Verizon Upgrade Woes

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I was due for an upgrade. That $30 upgrade fee just didn't sit well with me, so I went to Craigslist. I got an as good as new phone, under warranty by the manufacturer, for cheaper than vz was charging. And the only reason I thought to look was because of big red's greed.

Sent from my Rezound intermittently, while chasing a toddler & an infant, using Android Central Forums

Yikes! That seems like a big risk to take just to avoid a $30 fee, not to mention getting a used phone. Personally, I'll take the fee and a brand new untouched by anyone but the factory phone. But that's just me. I don't like used stuff, especially when it comes to high end electronics. :)

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
To be honest I've been with AT&T since the data of Cingular. Upgrade fee everytime I got a new phone. In my mind I just added it to the cost of the phone. Plus if your going to use an upgrade fee as an excuse to change carrier the new carrier is going to charge you an new activation fee. So no way around it unless you got prepaid. Then hello horrible phone selection and even crappier data plans.

Last edited:

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
To be honest I've been with AT&T since the data of Cingular. Upgrade fee everytime I got a new phone. In my mind I just added it to the cost of the phone. Plus if your going to use an upgrade fee as an excuse to change carrier the new carrier is going to charge you an new activation fee. So no way around it unless you got prepaid. Then hello horrible phone selection and even crappier data plans.

I understand where you're coming from, but from a Verizon customer's perspective, it sucks that VZW holds the phone hostage for $300, plus $30 for the hell of it.
By the time the phone starts becoming old news, it drops to $199 + $30 upgrade fee, which still totals to more money than Sprint or AT&T would charge for their brand new releases (aside from iPhone).
We're already getting pounded by the 4G tax ($100), I don't want to have to pay the iPhone tax when I don't even like the damn thing.

blackbyrd

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Yikes! That seems like a big risk to take just to avoid a $30 fee, not to mention getting a used phone. Personally, I'll take the fee and a brand new untouched by anyone but the factory phone. But that's just me. I don't like used stuff, especially when it comes to high end electronics. :)

I had them meet me at vzw, and had a tech check the phone and esn. So I still have my upgrade if needed and I didn't have to change my contract. So far, no issues , and I'm loving my rezound! I like new stuff too, but I'm very happy with my purchase.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I had them meet me at vzw, and had a tech check the phone and esn. So I still have my upgrade if needed and I didn't have to change my contract. So far, no issues , and I'm loving my rezound! I like new stuff too, but I'm very happy with my purchase.

There is always a risk buying used. If it worked fine in the store but an hour later, crapped out on you, then you would have been SOL. Some aren't willing to take that chance.

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I understand where you're coming from, but from a Verizon customer's perspective, it sucks that VZW holds the phone hostage for $300, plus $30 for the hell of it.
By the time the phone starts becoming old news, it drops to $199 + $30 upgrade fee, which still totals to more money than Sprint or AT&T would charge for their brand new releases (aside from iPhone).
We're already getting pounded by the 4G tax ($100), I don't want to have to pay the iPhone tax when I don't even like the damn thing.

The one x was $200 and the note $300 at launch. Still also around those prices. So even they are charging higher prices for phones. I don't see the gs3 being less than those. I do also have a rezound through Verizon so I have both carriers. One is a work phone but I do still pay for it and its in my name.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
In addition to my two Rezounds, I have a HTC 4glte phone with 4.7" and 16mp camera and you can clearly tell that the 4.7" is larger. I have another 4.3" samsung phone with a super amoled and the super amoled has its benefits. I have too many smartphones. :lol: well, those two items got for free, no contract with trade in.

Based on Motorola's Chinese releases, it's safe to assume that it'll have a similar if not identical form factor of the Razr, but the camera will be bumped up in megapixels and the screen will sport HD resolution. It's highly likely that it'll ship with ICS as well. Everyone is expecting the Maxx battery to be there, too.
If all this is worth two extra C notes to you (assuming the Razr Maxx dips down to $99), then wait it out. To me, it's not. So I'll scoop up the Maxx on sale. The screen is plenty good as it is.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
In addition to my two Rezounds, I have a HTC 4glte phone with 4.7" and 16mp camera and you can clearly tell that the 4.7" is larger. I have another 4.3" samsung phone with a super amoled and the super amoled has its benefits. I have too many smartphones. :lol: well, those two items got for free, no contract with trade in.

Wait, what? HTC 4G LTE with 16 MP camera? I've never heard of this.
I'm assuming you have phones from Europe and/or Asia, right?

b_leonard

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking to try and upgrade one of my lines on my family plan before the Great Data Depression of 2012 / Verizon bending us over, and have such a difficult time looking at that $30 upgrade fee before checkout. In my effort to try and get that waived or at least offset the cost with a discount, I hit up a representative.
I argued that technically, me having a Rezound and getting a Droid 4 or Razr Maxx was considered a downgrade, and Verizon should waive the fee plus give me a $30 downgrade credit. I didn't even get a chuckle from the service rep. Those stiffs at Big Red have no sense of humor.
There was pretty much no angle I could approach successfully. Unfairness of the "new contract" discount not being valid for current customer upgrades, the $100 off Moto sale not counting toward the Razr Maxx, the whole "I'll just let my contract lapse and take my business elsewhere" bit, nada.
$30 for nothing? Is Verizon that strapped for cash? They might as well ask people to come to the store for their new phone, then mug them at knife-point in the parking lot.
/rant. Thanks for reading.

I want to know why they charge even if you get the phone online. It's not like they are doing anything for me. In fact I'm doing everything myself.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There's no way you took that photo, it's from engadget. I demand a timestamp if you own the phone!

It is a stock photo from engadget. I don't know why you guys keep up with your disbelief. The phone was released over a month ago. The phone is readily available for purchase online, or you can go to a local retailer and buy it. Well, there was a shortage partially because they were giving them out for free no contract (with trade in)and partially because of the 16mp camera, but i don't believe that there is a shortage now.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Ah! I didn't catch on. The back of it didn't really remind me of the original Titan.
But Windows phone? :(

Hey there's nothing wrong with Windows phones.. They're solid phone with a great O.....bahbahbhbhahahahhahahaha ... sorry I almost made it through hahahahahhahahaha