Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
At least the statement from Verizon mentions that the certification process will take around 4 to 6 weeks. I wonder what would happen if the Nexus 7 failed certification?

The only thing Verizon does quickly is taking your money out of your account.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The only thing Verizon does quickly is taking your money out of your account.

It's too bad that the other companies don't expand their network coverage to match Verizon's. Maybe we just need to have Google bring Project Loon everywhere. I wouldn't mind balloon-powered internet in my neighborhood.

Project Loon

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
It's too bad that the other companies don't expand their network coverage to match Verizon's. Maybe we just need to have Google bring Project Loon everywhere. I wouldn't mind balloon-powered internet in my neighborhood.

Project Loon

Verizon size has to do with the mergers that were allowed. That allowed them to have all that access to the towers and coverage. Long term it might be better for the consumer when it comes to coverage but not when it comes to pricing and control.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
My neighbor is a VZW Engineer and just got his brand new Nexus 7 LTE and loves it and has no clue what stick is up his employers ****.

According to his tests the device has no way to negatively affect the VZW network and his speculation at this point is that VZW is having issues with the 3G provisioning systems.

Essentially when one activates an LTE SIM either in store / over the phone / or via the Web the system at the same looks for a device's MEID or ESN to activate it's CDMA side.

As the Nexus 7 does not have a CDMA side the system gets stuck as its unable to get past the CDMA provisioning stage. According to my neighbor VZW is unable to just active a SIM regardless of device.

He said VZW has to in some way figure out a bypass and they should be able to activate Sims without worrying about CDMA.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea when LTE will be supported by Verizon?

Any new information out there?

Thanks.

Well as long as you have a provisioned sim you don't have to worry. I would imagine though that it will be fairly soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
My neighbor is a VZW Engineer and just got his brand new Nexus 7 LTE and loves it and has no clue what stick is up his employers ****.

According to his tests the device has no way to negatively affect the VZW network and his speculation at this point is that VZW is having issues with the 3G provisioning systems.

Essentially when one activates an LTE SIM either in store / over the phone / or via the Web the system at the same looks for a device's MEID or ESN to activate it's CDMA side.

As the Nexus 7 does not have a CDMA side the system gets stuck as its unable to get past the CDMA provisioning stage. According to my neighbor VZW is unable to just active a SIM regardless of device.

He said VZW has to in some way figure out a bypass and they should be able to activate Sims without worrying about CDMA.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

That's what I figured. It has to do with their cdma lookup system.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

doublestack1

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Received my unlocked LTE device yesterday. I assume I cannot insert my iPad sim since it is provisioned for 3G/CDMA. The same goes for my Note2 sim I suppose.

Can anyone suggest a short term option for mobile data other than hotspot tethering? haven't been an AT&T or T-Mobile customer in some time. Do either of those carriers offer a pay as you go data-only plan?

All my eggs are in the VZW basket at this point. Thanks

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I assume I cannot insert my iPad sim since it is provisioned for 3G/CDMA. The same goes for my Note2 sim I suppose.

Don't assume. If the SIM fits (or you have an adapter) give it a shot. The provisioning they are talking about has nothing to do with the actual SIM.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Received my unlocked LTE device yesterday. I assume I cannot insert my iPad sim since it is provisioned for 3G/CDMA. The same goes for my Note2 sim I suppose.

Can anyone suggest a short term option for mobile data other than hotspot tethering? haven't been an AT&T or T-Mobile customer in some time. Do either of those carriers offer a pay as you go data-only plan?

partially incorrect... I used my Moto X nano sim in an iPad Mini and it shows as a device there now instead of the Moto X.

As long as it is a LTE device you're golden. I plan on using my nano sim in a micro adapter and plugging it into N7 when it arrives Tuesday.

ew800

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone is seeing any signs that Verizon is getting close to officially supporting SIM's for the N7 LTE??

Adam Leon

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I made an account just to reply to this thread. I originally heard about the issues from Jeff Jarvis on twitter, then found this thread from Google. Thanks to all those (like Spirk) who were diligent about making it work. I decided to take my Nexus 7 down to Verizon just to see what would happen. I had a very similar experience to many of those who have posted. 45 minutes of arguing with the sales rep. Without some of the info posted here I wouldn't have been able to argue so proficiently. Eventually we went from "It won't ever work" to "Yeah you can just buy a $0.99 4G phone and use that SIM." Keep in mind the only reason I would need to buy a new device is that my Droid 3 has a global 3G SIM. I particularly enjoy arguing with Verizon so this was a fun way to kill some time. If you also enjoy this sort of thing I highly recommend going in to your local store for some fun. They deserve it for trying to pull this sort of crap.

Provided the speeds are equivalent I will still be activating through ATT on principle.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Att offers pay as you. If you want a 100 dollar discount then 2 year commitment. 30 dolars gets you 3gb of data.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

oldsurferjoe

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I did this - used the generated IMEI online to add device - showed as a Samsung Galaxy Tab™ (7.7) 16GB - $10 a month add - no charge for activation - new sim card will be here tomorrow! Will update after receipt.

Updated: 10/04/2013

Have my sim card from Verizon - it is activated and working. My New nexus 7 is now on the Verizon network $10 add to our share everything plan.

10 mg down 10 meg up - speed test.

Using Google Voice with GrooveIP - can text and make calls - not bad!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
OK, here is what happened to me. I went to the Verizon store and tried to get a SIM. No dice, of course. Then tonight, I reactivated my old Verizon iPad 3 SIM (which was only deactivated yesterday, at the end of my billing cycle). I immediately put the SIM in the Nexus 7 and it works fine, great actually.

The only thing is that I am selling the iPad 3 to my father-in-law, and I am wondering if I can do so without a SIM in it.

yoshi351

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Would this work? I have a mobile hotspot, would taking the Sim card out of the hotspot work in the nexus 7? I rather have a tablet on my account instead of a hotspot which is $20. This is on Verizon.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
OK, here is what happened to me. I went to the Verizon store and tried to get a SIM. No dice, of course. Then tonight, I reactivated my old Verizon iPad 3 SIM (which was only deactivated yesterday, at the end of my billing cycle). I immediately put the SIM in the Nexus 7 and it works fine, great actually.

The only thing is that I am selling the iPad 3 to my father-in-law, and I am wondering if I can do so without a SIM in it.

I cannot speak with any authority but I do not believe that a SIM is tied to a device.

Dan

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think you actually should sell the device without a sim, regardless of the nexus 7. I believe one asim is activated, it is tied to that account for which it was activated. It can't be reprovisioned.

SIM cards are basically free at Verizon (as long as it is a corporate store) so whoever you sell it to, can go get their own sim card at a Verizon corporate store, or order one online for free.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The sim should work fine, but until VZW upgrades their system, the sim can't tell Verizon it is in a tablet (because the nexus 7 doesn't have cdma capability) so vzw will continue to bill as a hot spot device

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadadmusa45