What do you want in Kit Kak?(2013)

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: What do you want in Key Lime Pie?

Here's one....
Every night I lay in bed and read a magazine or browse on my Nexus 7. Once in a while I text with someone and it's so freaking annoying to hear the same alert on my phone in the other room.
I'd like a Google app to remotely control my android devices (at least being able to silence them)

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site

Two small things:
1. Make it a lot easier to add appointments to the calendar. Currently it is a huge pain in the a$$ with that stupid scrolling clock thing. Make it the same as the new alarm app from jellybean. Also make it possible to add appts from voice commands.

2. Allow users to adjust and customize the keyboard app. Especially long press duration and layout of number pad. I can't stand how long you have to hold down the top row of letters to get a number. Would love to see alternate characters underneath the letters like in swiftkey.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I've posted some of these before, either here or in other threads. Here's my current list of things I'd like to see built-in into the next version of Android.

1. A better backup/data migration service.

It's really been hit of miss for me with backups. After a factory reset, sometimes Google will try and redownload all of my previous apps. Other times it won't. There have been times where it remembered my Wi-Fi networks. Other times where I'd have to manually reconnect. I still have to manually enter all other email accounts. Forget about any saved data from apps and games that don't already have their own cloud solution. I Want to be able to manage backups in something like Google Drive. When my wife went from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5, it was relatively easy to get her old data onto her new phone via iCloud. When I went from my Motorola DROID to my Motorola DROID Bionic, it was pretty much a complete restart. With Google's cloud services, this shouldn't be the case. And I don't want to rely on a third-party application to do this.

2. Find My Android Device.

Google already knows where my devices are. I want to be able to log into a browser and see all of my devices on a map. I want to be able to lock or wipe my devices remotely. And I don't want to rely on a third-party application to do this.

3. Adding Home Screens on demand.

See the current MotoBlur launcher. You start with one home screen. Swipe to the right to add more as needed. There really is no reason why I should have a blank home screens on my DROID Bionic.

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

I agree with the first two, the third is pretty much meh no biggie, but it would be a nice feature.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

Even BlackBerry has #2 so it's surprising Google hasn't done it yet too. Especially since they have arguably the best maps service out there.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

I want a plathroa of Google of widgets like Sense and Touchwiz but add the customization that HD Widgets and BWs offer. In addition I want Google to create and custmise the theme of stock android like CM does. I want all this done in Google's simplistic style. Lastly the overall look of android needs to be more industrialize but again retain Google's refreshing look.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I have #2 its called being rooted for backups and Cerberus for location and wipes. I got lucky and caught Cerberus full for free on a celebration deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

You should not have to be rooted for full backups. I am as big a proponent of rooting as the next guy, but that should be a basic thing

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Ry, I agree with all those points! Those need to happen. Though yeah I agree that the homescreens are meh, but It would be nice not to have a empty space wasted.

One thing for me that I've been thinking about is.
1) Ability to access your notification shadow from anywhere (in a app or game, like iOS)

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

Smoother UX, zero lag and jitter, continue making other UI refinements. More Holo compliant apps. Basically I want to see them close the gap in refinement and fluidity and start putting an end to crappy, inconsistent app interface design. Anything else is secondary as far as I'm concerned. Android already has more features than the majority of users will ever tap into.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I have #2 its called being rooted for backups and Cerberus for location and wipes. I got lucky and caught Cerberus full for free on a celebration deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

And I don't want to rely on a third-party application to do this.

You should not have to be rooted for full backups. I am as big a proponent of rooting as the next guy, but that should be a basic thing

Yup.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Smoother UX, zero lag and jitter, continue making other UI refinements. More Holo compliant apps. Basically I want to see them close the gap in refinement and fluidity and start putting an end to crappy, inconsistent app interface design. Anything else is secondary as far as I'm concerned. Android already has more features than the majority of users will ever tap into.

While Jelly Bean and Project Butter did bring noticeable improvements, some of the speed and smoothness comes down to the hardware. Not all Android hardware is the same.

More Holo compliant apps? That's on the app developers, not Google. That's not really a platform feature.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

One thing for me that I've been thinking about is.
1) Ability to access your notification shadow from anywhere (in a app or game, like iOS)

This would probably be a nightmare for fullscreen games.

Also what if the game is fullscreen landscape on a portrait oriented phone? Where would the swipe occur for the notification?

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

This would probably be a nightmare for fullscreen games.

Also what if the game is fullscreen landscape on a portrait oriented phone? Where would the swipe occur for the notification?

From the top as any other landscape app? Android app can force landscape mode as same as it can force portrait mode which you more commonly see.

Also with tablet UI do similar tricks with hiding system buttons already (don't know if you can do that on phone UI). This could be as well optional so developers can prepare game with knowledge that you can swipe notification bar.... if you can do that in iOS then i guess games that come from iOS are ready for that

Last edited:

AndreaCristiano

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Key lime pie will be announced at Google I/o in may be released for nexus right after

from my Nexus7 while my Optimus rests

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe