VZW force pushing Firmware Update

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Trash theft isn't exactly an appropriate analogy to my using a small amount of data that I pay for thru a loophole the company provided.
Sorry if I am being somehow inappropriate. I just wanted to explain that, for me anyway, it is definitely not about having sympathy for Verizon.

dcviper

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Trash theft isn't exactly an appropriate analogy to my using a small amount of data that I pay for thru a loophole the company provided.

Actually, it's an excellent analogy, especially in light of Verizons switch to tiered data plans. Bandwidth in the mobile sector is not unlimited. By using a service you aren't paying for, you are increasing costs for the rest of us.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Helloneumann

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

First of all your not paying for it, second it's not a loop hole since you stated that you pulled the battery to stop it. Taking something that doesn't belong to you from a billion dollar company or a $10 company is still stealing. You can rationalize all you want but it is.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Why can't we just have a sticky on how to steal Verizon Wireless services so we all don't have to be constantly bombarded with this crap?

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Believe me Frank...I won't be posting anything of the sorts ever again. I rejected an update that takes up valuable real estate in a phone I purchased and also turns off something they provided free. I have received 9 additional days of free MHS, saving roughly $9 against my annual bill that exceeds $2,400 a year. I originally posted simply to inform someone who may not have realized it was happening and perhaps didn't want that update to take effect for reasons other than mine, such as the 4G handoff issues others have reprorted. What I discovered was a venomous response from people who aren't impacted even slightly by what I mentioned. Did I get one up on the system? Absolutely. How many times has the system got one up on me, with their continual pushing of things onto my phone that I do not want? Do you condemn the people who root their phones, so they can get updates that Verizon does not want them to have? I pay for unlimited data. I am not a thief. I am using a service Verizon provided and did not turn off. Eventually, they will and when they do, Ill add another $360 a year to my cell phone bill. In the meantime, Ill use my dollar a day savings subsidize my red bull habit. And Ill be a more informed forum poster knowing that there is a small, vocal minority of anal retentive corporate cheerleaders on the forum.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I pay for unlimited data. I am not a thief. I am using a service Verizon provided and did not turn off. Eventually, they will and when they do, Ill add another $360 a year to my cell phone bill. In the meantime, Ill use my dollar a day savings subsidize my red bull habit.

Except no one is playing God and judging your morals. Its just you and Verizon. And you are legally bound by contract, a contract which you signed your John Handcock on, stating you agree to take it up the ass from them anyway they see fit, and this includes getting charged $30 a month for use of a data connection you already pay for. If you seriously were unaware of the free feature period then the sales rep didn't do their job fully and you were uninformed. However this does not give you a green pass in the eyes of final judgement as to your thievery; a contracts a contract, and you're breaching it. As was stated earlier, it doesn't matter if you take the update or not, a date's a date and they know you're using it past the expiration.

Also I don't think Verizon cares about your Red Bull habit, they care about your obligation to play by their rules, rules that you agreed to. Here's hoping you don't get slapped with an ETF. Enjoy your caffeinated beverages.

Last edited by a moderator:

topinate

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Believe me Frank...I won't be posting anything of the sorts ever again. I rejected an update that takes up valuable real estate in a phone I purchased and also turns off something they provided free. I have received 9 additional days of free MHS, saving roughly $9 against my annual bill that exceeds $2,400 a year. I originally posted simply to inform someone who may not have realized it was happening and perhaps didn't want that update to take effect for reasons other than mine, such as the 4G handoff issues others have reprorted. What I discovered was a venomous response from people who aren't impacted even slightly by what I mentioned. Did I get one up on the system? Absolutely. How many times has the system got one up on me, with their continual pushing of things onto my phone that I do not want? Do you condemn the people who root their phones, so they can get updates that Verizon does not want them to have? I pay for unlimited data. I am not a thief. I am using a service Verizon provided and did not turn off. Eventually, they will and when they do, Ill add another $360 a year to my cell phone bill. In the meantime, Ill use my dollar a day savings subsidize my red bull habit. And Ill be a more informed forum poster knowing that there is a small, vocal minority of anal retentive corporate cheerleaders on the forum.

I hope you're right bud about contracts/proper notifications/ignorance and the sort because if you're wrong, I'd sure hate to be you when your bill comes in.

More power to you for doing something probably most of didn't think to do.

ambushbug73

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I pay for unlimited data. I am not a thief. I am using a service Verizon provided and did not turn off.

Technically, yes you are. It's called theft of services. Verizon attempted to push an update to stop you from having free access to one of their services. You made a concerted and premeditated decision to stop them from doing so by pulling the battery. I'm not giving you a hard time about it, couldn't care less. It's not my problem, it's Verizon's, but the fact remains it is a theft of services.

cegabq

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I have no objection to paying for the hotspots either and will once I HAVE to...but if that can be delayed it seems financially prudent to do so.

Agreed; still occasionally using the hotspot & have received no notice whatsoever that I have to pay. I also haven't seen any attempts from my phone to update. Maybe living in the hinterlands of NM pays off. :p

andunn31

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
It tried to install 3 different times today. I kept rejecting the update. I woke up this morning and it was half way downloaded so I stopped it.

tucker_dahlin

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of what you all seem to think, op will not be charged for mhs until Verizon either 1) pushes an update that clearly states mhs is no longer free, or 2) makes some other attempt to directly notify him that he will be charged for it. If they do charge, as he stated, they will remove the charges when he complains that it still said it was free. That's just how it's gonna go down, plain and simple. It makes little difference if there are technical specifications in his contract. And anyone with common sense knows they will never even consider pulling chat logs from AC (ridiculous...). If VZW cared enough to go any further then they would shoot for rooted users first, as there are many more of those than the very few ppl that might avoid a pushed update.

Reactions: weave majjik

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I just see no need to update my phone. I have had it for almost 2 weeks and not had a single reboot. In fact I have read a lot of complaints about the update.

I'm with you. The update wasn't about fixing anything. It was only to remove a promotional feature. I'm sure they will get it on my phone within the next few days and when the time comes, I will then return to being a contract abiding member of the Verizon Legion, paying for MHS and waiting for gingerbread. Then I will actually rape their bandwidth with Netflix.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
You couldn't be more incorrect. There is a pop up informing me the hotspots is still free. There is no date on the pop up. They never even told me about the hotspots when I bought the phone on release day. They cannot charge me for something without disclosing their intention to charge. They don't know that I read forums and android news sites. It is and will be free until they can push this update. And currently, like you, they fail.

Erm. You're dead wrong. They told their customers it ended on the 6th. They have done what is required of them. If you continue to use the hotspot, even if you haven't updated, they have the right to charge you.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Regardless of what you all seem to think, op will not be charged for mhs until Verizon either 1) pushes an update that clearly states mhs is no longer free, or 2) makes some other attempt to directly notify him that he will be charged for it. If they do charge, as he stated, they will remove the charges when he complains that it still said it was free. That's just how it's gonna go down, plain and simple. It makes little difference if there are technical specifications in his contract. And anyone with common sense knows they will never even consider pulling chat logs from AC (ridiculous...). If VZW cared enough to go any further then they would shoot for rooted users first, as there are many more of those than the very few ppl that might avoid a pushed update.
Its part of the contract he signed. It doesn't matter if he rejects the update or not. They can charge him (and probably will) for MHS if he continues to use it.

tucker_dahlin

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Its part of the contract he signed. It doesn't matter if he rejects the update or not. They can charge him (and probably will) for MHS if he continues to use it.

Yes, they could. But they more than likely wont without some sort of notification. If they do, a few min of playing ignorant on the phone will clear it up. I'd give it 99% certainty he will pay nothing in the end. I'll even bet ya, if you'd like.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MusicChris63