When browsing on Galaxy S8 I get redirected to junk web sites

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

When browsing on certain web sites I get redirected to garbage prize websites i.e. "Congratulations Samsung SM-G95OU user! you are one of 10 users to be chosen..." etc. I go to the page I want to go to and everything's fine for a few minutes but then you get redirected for no apparent reason. It completely takes over the page and you have to close the tab and then navigate back.

The weird part is that:
1. It started as soon as I got the phone. I hadn't even downloaded an app onto it yet I don't think. I will note that it was a refurbished phone I got from Sprint. But it should have been completely reinstalled to factory settings, it was direct from Sprint not a third party vendor. I'll note that I've tried safe mode and it still happens.

2. It only happens on certain web sites. But these are not sketchy or weird websites, which I generally try to avoid going to especially on my phone. For instance it occurs on RealClearPolitics.com. It seems to occur on second tier newspaper websites a lot, like if I click a link to, say, the Salt Lake Tribune or Indianapolis Star. (Note: I can't remember if those two paper's websites are in particular to blame but it is that kind of site: Serious websites of smaller papers.) It also occurs on the music news site Blabbermouth.net. I go to all these websites on desktops and apple products and never had an issue.

I downloaded AVG Antivirus and it found nothing.

It's more of a minor annoyance than major issue but I'm just concerned that it indicates some kind of virus which might compromise my data.

I looked around but couldn't find anything like this in the community posts (apologies if I missed it). Any ideas?

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's actually not that unusual for websites like that. I've seen that kind of annoying behavior on various "clickbait" sites similar to Buzzfeed. You can either avoid those sites on your mobile browser, or try an ad-blocking browser like Brave.