Update on the way (ICS??!!!)

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
AT&T Note telling me there is an update available but the servers are busy. Could it be ICS?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note.

Last edited:

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I did some updates on my Samsung Captivate and small updates were made that way. Full OS updates were done with SMS messages telling me how to download and update with Kies.

iPhone4Rocks!

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I doubt they would just randomly release the ICS update. There would probably be an announcement on their Twitter page before they begin rolling out the ICS update.

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Welp, I cleaned the "AT&T Software Updater" cache and tried again this AM, tells me device is up-to-date..bummer. Could be a indication of what is to come, though.

I did some updates on my Samsung Captivate and small updates were made that way. Full OS updates were done with SMS messages telling me how to download and update with Kies.

I'm coming from a Captivate as well, and while I agree on Kies, I don't believe their is a build for the Note (only looked briefly) but I couldn't find one anywhere. Plus, Kies mini sucked, maybe they realized this and went OTA, who knows.

I doubt they would just randomly release the ICS update. There would probably be an announcement on their Twitter page before they begin rolling out the ICS update.

You're new to AT&T, aren't you lol. Every time they "release" something on Twitter, it never applies to 'Merica. When they released Gingerbread for my Captivate, I found out via Facebook--three days later. Also, any time they said "update will be available in March" it didn't come to August, so they probably are trying to better keep things under wrap.

Last edited:

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site

That's because the Captivate (and other older Samsung Android phones) wasn't capable of doing OTA Firmware updates whereas models like the GS2, Skyrocket, and Note are capable. I do agree that it's probably not the ICS update but once it does get released we will be able to apply it OTA.

Pretty much all of the recent ICS updates pushed to the different variants of the GS2 lately have been reported by end users before it became "Official". Notably, the Telstra GS2 was reported by tips from consumers before Telstra confirmed it:

Here is an article from April 26 showing reports of the update being pushed:
Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich update now rolling out to the Samsung Galaxy S II on Telstra | Ausdroid

And here is Telstra confirming it a day later on April 27:
Samsung Galaxy S II gets Ice Cream Sandwich | Telstra Exchange

I know I'm being too optimistic about this but I feel we can still be surprised eventually down the road. :p :)

dakid2k6

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna check when I get home or at a hotspot. Working now so I can't check. I sure hope its ICS or even an update to iron out the small kinks will be good in my book.

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna check when I get home or at a hotspot. Working now so I can't check. I sure hope its ICS or even an update to iron out the small kinks will be good in my book.

I think more or less that it was a false alarm. @btswein has already mentioned that the prompt has disappeared after a "cache wipe" and I already checked as well and nothing.

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Another reason I think ICS will be installed via Kies on a PC is the file is large and AT&T wants to save you money on your data plan. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootje