Update?

apoc53

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Mess up rooted phone bad. Just an FYI

Oi, what an understatement. They give persistent popups until you update. If you're rooted, this is what to expect:

Phone will reboot. On reboot, it'll go to a black screen and briefly flash a graphic of an Android being upgraded. He's standing, he's happy, and he's got a glowing box in his chest compartment. Then, it all changes. Suddenly, he's on his back. His eyes are dead. And he's got a big red exclamation coming out of his chest compartment. Go ahead - pull your battery. I'll wait.

Okay, battery back in, reboot your phone. I'll wait on your "Android is Upgrading" dialog to rebuild your Dalvik cache. That done? Great. Go ahead and open your lock screen and head to settings. I want to see if the upgrade somehow went, or if you can try again. Oh, what's that? The phone just rebooted on its own? And the happy Android just died again? Welcome to a recursive loop.

So, the question is, how to fix it? I'd read in this thread previously that a rooted phone might have problems with the upgrade but I didn't expect it to brick the damn phone. I've tried using the recovery option on the phone (CW recovery), and I've tried to "fix permissions" - none of that jazz worked. I guess I'll go to HTC's site and re-download the driver for the phone to see if I can PC/USB my way back to having a usable device.

Oh, and don't bother with AT&T. The guy at the local store gave me a card for a "third party" business that "deals with that kind of thing", and told me AT&T had no liability since it's not AT&T's software. Yes, he said this after I told him "the OTA update pushed out by AT&T soft bricked my phone". I figured, since he was young-ish and seemed to be competent, this lingo would be understood. Guess not. He also gave me the customer service number ("611"; that's hard to remember, but he gave it to me 3 times) - Customer Service was very polite, but asked questions like, "Can you make a call?" and "How many bars of signal do you have?" This ingenious troubleshooting came after I explained the situation - phone reboots on its own, locks up, waits for me to pull the battery. "How many bars of signal? Must be over 9,000 because the awesomeness rocked this poor dead android to Hell and back."

Oi vey. Troubleshooting advice would be most welcome.

apoc53

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
AT&T's site is garbage - in the afforementioned link describing the update, AT&T has a broken link for HTC's website for manual installs. Here's the working one - note the "success!" screenshot does show the correct update version (3.26.502.56.71ORD):
HTC Vivid
File size is 444MB, plus you've gotta have HTC Sync installed on your PC. Haven't found it yet

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The screen shots on the at&t site also are incorrect. Re: Juice Defender I didn't have a backup. But I had very little customised so, not a big concern. I did hold my breath a few times as the update went through its paces but had no issues and don't really notice much of a difference, but also don't know what to look for...

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

apoc53

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Seems like maybe I'm the only one here that got stuck? Well, anyway, the two links I posted above don't work. Not because they're broken or because the software is non-functional - no, they don't work because where I'm at right now, I can't boot the phone yet the above software requires you to have your phone booted and switched from "Charge Only" to "PC Sync" mode. Still messing with it, because I don't feel like paying someone else to do what I should be able to do on my own, and for something that was ultimately caused by AT&T (note earlier in this thread I said I was content with not upgrading; 2 days of AT&T nagging me every 4 or 8 hours later, I caved).

apoc53

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Boot Loop Fix for Rooted HTC Vivid Phones

Grrr... Now I've got another unnecessary factory reset to settle in with. Just goes to show ya - Google first, modify second. The links above turn out to be useless, anyway - the 444MB file is just the ICS update 3.26.502.56710RD from ~March. The recent update is a 13MB firmware patch at 3.26.502.56_R23. AT&T wasn't incredibly clear on that, but in retrospect, it's so clear.

Since I got home from work, I have spent all night on this. Hope my mini-diary here saves someone - anyone - else from unnecessarily frakking up their phone.

lilme08

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Is there any real noticable difference? I haven't been able to tell.

Udayakiran

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
The update has changed only 2 things.
1. The playstore where i can see wish list and ability to delete from my apps All.
2. The stock browser shows google with a side bar aka FB.
dont see anything related to performance or UI

fiveHellions

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree the play store updates itself all the time without an OTA. I'm on a custom rom and have not gotten this update. I have the new whishlists and the ability to remove apps from the all apps list. Not sure about stock browser since I use chrome.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The sidebar doesn't show up on Firefox or Opera. It is on the stock browser. I admit to being surprised at that...

rantonio871

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I received & completed the OTA update last night. I noticed that my bluetooth connection on the Vivid connects & dis-connects or does not connect at all, with my car. Never had that issue prior to the update. In addition, when my phone is connected via bluetooth in my car, the contacts are not all fully downloaded for hands-free calling. Never had that issue either prior to the update!

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I received a call via Bluetooth on the way home, and subsequently made a call... I don't actually make many calls on my phone though :)

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Since updating there have been a couple of instances where I get notification that the correct time couldn't be set. I'm assuming this is a system notification and not from a particular app or something. Meanwhile the correct time displays anyway, so I just ignore this. But I would still like to know what this is about. Anyone else seeing this?

apoc53

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
No, but I've noticed the system time is sometimes up to 10 minutes behind real time. A notification in this case would be nice !

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
All I have to say on the matter to the ones who bricked their phone updating while rooted, your ignorance killed it. As for these weird Bluetooth instances, as with all HTC OTA small updates, there is always a small bug, so I never update unless it's a whole OS update. And for whoever was talking about the Google Play store not updating, just open it, press MENU, Settings, and there should be a button for "Check for Downloads". And if not, just Google the newest update and download the .apk. Anyone else need help?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow