Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Prime) Waiting Room

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
well, that is a lot of devices to be releasing. i wouldn't be surprised if some of those aren't real. but, for the GT-19250, those match up exactly with what Phil said at the start of this thread. maybe a coincidence, but i tend to lean towards corroboration...

KittenMittens

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
The way I see it, Samsung isn't going to come out and confirm anything, so their two options are to ignore it and not make any public comment, or to deny it, and with the US release of the Galaxy S II, I think they would rather not sway any potential buyers to hold out for their later phones. Also, many sites did post the wrong specs on a few phones as I mentioned a few posts back, so technically Samsung is right that they were inaccurate, but that doesn't really mean the entire thing was fake, just that some specs were off, as we know that many of those model numbers are already on Samsung's official support sites. I'd say that info on the GT-I9250 is pretty solid, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't the Nexus Prime. I hope we'll get some leaked pictures soon.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yea, they said it was inaccurate, not false. It's all about word play. An example is last year everyone kept saying Samsung and Google were making a Nexus 2. They denied making a Nexus 2, and they weren't lying technically because it was the Nexus S. Also, Google said they don't need another Nexus, but made one because they wanted to. Just PR at work. Don't know what's inaccurate about the list, but I too think the GT-I9250 is legit and is the Nexus Prime.

Toyman317

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
So with the Galaxy S 2 coming out on all carriers and then possibly the Nexus coming out on all carriers, how much do you think Android will chip into Apple's share of the pie then???? :) It could get interesting, especially if you have a lot of Apple stock.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
So with the Galaxy S 2 coming out on all carriers and then possibly the Nexus coming out on all carriers, how much do you think Android will chip into Apple's share of the pie then???? :) It could get interesting, especially if you have a lot of Apple stock.

As much as I would like to see Apple stock tank, I dont think its in danger

Sent from my Transformer

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
i agree. that stock is pretty much bullet proof. but, the iOS mkt share is another story. it will be interesting to see the end of the year numbers, and whether Andy keeps climbing in mkt share. iOS seems to have largely levelled out.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
i agree. that stock is pretty much bullet proof. but, the iOS mkt share is another story. it will be interesting to see the end of the year numbers, and whether Andy keeps climbing in mkt share. iOS seems to have largely levelled out.

Agreed. I've always hated the fact that they take into account all iOS devices. It always skews the #s

Sent from my Transformer

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
look at post 433 in this thread. KittenMittens did some calcs to show that a 4.6" screen will not change the dimensions of the device when compared with a 4.3" screen. this is because the newer phones are elimination the hard/capacitive touch menu buttons at the bottom, and will simply be incorporating them into the software/screen.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
The way I see it, Samsung isn't going to come out and confirm anything, so their two options are to ignore it and not make any public comment, or to deny it, and with the US release of the Galaxy S II, I think they would rather not sway any potential buyers to hold out for their later phones. Also, many sites did post the wrong specs on a few phones as I mentioned a few posts back, so technically Samsung is right that they were inaccurate, but that doesn't really mean the entire thing was fake, just that some specs were off, as we know that many of those model numbers are already on Samsung's official support sites. I'd say that info on the GT-I9250 is pretty solid, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't the Nexus Prime. I hope we'll get some leaked pictures soon.

For my money means the Lithuanian site isn't credible, and it's basically a coincidence that the specs line up.

Brandon

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
For the people that are having a hard time grasping a 4.6 inch screen on a phone, I decided to cut out a piece of paper to the exact dimensions of this display, and place it over my Thunderbolt to show how small of a difference it actually is.

There are lots of calculators online that can calculate the exact dimensions of a screen for you, I use this one...

DPI Calculator / PPI Calculator

You can't calculate length and width of a display with just the diagonal length unless you have the aspect ratio or resolution, fortunately we know that this display will mostly likely be 720p (or 720 wide by 1280 tall - in portrait mode that is), so we can easily calculate the exact dimensions of the screen. The cool thing about these calculators too is that if you know the diagonal length and the resolution you can also calculate the pixel density.

Also it's worth mentioning that when comparing displays on two different phones, even when the diagonal length is the same, if they have don't have the same aspect ratio they will have different dimensions, for example the Droid X and Droid X2 (both 4.3 inch) are 16:9 since the resolution is 480 x 854 (Droid X), and 540 x 960 (Droid X2), so those two displays have the same exact dimensions however the Thunderbolt, which is also 4.3 inch, is 5:3 (15:9 if you do the math) since the resolution is 480 x 800, meaning that when you compare the Droid X or X2 with the Thunderbolt you'll notice the display on the Droid X / X2 is actually a bit skinnier and longer (more rectangular) where as the Thunderbolt is a little bit wider and shorter (more square), although the difference isn't as dramatic as it sounds.

So, using the calculator we can find the exact dimensions of the Thunderbolt's display and compare it to the dimensions of the rumored Nexus Prime's display...

Thunderbolt - 4.3 inch, 480 x 800 = 2.21" (W) ?— 3.69" (H) - with 216.97 ppi

Nexus Prime - 4.6 inch, 720 x 1280 = 2.26" (W) ?— 4.01" (H) - with 319.26 ppi

So as you can see the difference in length (vertically in portrait) is about .32 inches (4.01 - 3.69) , and the difference in width (horizontally in portrait) is a mere .05 inches (2.26 - 2.21).

Here are the pictures...

With the first picture, I merged two photos with both screens aligned at the top left corner to show the difference in length and width of the screens...

2hq8baq.jpg

Here I centered the paper more around the bezel to show how much room they could have and still keep the same form factor.

24lm0e8.jpg

Sorry for the long post..

For those who didnt read this thread from the beginning or missed this post.

Bestphonever

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I wonder where the lock/unlock button will go. Also, the bezel better not be that big on the bottom. If it's the same as the sides of a normal phone, this phone might be even smaller than the 4.3 inch screen phones we're used to.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I wonder where the lock/unlock button will go. Also, the bezel better not be that big on the bottom. If it's the same as the sides of a normal phone, this phone might be even smaller than the 4.3 inch screen phones we're used to.

The unlock buttons, volume rockers, and camera buttons will still remain as physical buttons. How else would you turn on your phone if your unlock button was a software button when your phone is off :p.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site

God I hope so. I don't want a Nexus the size of an EVO

Sent from my Transformer

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The unlock buttons, volume rockers, and camera buttons will still remain as physical buttons. How else would you turn on your phone if your unlock button was a software button when your phone is off :p.

Easy. The Nokia N9 running Meego is always semi awake so double tapping the display turns it on and you can then proceed to unlocking it. :)

Course, a power button is probably still needed because you still have to power off/on the device.

Bestphonever

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I meant the location, the top like traditional android phones, or the side like the Samsung galaxy s line.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Maybe you will just give it a good shake to turn on.:) I do hope their are some buttons. I would hate to have a toggle switch for volume... How about pushing in the camera lens or Speaker grill , that would be a cool power button....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796