[UPDATED 12/30/2012][Sprint Only]UnRoot and Return to stock

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: UnRoot and Return to stock

I don't know why I'm having so much trouble right now, but I am for some reason. My phone says that I have an Android system update. I click restart & install thinking that will get rid of it asking me, but I'm still getting the constant reminders. Where do I go to find this update and how do I go about installing it? I just want the notification to go away.

Are you completely stock with stock recovery? Go to about device in your settings. What is the build number?

cradle667

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. I haven't installed any ROM's before so I'm afraid I'm going to do something wrong when I do this. Also, should I unfreeze all apps that are frozen with Titanium Backup? and what's the difference between odexed and deodexed? Do I need to download all of those zip files?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

Thanks. I haven't installed any ROM's before so I'm afraid I'm going to do something wrong when I do this. Also, should I unfreeze all apps that are frozen with Titanium Backup? and what's the difference between odexed and deodexed? Do I need to download all of those zip files?

download the firmware and odexed. Odexed is for those that don't intend to flash mods or themes.

Go here to find out more about flashing.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=210987

cradle667

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

Ok, thanks for all the help. I have one last question, I guess I'm still a n00b at this. What do you mean by download the firmware? Is that the MB1 or something else that I'm missing? I hate to be a bother, I'm sure you get tired of all the repetitive questions.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

Ok, thanks for all the help. I have one last question, I guess I'm still a n00b at this. What do you mean by download the firmware? Is that the MB1 or something else that I'm missing? I hate to be a bother, I'm sure you get tired of all the repetitive questions.

It's two parts. Read the thread. Firmware is your modern/radio you will flash it first. Then you will flash the pre rooted ROM.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

What version of the baseband (modem) and Build number are you running now? Look at Settings / About device, and give us the last three digits (should be something like LJ7, MA6 or MB1).

Are you rooted?

Emmy Emm

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
yes im being recognized by Odin, and yes i have a com and a number in the id com block. the drivers have a green check mark so they appear to be installed corectly. the first time i installed drivers on my pc to root my phone it worked fine, on the first try but now i cant unroot it.

cradle667

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I forgot to ask this yesterday. When you said that Odexed is if you don't plan to flash mods or themes, does that include ROMs? If I plan to flash a ROM at some point should I flash deodexed? And since I'm LJ7 right now, do I need to update to MA6 before I do MB1?

cradle667

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Last thing. I got frustrated and returned my phone to stock/unrooted. Now I have an update and when I choose Restart/Install, it does a countdown and stays stuck at "Rebooting Now." The install never occurs and now I'm worried I've messed up my phone somehow. Everything works fine, I just can't get the update to install. Any help is greatly appreciated.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You can flash ROMs fine with the Odexed or Deodexed versions.

On the second question, what process did you use to return to stock, unrooted? Did you run Triangle Away before you unrooted? In Settings / About device, what are the Android version, Baseband version, Kernel and Build number? And at the top of that page, tap Status, scroll to the bottom. What does it say for Device Status?

Finally, are you sure you're on the stock recovery, and not still on CWM or TWRP?

phippsy84

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
yes im being recognized by Odin, and yes i have a com and a number in the id com block. the drivers have a green check mark so they appear to be installed corectly. the first time i installed drivers on my pc to root my phone it worked fine, on the first try but now i cant unroot it.

Make sure you have it set to reboot automatically when flashing the stock tar in Odin

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I just did this and it worked but now I am trying to download an ota update but it says it's going to reboot and install and never does.

cradle667

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
You can flash ROMs fine with the Odexed or Deodexed versions.

On the second question, what process did you use to return to stock, unrooted? Did you run Triangle Away before you unrooted? In Settings / About device, what are the Android version, Baseband version, Kernel and Build number? And at the top of that page, tap Status, scroll to the bottom. What does it say for Device Status?

Finally, are you sure you're on the stock recovery, and not still on CWM or TWRP?

I ran triangle away and followed the steps in the OP. Android version 4.1.1, Baseband L710VPBLJ7, Kernel 3.0.31?329968, build JRO03L.L710VPBLJ7. Device Status is normal. Stock recovery as well.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
A couple of things to check: First, go to Settings / About device / Status, and scroll to the bottom. What does it say for Device Status?

Next, run this program and see what it tells you: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e/search?q=root+checker&c=apps&token=Lusyyv86 I'm pretty sure it will say you're not rooted, but just to be sure... Let me know what happens.

Now, let's make sure you're on the stock recovery, if you haven't already. What recovery did you install when you rooted (CWM or TWRP)? Do the Power / Home / Volume Up deal, and see if you still have that recovery or if you're in stock. The stock recovery is all text based, and will have a few basic options that can be selected by using the volume up and down keys. Once you've verified your recovery, reboot the phone.

If root checker says you're not rooted, you're on stock recovery, double check the flash counter. Shut the phone off, and boot into download mode: Power, Home, and Volume Down. Hold all three keys until you get a prompt, then release and press Volume Up. Let me know what the flash counter reports.

If System doesn't say Modified, and flash counter is 0, then I'm at a loss as to why the OTA won't work. But, you can still upgrade by first following the procedure in post #1 of this thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/252327-your-way-update-ma6.html , followed by post #1 of this one:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/257471-your-way-update-mb1.html

After you do the update to MA6, you may actually get the OTA for MB1, but if not do it manually, as described above.

theshiznet2004

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Man....a million thanks to you. I had my wife's S3 flashed....and the guy used Jellybomb Rom...it maybe a great rom but my wife hated it....way too much blue and you can't customize or change a lot of it. I reverted back to stock with your instructions. The phone is running the software from your link and it held the flash....everything works perfect! Thanks thanks thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djboulette