When will the Verizon Droid Maxx get the 5.0 Lollipop update?

A

AC Question

When will the Verizon Droid Maxx get the 5.0 lollipop update

I have had the 4.4 kikkat for over a year. I was told by Motorola I would be getting the newest software?

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: When will the Verizon Droid Maxx get the 5.0 lollipop update

I thought they recently released an upgrade list and that droid Maxx wasn't on it.

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I thought they recently released an upgrade list and that droid Maxx wasn't on it.

That was for Marshmallow, and it's not surprising that the Droid Maxx will not be upgraded to that. However, the phone is still on the list for Lollipop 5.1. Motorola and Verizon never provide dates until they actually release it, so it will come when it comes.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Everything I've read said (suggests? claims?) Maxx will get Marshmallow.
Marshmallow and S’more - The Official Motorola Blog.

Are you sure that you are not confusing the Moto Maxx with the Droid Maxx? I think the Moto Maxx is basically the international version of the Turbo.

At the risk of getting off topic, I just gave my Turbo to a friend and went back to the (Droid) Maxx. I gotta say the Turbo is a better phone, but not by a lot. Going back to KK hasn't been that big of a deal either.

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Let's see... We have the old Razr Maxx. We have the Droid Maxx. We have the Moto Maxx a.k.a. Droid Turbo. Thanks, marketing folks (not!). Are they actually trying to introduce confusion?

Nec3f

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure that you are not confusing the Moto Maxx with the Droid Maxx? I think the Moto Maxx is basically the international version of the Turbo.

Yes, I see that I was. Looking at my phone, I have a Droid Maxx and that schedule says Moto Maxx.
I remember when I got my first phone, the Motorola Droid. That was near the beginning of the smartphone thing and people were just starting to hear the word Android tossed around. I spent two years explaining the difference between Android and "(Motorola) Droid"...to the point that sometimes I even confused myself. "Wait, no I have that backwards, Android is the OS, Droid is my phone".

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

When HELL freezes over...

Posted via the Android Central App

djdougd

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

It would be nice to get Lollipop... Don't want to hold my breath... Might turn blue first!

BenStrauss

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Note that the use of the Droid name isn't specific to Motorola, but rather Verizon, who actually licensed it from Lucasfilm, just to cover themselves.
It has also been used on Verizon-issued Samsung and HTC phones.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Note that the use of the Droid name isn't specific to Motorola, but rather Verizon, who actually licensed it from Lucasfilm, just to cover themselves.
It has also been used on Verizon-issued Samsung and HTC phones.
Yes, that's right, but in 2013 Verizon and Motorola signed an agreement for Motorola to be the exclusive supplier of Droid brand phones going forward. I'm not sure how long the contract lasts, but Motorola is the exclusive supplier and develops all of the updates. It's up to Verizon to approve and schedule when those updates will occur.

Keith Garwick

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
here is the list of devices slated for update, according to Nec3f's hyperlink to Motorola's Official Blog. As you can see, the Verizon Droid Maxx is NOT expected to receive an update to Marshmallow (maybe not even to Lollipop - I suspect):

2015 Moto X Pure Edition (3rd gen)
2015 Moto X Style (3rd gen)
2015 Moto X Play
2015 Moto G (3rd gen)
2014 Moto X Pure Edition in the US (2nd gen)
2014 Moto X in Latin America, Canada, Europe and Asia2 (2nd gen)
2014 Moto G and Moto G with 4G LTE2 (2nd gen)
DROID Turbo
2014 Moto MAXX
2014 Moto Turbo
Nexus 6
Moto X Force
DROID Turbo 2
DROID Maxx 2
2015 Moto E with 4G LTE in Latin America, Canada, Europe and Asia2 (2nd Gen)
2015 Moto G Turbo Edition (3rd Gen)

The Moto Maxx and the Droid Maxx 2 are not the same device as the Droid Maxx "obake"

I have tried a number of Lollipop roms on my Droid Maxx, but I keep reverting to Moto's 4.4.4 design (as it outperforms everything else that I have tried).

I run Marshmallow on my Nexus 7 FLO and I am not impressed. I personally don't give a rat-rump about the OS version, performance says it all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky