Verizon Caller ID Suggestion?

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello All,

Verizon offers a service for $2.99 per month for caller ID and spam calling protection... anyone use it?

Or do you recommend the apps out there like Hiya, etc. Using Note 9.

Thanks!
R

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I use Calls Blacklist and block any numbers I don't want to be bothered with (but it will ring once, before the callerID is sent). For robodialers - no one but the carrier the person (or company) using the robodialer can stop that, and we'd need a law to require that - which we're not going to see until 2021 at the earliest. (Robodialers are good for companies, so the current government won't ban them, no matter how bad they are for the people they annoy.) But don't feel bad about doing a "pickup-hangup" if you realize that the number is a robodialer. (Or start your VM message with the SIT [special information tone - the one you get for disconnected numbers], and most robodialers will hang up. If you can't find it, I have a copy at http://rukbatsramblings.ddns.net/wordpress/sit-tone.wav for download.)

hooligan03

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Verizons caller ID. it works pretty good. it's got 3 different levels of setting for blocking calls. it rings once sometimes and then gets blocked. some are auto blocked. I'm at the high risk setting to block everything unknown. for 3 bucks a month, I think it's worth it as robots calls are just gonna get worse. I heard they were supposed to start implementing a free service but not sure when.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Folks... I am most interested in good caller ID / lookup. Certainly if it is a known spammer it is good to block it, but easy enough for me to hit ignore.

Thanks,
R

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Robodialers are good for companies

This baffles me. Every single person I know is annoyed by robo calls. I am completely put off by any company that pesters me with that crap, usually ignoring the do-not-call registry to do it. Who in the world is responding to these calls by purchasing from them? How are these calls good for any company?

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I use Google voice so and really like it. It will transfer settings and history to any Android phone you log into with your Google account.

For Robo call defense I use SHOULD I ANSWER. It's icon is a green octopus. It is community based and edited. If someone blocks a robocaller or nuisance caller, the owner is blocked when they call you.

Last edited:

Thinair1911

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
This baffles me. Every single person I know is annoyed by robo calls. I am completely put off by any company that pesters me with that crap, usually ignoring the do-not-call registry to do it. Who in the world is responding to these calls by purchasing from them? How are these calls good for any company?

Mini read most robos are fakes just fishing for cc numbers. I find that most robo numbers are actually from phones that are not in service. Dose any one know how this works?

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Mini read most robos are fakes just fishing for cc numbers. I find that most robo numbers are actually from phones that are not in service. Dose any one know how this works?

I get many trash calls from numbers with same area code and prefix as my number. It's like they are attempting to dupe folks intuitive thinking it is someone on their plan. That shouldn't work too, since I would think virtually all folks on the same plan have each other even in contacts by name.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
For Robo call defense I use SHOULD I ANSWER. It's icon is a green octopus. It is community based and edited. If someone blocks a robocaller or nuisance caller, the owner is blocked when they call you.
Agreed - I've been using "Should I Answer" for a couple of years now and like it a lot. Does the job for me as well!

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I have an unlocked Verizon... my choices for now are Phone Plus voice mail to sub for premium visual voice mail (1.99 per month) and Hiya premium for caller ID handling (15/ year).

I hope Hiya does a good job.

Thanks for all the input, guys!

R

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I use the Verizon caller ID version. It works good plus identifies the number calling. The only thing I would like to see added to this service is once I block a number it blocks the number 100%. What I mean by that is that call does not get sent to my voicemail, instead they just get 2 quick tones and disconnected. I have them on the block list for a reason, I don't want to get the sales pitch thru voicemail either. Heck, I don't even want to see it as a missed call.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I use the Verizon caller ID version. It works good plus identifies the number calling. The only thing I would like to see added to this service is once I block a number it blocks the number 100%. What I mean by that is that call does not get sent to my voicemail, instead they just get 2 quick tones and disconnected. I have them on the block list for a reason, I don't want to get the sales pitch thru voicemail either. Heck, I don't even want to see it as a missed call.

SHOULD I ANSWER all do all of that with the exception that you will get a notification that a call was blocked. I think that's a good thing, because it may be a number I want to receive, but others have blocked it. Slim chance, but the possibility does exist.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
SHOULD I ANSWER all do all of that with the exception that you will get a notification that a call was blocked. I think that's a good thing, because it may be a number I want to receive, but others have blocked it. Slim chance, but the possibility does exist.
That's true, that's why I was saying once I block it.

TX Jedi

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
I use the paid Verizon service and it has mostly kept the voicemails away. When I used to block calls manually, I would still get all the voicemails. Also, it doesn't even show missed calls in notification area when it's a spam call. I will usually hear a very brief phone ring before it gets dumped. I have been happy with this service so far. It's worth the price to me just to not have all the voicemails.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I started using the Verizon app a few days ago after reading this thread.I really like it so far. I had forgotten how nice it is to have real caller ID.

Last edited: