What to do... On Vacation in Mexico with ATT Note 7!

Wbrian

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
So, we received a text saying to turn off the phone and that we can't take it on any flights. We're in Mexico (came here after exchanging for the new non-exploding Note 7). Called ATT and was told they can't ship a phone out of the USA. Think Samsung will? Wife is a Realtor, and NEEDS her phone and it's several thousand contacts and text messages! This is a PITA!
Any idea who to call at Samsung?

Thanks!
Brian

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Same 'boat' here, but worse: I'm in China. Still trying to figure out how it's going to work, but at least AT&T has stores in Mexico and their models are totally compatible with the US networks.

Also, check with your airline. Some were talking about having special fire-proof pouches to transport these for the time being. Others, like AA, were being kinda stupid and just offering to keep the phone at the departure airport and giving it back when you return...which isn't really useful.

For the contacts, if not doing it already, back up to Google. That way you have access to them no matter what, and if needed, you can even do so without a phone (web portal). For backing up the texts, unless you're going to replace it with another Samsung, you'll need a 3rd party app (but if you're still going with a Samsung, then you can use Smart Switch).

D_Gabe

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Don't even dare to mention you own a Note7. I don't think It'll explode, but they probably won't let you travel back with it if you tell them it is a Note7. That would be an awful mistake. Just turn it off the day you're gonna return to the US.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Problem won't be at the Mexico airport, it will be going home. Can't remember if you go through the X-Ray scanner after immigration or not, but if they've trained their personnel right, THAT will get it spotted and then you'll be in trouble.

But granted, the problem will be exacerbated when flying out of an US airport.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Per news reports this morning - beginning today - if you are caught with the device on the plane, you could face criminal prosecution and up to $180k fine...

If you have it with you when you attempt to go thru security - you'll either need to leave it at the gate or you won't be allowed to board your flight

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
It is not worth possible jail/fine or causing a plane to crash to bring phone back to the USA. See if your carrier will work with you. There is a report here of a carrier telling the person to leave the phone there and they would just get credited as if they returned it.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
So, we received a text saying to turn off the phone and that we can't take it on any flights. We're in Mexico (came here after exchanging for the new non-exploding Note 7). Called ATT and was told they can't ship a phone out of the USA. Think Samsung will? Wife is a Realtor, and NEEDS her phone and it's several thousand contacts and text messages! This is a PITA!
Any idea who to call at Samsung?

Thanks!
Brian

Find a wireless store for your provider if they have one down there and swap it. You been in Mexico for over a week? Pack it up in a box, and ship it home. Its the only way you can get it back without anyone knowing.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Mail/UPS/FedEx it back to your home address a day or two before leaving.
It is classified as a hazardous material. You would need to state as such before sending it back to the shipper . there could be additional charges

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Call the Samsung recall number explain the situation and thoroughly document it. They should be able to advise you.if not advise them that you would file a small claim against them in court. As long as you does your due diligence them you should get your money back in court. And it probably won't get to that as Samsung would most likely pay before the lawsuit which they would surely lose

Wbrian

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
We've been in touch with Samsung. Might take 5-7 business days for a resolution. But we head home in 4 days, so no help there. Thinking about buying a new phone at Telcel here, transferring everything myself then shipping the phone back or having ATT credit us for destroying it and leaving it here...

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I was looking at prices for booking a flight in March with AA and saw this:

Attachments

• 3030.jpg
    3030.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 151

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
We've been in touch with Samsung. Might take 5-7 business days for a resolution. But we head home in 4 days, so no help there. Thinking about buying a new phone at Telcel here, transferring everything myself then shipping the phone back or having ATT credit us for destroying it and leaving it here...

That'll work... but why do that when ATT has stores and service in Mexico now? Sure, they might not be the same company, but at least you can work with them to get the exchange at a Mexico store.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Don't even dare to mention you own a Note7. I don't think It'll explode, but they probably won't let you travel back with it if you tell them it is a Note7. That would be an awful mistake. Just turn it off the day you're gonna return to the US.

Did you read the ban part what happens if they discover you brought one on the plane? The classification part is key. Overkill? Our opinions do not matter now.

dafuse

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
cross posting as an FYI:

I am in the middle of a two week business trip to Europe. I was here when the FAA ban was announced.

I just got off the phone with AT&T. I will leave the phone in Europe, and go to the local AT&T store where I bought the GN7 , with the box and receipt, and my boarding passes for my return flight. AT&T will the refund the unit. This is what AT&T told me to do, and they placed a note on my account so that the local store knows what to do.

I had a conversation with Samsung too, and they told me the same thing.

Hope this helps anyone else in this situation.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Confirmed. Got a call from Samsung and T-Mobile this morning saying the same thing: Leave your Note behind, we're still refunding it. They didn't ask me for a receipt or box, though. Not even my tickets. I'm keeping them just in case, obviously, but they're refunding the device right away. Still doesn't help with what to do without a phone if you're not coming home right after leaving it behind, but at least it's good to know that I don't have to worry about making 10 calls every week to see my money back or getting a new phone when I'm in the US.