be another clue as to what's going on...

Man, I wish we had some mountains here. The only "mountain" around me (it has "mountain" in the name) would probably be described by you as a big hill.

scottp51

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I didn't quite understand what a Nandroid backup was, but now that I do I was able to try ToucanScrypt on a fresh copy of the Mirage ROM on my spare VM670. All of the following was tried on this fresh Mirage install copy.

I tried both the 1.1 and the 1.1 alternate zip files, but unfortunately the result was the same.

So I went and did the binary mod to both 1.1 and 1.1alternate, but it didn't work.

I saw a line in the recovery titled "Fix Permissions," so I hit it, waited for it to do its stuff, and tried again with all four files. No change.

I have no idea what Busybox is or does, but I've seen it referenced many times while I'm trying to get up to speed with Android, so I went and installed the newest version from the Play Store, and then tried again with all four files. Still didn't work.

I guess the problem must be incompatibility with the Optimus V, rather than the ROM in use?

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I guess the problem must be incompatibility with the Optimus V, rather than the ROM in use?

No, cuz multiple people (myself and AndyOpie included) have gotten it to work on the Optimus S/V with multiple different roms. There's something really strange going on here. I did read this link which may be informative. Basically, it may be the recovery that is the issue. Which recovery are you using? Is it the one AndyOpie recommended or the one I recommend in my script?

scottp51

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I was using the recovery Andy recommended, Flashable CWMTRecovery_5.0.2.7-th7_thunderc. I also tried ZenGarden-Touch-Recovery without success.

At this point, I had my Mirage ROM flashed. I installed TWRP2.8.0.0_multi_thunderc and tried to install the modded 1.1, and it still didn't work, but this time the error message said "E:Unable to mount '/data'. Then I switched the recovery to "Internal" mode (via the "Advanced" menu-Oops!). The modded 1.1 still failed, but this time it said:

E:Unable to mount '/data'
Full SELinux support is present.
MTP Enabled
Updating partition details...
Installing '/sdcard/ModAlt Toucanscrypt-1.1alternate.zip...
[something about an MD5 check, skipped]
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/ModAlt Toucanscrypt-1.1alternate.zip...
Updating partition detail...

Then I tried installing the unmodified Toucanscrypt-1.1alternate.zip that you made for me and...

SUCCESS!

I haven't tinkered with it yet, but with the TWRP2.8.0.0_multi_thunderc recovery I was able to:

Install your alternate main script from my Mirage ROM.
Install unmodified wipecache for the Bean Whiz ROM as Andy instructed.

Thank you so much for your troubleshooting help! I can't wait to set up the full Toucanscrypt on my Mirage!

scottp51

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
To be clear, an important note for people using the TWRP 2.8.0.0_multi_thunderc recovery on a ROM different than the [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4 (meaning ROMs without the unique multiple partition setup he uses):

When you load the TWRP recovery You MUST FIRST go to the "Advanced" menu and select "Internal Mode" to change it from the OS2SD mode to which it defaults. You must do this EVERY TIME! For example, if you want to make a nandroid backup using this TWRP and you don't switch it first, you will get an error message and a failed backup.

Other than that, the UI for this recovery is the nicest of the three I've used.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
🙌 Woohoo! So glad you got it working! So I now know that, apparently, the recovery used makes a large difference. I'll have to take note of that somewhere. Let me know how app installation works. Some notes that I mention in the thread, but thought I'd say again: Link2sd unlocks the full power of this script. Use some app to monitor internal partition sizes and keep most apps linked. Apps I keep internal: Swype keyboard, maps (linked data and cache only), avast security, Google voice, widgets I use, link2sd itself (obviously), tasker, Greenify, clock, voice search/wrapper (for Google now functionality via the physical search button), and hangouts dialer. Basically, if it's a widget out phone app, runs constantly, or loads slow because of needing to read a lot of data, I run it off internal as long as space permits. Also, it's sometimes beneficial to change large system apps to user apps so they can be linked. Gapps is sometimes a tight fit. The unlimited installer helps there (although I'll need to write an alternate, so don't flash that yet). After I get that written, you can flash that, reboot rom, re-enter recovery, flash gapps, convert any system apps to user, link apps, then flash the unlimited uninstaller to go back to a more balanced internal vs. external proportion (or just keep it installed--just expect a slight speed loss and reduced sd life, but unlimited app installs).

scottp51

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Well, I installed it today on a clean Mirage install for my main phone, and everything went fine but I have a few more questions:

1. Was I supposed to run "Wipecache" at some point? The only time I saw it mentioned in the directions is when you said to not use the option in the recovery. However, the time when I think I'm supposed to wipe stuff is before I install the ROM, right? Should I have used wipecache before I installed Toucanscrypt-1.1alternate? After?

2. How can I tell if it's working again? The Link2SD (I bought the pro version per your suggestion) storage sections now are: Internal, SD Card, SD Card 2nd Part., System and Cache. I guess I should have made a note of the sections prior to install, but I didn't and I'm not familiar enough yet with Android to know if I have the extra section(?) that your script made?

3. Is the part about "Do not use Link2SD to move any libs or dalvik to sd; APPS ONLY" in effect for me now? Or is this warning for the time when I use the Unlimited Installer (after you mod a version, right?)?

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the LONG time between replying, Scott! Life get's busy!

1. No, unless otherwise specified. The initial install wipes cache naturally, but if anything you read requires you to wipe cache or dalvik, MAKE SURE you use the wipecache script rather than the recovery command as the recovery command would now wipe system data contained on the cache partition.
2. The easiest way to tell that it works is installing a bunch of apps =). I also have a log file that it creates in /data/local titled "linknlog" =). Paste me the contents and I'll double check that all's working fine for ya.
3. It is for always. My script links the ENTIRE folders containing dalvik and libs, so linking them through Link2SD would only require android to look for the files first internally, follow my link to external, where there would be another link to another external location. Probably wouldn't hurt anything, but you'd get no space savings and would incure a small, perhaps large performance hit.

You're welcome! I don't have any donate methods open, but might someday, so the biggest thanks I could receive is you passing the word! ...but don't forget to hit like or thanks on any posts that were helpful in the forum. Keep me posted!

troyguitarman

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Optimus V: Internal KitKat with mount scripts

ya it says this rom has the wifi hotspot working but goo is done PAC_JB_4.2.2-v22.0.1_20130414-042136 no one is hosting the file. Does cyanogenmod.org support the optimus v or s?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
ya it says this rom has the wifi hotspot working but goo is done PAC_JB_4.2.2-v22.0.1_20130414-042136 no one is hosting the file. Does cyanogenmod.org support the optimus v or s?

cm7 works with superior irken organs repo last i heard. zero cm support past gingerbread. Androidarmv6 abandoned, kitKat repo not working. their JB branch may still be good.
also per earlier info request:
/tmp/recovery.log has more data than shows in the recovery screen output.
sorry not to have replied about that sooner, but I'm usually on my v instead of PC, and cyanogen browser crashes constantly attempting replies since Android Central "upgraded" their mobile site.
installing the armv6 mod Crossbreeder I posted in the kitKat thread fixed those crashes though.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz