Which is fastest/stable ginger-sense ROM?

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I went back and did a complete wipe and install of Nil's 3.5. I did the stock rom install, reboot and flash 3.5 route. Very smooth. Having two small issues at the moment. The first is my lockscreen. I use a pattern to unlock and I'm getting some strange characters on my screen:
shot_000001.png

The next may be related to 3G dropping, except my 3G works great, and my wireless is dropping. Every once in a while I'll get an wireless error symbol in the status bar and the 3G icon appears. It says there was an error connecting to the wireless network. It lasts about a second and then the wireless icon appears and all is well. There is no set time that this happens. I have tried two different radios and still doing it.

I managed to get a shot of the wireless dropping out:
shot_000004.png

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I hear you man. I guess I figured the only thing that would get you and the Stig off CM7 would be CM 9 lol!

Nils 3.5 is in my opinion the best Sense ROM out there.

Well, if 259 ever gets posted it looks like it's got a lot of changes. Plus, in 6 days I can upgrade not only at a reduced price, but my loyalty discount will kick in, so I can probably get a Tbolt for $49. I've had really great experiences with HTC phones, so it looks like I'm staying with HTC. The only two options are Tbolt and Rezound. Even with loyalty discount, I'm still looking at $149 for Rezound, $49 for Tbolt. Plus, I already have what I need to root the Tbolt and I hear the Skyraider Zeus is the rom for Tbolt. My only requirements for my next phone are 4" screen, front facing camera and 4G.

I dunno.....will have to wait and see what happens. The wife has expressed interest in the Incredible, but she's a loyal Crackberry user. And since it's in immaculate condition, I may put it back in it's box and seal it.

vida

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Nils 3.0 for a few months but the battery life is terrible. I am a very light user, a little email, read the news and often don't make a single call in a day, that's it and yet the battery is dead after 10 hours. I've followed the tips for battery life. Is Nils 3.5 any better or could something else be eating it up? How can what's killing my battery?:'(

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Nils 3.0 for a few months but the battery life is terrible. I am a very light user, a little email, read the news and often don't make a single call in a day, that's it and yet the battery is dead after 10 hours. I've followed the tips for battery life. Is Nils 3.5 any better or could something else be eating it up? How can what's killing my battery?:'(

Bad battery life and Sense go together like peanut butter and jelly. Seems to be especially so when your talking about Sense 3.0 and 3.5. Since they were never meant to run on this phone they can only be optimized so much.

I've spent the majority of my time with Nils' 3.5 ROM and I really do love it. It's very functional and very smooth. I have a few hiccups here and there but who doesn't.

If battery life is your main concern I'd recommend trying CM7.

Now, to your question, I was getting a full day out of Nils' 3.5 and I would consider myself a moderate user. That's off the charger around 6-7am and down into the 20-teens range by the time I plugged in before bed around 10ish. There are things you can do to try and help like Tiny's kernel and other things.

It's also going to depend on how you run your phone, how its set up to sync and what you're sync'ing...are you using WiFi or are you stuck with 3G all day...things like that. Give us some more info on your situation and we could probably give better advice knowing what the deal-e-o is.

Reactions: vida

vida

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help! I am auto syncing FB for HTC Sense (once a day); Google contacts, Gmail and Calendar (it doesn't say how often); and Weather (every 3 hours). I only use WiFi and have 3G turned off. I'm off the charger at 8am and by 6pm I'm in the teens without making even one call the entire day. I usually read 5 emails and look at the news (15 pages), check the calendar and that's it. I've also noticed that the battery life is worse now than it was when I first flashed 3.0. It also has a lot of lag and I find myself waiting. I'm out of university now so need to get it fixed before I hit the books again. I sure would appreciate your input and suggestions. I just want a solid, quick ROM because once I'm back in class I don't have time for anything. I've never tried CM7 but am willing if I can't fix this problem. Thanks!

vida

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help! I am auto syncing FB for HTC Sense (once a day); Google contacts, Gmail and Calendar (it doesn't say how often); and Weather (every 3 hours). I only use WiFi and have 3G turned off. I'm off the charger at 8am and by 6pm I'm in the teens without making even one call the entire day. I usually read 5 emails and look at the news (15 pages), check the calendar and that's it. I've also noticed that the battery life is worse now than it was when I first flashed 3.0. It also has a lot of lag and I find myself waiting. I'm out of university now so need to get it fixed before I hit the books again. I sure would appreciate your input and suggestions. I just want a solid, quick ROM because once I'm back in class I don't have time for anything. I've never tried CM7 but am willing if I can't fix this problem. Thanks!

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site

It sounds to me like you should be getting alot more life out of your phone. Quick question, whats your WiFi sleep policy. By default I think it's set to "screen off" which means when the screen goes off and you think you're still on WIFI, your phone is actually switching back to 3G. Being on 3G and the screen are the two biggest drains on battery.

Try this, Menu>settings>wireless>wifi settings>Menu (the actual menu button at bottom of phone)>advanced>wifi sleep policy. Set it to "Never"

If you get the time and energy, I'd really try Nils' 3.5. I found it to be less laggy than 3.0. The 3.5 v2.2 for me is pretty snappy for a ROM of its size...it's not without some lag here and there but overall I'd say its a smooth ride.

If you haven't ever used an AOSP or a Sense-less ROM CM7 might be a bit farther off the beaten path than you may want to go. It's a fantastic ROM but if you are a big fan of Sense it can be a big transition. To me, most of the appeal of the Sense UI is the clean design of the widgets, the launcher, everything. It just seems really well designed from an aesthetic view. AOSP can seem a bit rough around the edges, visually. From a customization standpoint you can't beat CM7. You could spend days tinkering with all the customizations that are built in. Battery life on CM7 is substantially better due to the Sense UI being a bit of a CPU intensive ROM.

Another option would be to go on Amazon or somewhere like that and buy a Sedio replacement battery. The original battery is rated at 1350mh or something like that, Sedio makes a battery that fits the existing battery door (no new bulky case to buy) that is rated at 1750mh. Doesn't sound like much but its the difference between dead battery at 7pm vs. dead at 9 or 10.

vida

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
It sounds to me like you should be getting alot more life out of your phone. Quick question, whats your WiFi sleep policy. By default I think it's set to "screen off" which means when the screen goes off and you think you're still on WIFI, your phone is actually switching back to 3G. Being on 3G and the screen are the two biggest drains on battery.

Try this, Menu>settings>wireless>wifi settings>Menu (the actual menu button at bottom of phone)>advanced>wifi sleep policy. Set it to "Never"

If you get the time and energy, I'd really try Nils' 3.5. I found it to be less laggy than 3.0. The 3.5 v2.2 for me is pretty snappy for a ROM of its size...it's not without some lag here and there but overall I'd say its a smooth ride.

If you haven't ever used an AOSP or a Sense-less ROM CM7 might be a bit farther off the beaten path than you may want to go. It's a fantastic ROM but if you are a big fan of Sense it can be a big transition. To me, most of the appeal of the Sense UI is the clean design of the widgets, the launcher, everything. It just seems really well designed from an aesthetic view. AOSP can seem a bit rough around the edges, visually. From a customization standpoint you can't beat CM7. You could spend days tinkering with all the customizations that are built in. Battery life on CM7 is substantially better due to the Sense UI being a bit of a CPU intensive ROM.

Another option would be to go on Amazon or somewhere like that and buy a Sedio replacement battery. The original battery is rated at 1350mh or something like that, Sedio makes a battery that fits the existing battery door (no new bulky case to buy) that is rated at 1750mh. Doesn't sound like much but its the difference between dead battery at 7pm vs. dead at 9 or 10.

You're very knowledgeable, thank you! I checked and it is set to "Never" and I have 3G turned off too because I don't have a data plan and always use wifi. Best wifi performance was checked so maybe that was part of my battery problem. I do want to try 3.5. Question: To be on the safe side should I flash the Stock GB ROM first before Nils? It says not to use "Rom Manager" so I would use "Clockwork Recovery" and Reboot into Recovery, right? I've only flashed twice so I'm a nooby. Thanks again!

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
You're very knowledgeable, thank you! I checked and it is set to "Never" and I have 3G turned off too because I don't have a data plan and always use wifi. Best wifi performance was checked so maybe that was part of my battery problem. I do want to try 3.5. Question: To be on the safe side should I flash the Stock GB ROM first before Nils? It says not to use "Rom Manager" so I would use "Clockwork Recovery" and Reboot into Recovery, right? I've only flashed twice so I'm a nooby. Thanks again!

You are correct. I never flash a ROM with ROM manager, there are pages of complaints from people who have issues using to flash. I always use Clockwork. Reboot to recovery and do it that way, you'll be glad you did.

If you follow Nils' instructions you should have no problems. It might take a bit of time but it will be worth it.

When you wipe all the data, do the standard 3 wipes you would do for any ROM but also wipe "system" and "boot" which are under "Mounts and Storage as well.

Another thought on the battery life is perhaps you've either got a bad battery, or it needs to be calibrated...when did you flash over to Nils' 3.0? Flashing ROM's always throws my battery meter in a tizzy and I find it usually takes a few cycles for the battery meter to start getting accurate..well as accurate as it gets anyway.

You may want to try do a couple of bump charges and then wipe your battery stats and start fresh. Battery stats are also in Clockwork Recovery under "advanced". Make sure your battery is topped off at 100% before you do it, after you've wiped the batt stats, I'd use it till it was darn near dead before I plugged back in to get a better calibration.

vida

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
You are correct. I never flash a ROM with ROM manager, there are pages of complaints from people who have issues using to flash. I always use Clockwork. Reboot to recovery and do it that way, you'll be glad you did.

If you follow Nils' instructions you should have no problems. It might take a bit of time but it will be worth it.

When you wipe all the data, do the standard 3 wipes you would do for any ROM but also wipe "system" and "boot" which are under "Mounts and Storage as well.

Another thought on the battery life is perhaps you've either got a bad battery, or it needs to be calibrated...when did you flash over to Nils' 3.0? Flashing ROM's always throws my battery meter in a tizzy and I find it usually takes a few cycles for the battery meter to start getting accurate..well as accurate as it gets anyway.

You may want to try do a couple of bump charges and then wipe your battery stats and start fresh. Battery stats are also in Clockwork Recovery under "advanced". Make sure your battery is topped off at 100% before you do it, after you've wiped the batt stats, I'd use it till it was darn near dead before I plugged back in to get a better calibration.

Great, I'll try it. It's been a couple of months since I flashed Nil's 3.0. What is a bump charge? Advanced in Clockwork Recovery comes with the Premium version which I don't have. Is it worth buying? Thanks! :D

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Clockwork recovery premium? Do this, power off, power back on while holding down the volume down button. This should take you to a white screen with little droids at the bottom. When its done loading use volume button to scroll to "recovery" and select it with the power button. From there it should boot into Clockwork Recovery...black screen with orange type. Its not an app it's part of the system you installed when you rooted the phone

vida

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Clockwork recovery premium? Do this, power off, power back on while holding down the volume down button. This should take you to a white screen with little droids at the bottom. When its done loading use volume button to scroll to "recovery" and select it with the power button. From there it should boot into Clockwork Recovery...black screen with orange type. Its not an app it's part of the system you installed when you rooted the phone

Gotcha. I was getting there through ROM manager clicking on the link to reboot in recovery so I thought it was part of ROM manager. I tried powering off and powering on while holding down volume button 3 times but it didn't work. Anyway I did get there and found battery stats.:D

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Gotcha. I was getting there through ROM manager clicking on the link to reboot in recovery so I thought it was part of ROM manager. I tried powering off and powering on while holding down volume button 3 times but it didn't work. Anyway I did get there and found battery stats.:D

DUH!! *smacks self in head* easiest way to get to recovery is to just push the power button like your going to shut down, then choose "restart" from the power menu then choose "recovery" from the restart menu. Totally overlooked the method I use every single frabbing day!

vida

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

I flashed 3.5 and love it. My battery problem is gone! Now I can go from 7am to 9pm and still have 60%. However I'm getting quite a few FCs. First I flashed the stock GB Rom like Nil says and then 3.5 but I couldn't find the option to skip/uncheck the restore option for the market so it restored all my apps. I want to do it again but where is that option so I can uncheck it? Thanks!

vida

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
DUH!! *smacks self in head* easiest way to get to recovery is to just push the power button like your going to shut down, then choose "restart" from the power menu then choose "recovery" from the restart menu. Totally overlooked the method I use every single frabbing day!

It was Friday, perfectly understandable.:D

Nils

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I flashed 3.5 and love it. My battery problem is gone! Now I can go from 7am to 9pm and still have 60%. However I'm getting quite a few FCs. First I flashed the stock GB Rom like Nil says and then 3.5 but I couldn't find the option to skip/uncheck the restore option for the market so it restored all my apps. I want to do it again but where is that option so I can uncheck it? Thanks!

When you install skip all options then go into Settings > Privacy and turn off the 2 options. When you then start GMail or the market make sure it is checked off there. May not even prompts you there after turning it off in privacy. You can also check in Settings > Sync when you activate anything google.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali