What is the deal with these phone shortages?

Kupe

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
there would not be a shortage if everythig was not made in china. If it was made here it would not have to sit on a boat in the ocean for a month.
And it would cost 10 times more too.

And out of curiosity, to you have any knowledge of supply line management? You think Verizon waits until they sell out of a phone before they call the factory over in China and order a few more phones?

powermanaf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Verizon anticipated a certain amount of Droid X's to be sold at launch, so they shipped what they thought would be a good number to all of their stores around the country in order to meet demand. They also had to fill their distribution centers to handle all of the online orders coming in on launch day. Well, they underestimated, but so does everyone else, because you'd much rather underestimate than overestimate when it comes to mass quantities of product. Now they are backed up with thousands of orders a day, and still have to ship all of the phones from their warehouses to the distribution centers and their stores.

We can see from people posting that they are receiving emails of shipping confirmation that Verizon is filling orders as fast as they can and in no particular order (at least that's how it seems). The ship by date is exactly that, they are telling us that they will ship it by that date, so chances are you will get the phone before 08/03.

Speculating as to why the orders are not being fulfilled will not get the phone to you any faster. This isn't a manufacturing issue (see: Droid Incredible, white iPhone 4) so I highly doubt Verizon just ordered a small number of phones and then decided to start manufacturing more after launch day.

Maximaniac

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
the waiting is over for me! just got my shipping confirm email this morning and it should be at my door by 3pm tomorrow! i ordered mine around 1:30pm EST on 7/15, so it looks like anyone who ordered around then should still be subject the "shipping by 7/23" time frame and not the 7/27 or 8/3 time frames.

anon(41845)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Verizon anticipated a certain amount of Droid X's to be sold at launch, so they shipped what they thought would be a good number to all of their stores around the country in order to meet demand. They also had to fill their distribution centers to handle all of the online orders coming in on launch day. Well, they underestimated, but so does everyone else, because you'd much rather underestimate than overestimate when it comes to mass quantities of product. Now they are backed up with thousands of orders a day, and still have to ship all of the phones from their warehouses to the distribution centers and their stores.

We can see from people posting that they are receiving emails of shipping confirmation that Verizon is filling orders as fast as they can and in no particular order (at least that's how it seems). The ship by date is exactly that, they are telling us that they will ship it by that date, so chances are you will get the phone before 08/03.

Speculating as to why the orders are not being fulfilled will not get the phone to you any faster. This isn't a manufacturing issue (see: Droid Incredible, white iPhone 4) so I highly doubt Verizon just ordered a small number of phones and then decided to start manufacturing more after launch day.

I also doubt that Verizon anticipated "AntennaGate" over at Apple. That issue grew into a major sh!t storm and has caused many people (including myself) to give second thought to their phone purchase. I think demand for the Droid X went through the roof in the week leading up to the launch and then when Steve Jobs did his little song and dance it pushed many people toward the Droid X as it was the next best option outside of the Jesus Phone.

I was one of those buyers that wanted a phone that would seamlessly integrate with my iMac and MacBook Pro. And that Retina display is simply amazing. There were several big issues that were holding me back, the Antenna issue, Proximity sensor, AT&T coverage, the fact that if I left Verizon I would lose my unlimited data plan, the fragile nature of the iPhone (with the glass back), lack of a 3g Hotspot, less memory and finally the screen size. I have put up with my Storm1 for 20 months and really wanted a larger screen to go with the latest processor speed that is on all these leading phones. High resolution in a small screen ultimately wasn't enough.

I am sure there were others like me that wanted the iPhone4 to be the ultimate phone on the planet, but all the issues above outweighed the Retina Display and Facetime functionality that the iPhone offered. Now...I am waiting like everyone else to get this slick phone. The Droid X offers some key features that most want: 3G hotspot, 4.3" screen, 40gb of memory and unlimited data plan. Finally - I just hated to see Steve Jobs stand up there last week and try to make it out that his problem was no different than the rest of the industry. Total BS...and that was the final issue that pushed me away from the iPhone...despite being a Mac user.

On a nostalgic note - being that Motorolla is one of the pioneers of the wireless industry and Texas Instruments the pioneer of the microchip...it is cool to see them come together on such an incredible phone. Two brands that I would love to see get back in the game as a leader of the mobile communications industry.

powermanaf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree with you 2005CTS. I watched the iPhone 4 coverage hoping that it was going to get me to leap to AT&T and the iPhone because I wanted to integrate my cell phone with my Mac seamlessly. My hopes for it to be the ultimate smartphone were quickly crushed and I immediately turned to the Droid X. What gets me though is that in a years time, or most likely by the end of this year, both of these phones will be surpassed in technology.

mhutsell3

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I am a little more than ticked off. I ordered my phone on Thursday morning and was told that I would have my phone by Monday the 19th. They called me on Saturday and told me that due to a system error that my order did not go through, (ok at least they found their problem and called me) but wait theres more. The CSR that called me on Saturday morning told me that the error was their fault and that my phone would still ship to me and I would have it no later than the 23rd. I thought cool I can wait a couple of days. :rolleyes: Oh no, they lied again and now today I was told that due to the order being placed as a new order that it won't ship until the 27th and there was a good possibility that I might not see the phone until the 17th of August? :mad:

I called customer service today and explained my displeasure in this news to both the CSR, her Supervisor and that Supervisor's manager ans exclaimed that I wanted to be compensated. I was told the best they could do is give me three months of add on minutes to my share plan. WTF, I dont use the minutes that I have now, its not like they are going to just roll them over until I use them up, this isn't AT&T. :rolleyes:

I am at a loss of words at this point as to what to do, I took it all the way to the supervisors manager? Is there someone else I can ask for to get some satisfaction here?

Sorry just felt that I needed to vent a bit. :(

itguy09

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Finally - I just hated to see Steve Jobs stand up there last week and try to make it out that his problem was no different than the rest of the industry. Total BS...and that was the final issue that pushed me away from the iPhone...despite being a Mac user.

I'm a huge Mac guy as well and agree with all of your other points. That's why I'm trial'ing the Droid X to replace my iPhone 3G.

However, Steve had it right. All phones will attenuate if you cover the antennas. Even the old analogues of old. Every phone I've owned will do this if you cover the antenna. It's just that in a marginal signal area there was little headroom for this to happen. And I can personally vouch that the iPhone's bars were inaccurate. With every incarnation of my 3G my house was in a 4-5 bar area. When I applied 4.01 it immediately went to a 1-2 bar area. Some areas give me more but not for long. So those 4-5 bars were nothing more than an overstatement of the true bars.

IMHO the signal thing is another example of the Internet blowing something way out of proportion for nothing other than clicks and headlines.

And Verizon gives me the same signal in my house so it's a wash on the signal front. AT&T and Verizon both provide solid coverage here in Central PA.

So far I'm liking the DX - it's learning a new way around things. Definitely not as slick or as polished as the iPhone but it's definitely got a lot more features.

itguy09

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm a huge Mac guy as well and agree with all of your other points. That's why I'm trial'ing the Droid X to replace my iPhone 3G.

However, Steve had it right. All phones will attenuate if you cover the antennas. Even the old analogues of old. Every phone I've owned will do this if you cover the antenna. It's just that in a marginal signal area there was little headroom for this to happen. And I can personally vouch that the iPhone's bars were inaccurate. With every incarnation of my 3G my house was in a 4-5 bar area. When I applied 4.01 it immediately went to a 1-2 bar area. Some areas give me more but not for long. So those 4-5 bars were nothing more than an overstatement of the true bars.

IMHO the signal thing is another example of the Internet blowing something way out of proportion for nothing other than clicks and headlines.

And Verizon gives me the same signal in my house so it's a wash on the signal front. AT&T and Verizon both provide solid coverage here in Central PA.

So far I'm liking the DX - it's learning a new way around things. Definitely not as slick or as polished as the iPhone but it's definitely got a lot more features.

No AT&T and Apple decided lie to people and think they were getting better connection rates (and I here they do but that's besides the point) By making the 5th bar so high, that when you got to 2 bars on the 3gs while the 4 would still be hanging high at 5. That's why they removed the ability to bring up the signal diagnostic program (completely deleted it).

Its only Karma that the 4 had the biggest attunement issue of any modern phone. If I was a user and regularly saw my phone go from 5 bars to 1 or 4 to 0 bars and lose a call every time I think I would get bothered by it. Luckily outside peoples houses most cities have halfway decent coverage so it would always look like a 5 bar connection.

If they didn't lie the first time and play it off like there was nothing to be worried about and that the phone was completely blemish free, nothing would have happened of value. Hand over the phone woould cause it to go from 5 to 3 or 3 to 1 and people would just complain about their crappy AT&T service.

SouthernSaltine

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Its funny, i remember seeing something that Verizon had put out a few days before launch saying they would have plenty and NO SHORTAGES.. I believe that was on there site, but of-course its not there now!

anon(41845)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Its funny, i remember seeing something that Verizon had put out a few days before launch saying they would have plenty and NO SHORTAGES.. I believe that was on there site, but of-course its not there now!

I'm sure they made that statement based on previous smart phone sales. But they didn't plan on the iPhone4 problems that would cause some Apple fans to stop and think for a moment about their phone purchase.

Up until now - the highest demand smart phone VZW has released was the original Droid. It is nice to see them have a highly sought after device for a change. I just wish I could get one!

mhutsell3

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Update, I ordered on the 15th, order was rejected they called me Saturday the 17th and replaced the order. I pissed and moaned to the CSR's and emailed some CSR's finally got a 60.31 credit on my bill. I also got notification today that my phone shipped and will be here at least by Monday July 26th. Thank goodness. :confused:

jas o

May 10, 2010
Visit site
At 9:00am on the 15th my store sold out of 30 units on 30 minutes. The customer service rep stated I have can one overnight and you will have it tomorrow. I said that's what you told me for the incredible an I waited three weeks for it. Oh No you will have it tomorrow. I asked are you sure this won't turn into another incredible? he said not a chance they have plenty.

Here we are. My 4th device in a row (Storm 1, Storm II, Dinc and now DX) that I am aimlessly waiting for to ship. How does the person who is in charge or stock still have a job? VZW has to be losing customers over this.

anon(41845)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
At 9:00am on the 15th my store sold out of 30 units on 30 minutes. The customer service rep stated I have can one overnight and you will have it tomorrow. I said that's what you told me for the incredible an I waited three weeks for it. Oh No you will have it tomorrow. I asked are you sure this won't turn into another incredible? he said not a chance they have plenty.

Here we are. My 4th device in a row (Storm 1, Storm II, Dinc and now DX) that I am aimlessly waiting for to ship. How does the person who is in charge or stock still have a job? VZW has to be losing customers over this.

I seriously doubt they are. Believe me...VZW thought they had this under control...but never anticipated there would be such problems with the iPhone4 - which has created unexpected demand for Droid devices. This is a good problem. And it isn't like they can run over to the AT&T store and get an iP4...they are back ordered as well.

The Droid Inc is delayed for two reasons - demand and manufacturing issues related to the screen. The DX is just consumer demand. They are not having issues with screens like on the DINC.

jas o

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I seriously doubt they are. Believe me...VZW thought they had this under control...but never anticipated there would be such problems with the iPhone4 - which has created unexpected demand for Droid devices. This is a good problem. And it isn't like they can run over to the AT&T store and get an iP4...they are back ordered as well.

The Droid Inc is delayed for two reasons - demand and manufacturing issues related to the screen. The DX is just consumer demand. They are not having issues with screens like on the DINC.

I agree too much demand is a great problem to have up to a point. When does it become a negative though. I guess that is just a fine line.

I understand the DInc is a differnt issue and beyond thier control. The perfect storm of circumstances lead to this. The real test will be when the next phone comes out if they have the same problem again. Then things need to be addressed.

anon(41845)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I agree too much demand is a great problem to have up to a point. When does it become a negative though. I guess that is just a fine line.

I understand the DInc is a differnt issue and beyond thier control. The perfect storm of circumstances lead to this. The real test will be when the next phone comes out if they have the same problem again. Then things need to be addressed.

Agreed. They need to address it - but having a line when introduced isn't a bad thing. Like seeing a popular restaurant with the parking lot always full. Makes you feel like you have good tastes. It is nice to know that the DX is being wo well received.

On the other hand...back on November 21, 2008 when I went early to get in line for a Storm1 and...there was no line I wondered where the demand was for this phone. Now I know why. While the Storm1 had a lot of functions that the iPhone didn't have...it struggled in speed, the horrible click screen and of course the OS was clunky. You could go into any VZW store and get a Storm1 just about...because there just wasn't the demand. I'm sure VZW is thrilled with this problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174