VZW force pushing Firmware Update

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
10 years ago the cable companies tried to do this same thing.. imaging having a router for each computer in your house? it was "illegal" and against their "tos" to connect more than 1 computer up to their internet connection.

now, 10 years later we're letting the wireless companies get away with THE VERY EXACT SAME THING.

Did you pay for each computer in your house that accessed your internet? Nope...and we shouldn't be forced to do it with cellular.
I guess I'm not old enough to have encountered the first situation you're referring to, so the answer to your question is no.

Nobody is forcing you do anything. You're free to purchase services from Verizon or not. If you want to negotiate the terms, you're free to do that too. I'm all for that. You're also free to purchase services from another provider if they provide you better service or terms that better suit your needs. Competition is good for the customer. Why do you bring up the idea of a company forcing you to do anything? It's not the sign of a well thought out argument.

To me it was always obvious that 'unlimited' data on a phone was an altoghether different category from 'unlimited data' on a computer, and the pricing differed accordingly. As phones and networks have progressed, this distinction has become blurred and you can now get a faster data connection on your phone than most home WiFi systems. So it is no surprise that Verizon is adjusting their pricing model accordingly. They've been successful in promoting their brand as a premium provider, able to provide higher quality services at a higher price than companies that provide lesser quality services as a commodity. I respect any company that is able to distinguish themselves as providing a higher quality product or services and generally prefer to do business with those companies that distinguish themselves in this manner. Up to a point, I don't mind paying a little more if I can trust that problems will be fewer and, when they arise, they will be resolved quickly with courtesy and professionalism. Makes my life more enjoyable. I don't mind paying a little more for that. I wish I had such a choice for my cable provider.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Again, can anyone answer "what does it matter how I use my 5GB?"

I'm being provided 5GB, regardless if it's phone data or laptop data, what does it matter how it's used? (aside from downloading illegal stuff)
It doesn't matter to me at all. Last time I looked at Verizon's tiered pricing, they're primarily charging you by how many GBs your phone pulls down, and nobody really expects them to enforce a distinction between how many GBs you actually used on your phone and how many GBs you shared with other phones/computers If you want the ability to let multiple devices pull down more GBs through your phone, they do expect you to pay for that capability. I suppose it costs a little more to provide support for that capability, but frankly I expect the tiers to eventually be based entirely on the number of GBs.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
However, a cease and desist would be the notification necessary to alter my behavior. Then i would have received notification of an intention to charge for said service. Lets assume for the sake of argument that I dont follow tech news. I just own a phone with a free hotspot feature. They didnt have pricing details on the service until roughly ten days ago. Perhaps I considered the update of little importance. Perhaps they pushed the update when my battery was dying. Regardless of circumstance, verizon has never informed me what the charge would be for this service or that this service was even available on my phone. I know because I read about these things. Many people are truly in the dark and they wouldnt charge until they made it clear of their intention to do so. There is no sense in attempting to make me feel morally devoid, as my actions harm no one and actually benefit me very little ($9 savings). I appreciate your insider knowledge on the subject.
It was part of the contract you would have signed to get the phone. It said it plain as day on the receipt that the MHS was a promotion with an end date. I also recall a Verizon text message saying that it was extended and the date it was ending.

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
It was part of the contract you would have signed to get the phone. It said it plain as day on the receipt that the MHS was a promotion with an end date. I also recall a Verizon text message saying that it was extended and the date it was ending.

Put down the corporate kool-aid...I will know tomorrow and I'm sure it will have been free an extra eleven days. And the world will move on, in spite of my treacherous behavior, and Verizon will somehow pull themselves from the rubble, like a phoenix rising from the ashes, still weary from the $11 blow I singlehandedly dealt them.

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
So, in light of yesterdays events, I called to activate the MHS feature and to see what, if any, my using the MHS after the promotion date expired, had on my bill.....

There was NO CHARGE. Zero. Zilch. And there will be no charge to anyone until an update has taken place. The rep I spoke with was very confident of this fact, saying "how could they charge when a pop up on the phone said it was free for a limited time with no specified end date on the pop up notification?"

So this concludes my saga, and I must say, being right was worth way more than $11.

Now if my phone that does darn near everything else, could have a built mobile air conditioner because it is HOT!!

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure admitting that you're purposefully declining the update to prevent losing the free trial of the hotpot violates the clause in your contract agreement that they may update your device software at anytime. But whatever floats your boat.

rom1966

May 6, 2011
Visit site
It was a legal advised promotion that gave you information on when it was starting and ending. You can avoid the update all you want but you will be billed for using the hotspot service after the promotional date ended. Do you really think they don't have any idea your SIM card tells them you are using the service lol. You act as if somehow by not taking the update, you have completely avoided the whole point of fact that it was precisely dated promotion that has expired.

Never seen a start or an end date to the promotion. My phone just said for a limited time, with no dates listed. Nor have I been contacted in any way by Verizon letting me know the promotion has ended. I don't use the service anyway but did try it out. I like it for free, wouldn't consider paying for it though. Too many connection options out there to pay for this. To think Verizon has a legal right to charge you for using it when the update hasn't taken just because you "might" be aware that they ended their promotion is a little concerning. Hopefully the masses don't feel this way...

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
So, in light of yesterdays events, I called to activate the MHS feature and to see what, if any, my using the MHS after the promotion date expired, had on my bill.....

There was NO CHARGE. Zero. Zilch. And there will be no charge to anyone until an update has taken place. The rep I spoke with was very confident of this fact, saying "how could they charge when a pop up on the phone said it was free for a limited time with no specified end date on the pop up notification?"

So this concludes my saga, and I must say, being right was worth way more than $11.

Now if my phone that does darn near everything else, could have a built mobile air conditioner because it is HOT!!

I'm certain of course the opinion the rep gave you was also after you told the rep how you were dodging the update to keep the free promo, that way they could make a well formed statement, right?

Yeah, I'm sure.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, What I miss? :D

popcorn.gif

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm certain of course the opinion the rep gave you was also after you told the rep how you were dodging the update to keep the free promo, that way they could make a well formed statement, right?

Yeah, I'm sure.[/QUOTE

That point is irrelevant everywhere but on this forum. All that matters is the update never took. I'm sure there are legitimate reasons an update wouldn't be on phones under 2 weeks from the initial release of said update. If she would have asked the right questions, she would have gotten truthful answers.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You're saying I can turn on hotspot for one day for one.dollar and use unlimited data on it for no extra charge?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
For those of us with unlimited data, unlimited MHS/MBBC can be added and removed as needed on a $1/day prorated basis. I only use it when I'm traveling and do not have access to WiFi. I do not find this to be greedy or excessive. Hotels typically charge 10-15x more for frequently slower (but more convenient) WiFi.

Thanks, Robrecht

Is there a VZW link to this info. No data charges? I have unlimited data but don't want to lose it. From the conversation you linked to I wouldn't dare try it.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Is there a VZW link to this info. No data charges? I have unlimited data but don't want to lose it. From the conversation you linked to I wouldn't dare try it.
Well, there are data charges. The charge is $30/mo for unlimited data with the MHS/MBBC :) . In order to qualify you have to have been an unlimited data user prior to July 7th, 2011.

-Frank

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

The $30 is in addition to your unlimited smart phone plan. So your total data plan would be $60 for a whole month or $1 per day in addition to your $30 unlimited data plan.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
So there really is.no 1 dollar plan. You turn it on they charge you a dollar a day but charge 15 dollars to shut it off so 1 day costs 16 dollars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ab07