Which wired high impedance over ear headphones are decent without breaking the bank?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

traviswhayne

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it lacks a Mic for taking calls but the sound is superb. I honestly very rarely make calls on my phone (funny how that works ;)) so I don't notice it as much but if you do it might not be the best headphones for you. And yes they do trigger the High Impedance mode on my V20. Sony just needs to update these with a user replaceable cord that could have mic capabilities.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
There are lots of high impedance products out there few check most of the boxes that on my list
What is the benefit of high impedance vs low impedance for the V20? I know the ESS Sabre 9218 can drive high impedance cans so you can listen to some Senn HD 600/650s, AKG K/Q7xx, or higher impedance Beyer Dynamics that you couldn't fully enjoy with lesser DAC equipped phones but I thought the DACs audio prowess was otherwise equally great between low and high impedance output.

Can anyone de-confuse a wanna-be nerd-ette on this?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
What is the benefit of high impedance vs low impedance for the V20? I know the ESS Sabre 9218 can drive high impedance cans so you can listen to some Senn HD 600/650s, AKG K/Q7xx, or higher impedance Beyer Dynamics that you couldn't fully enjoy with lesser DAC equipped phones but I thought the DACs audio prowess was otherwise equally great between low and high impedance output.

Can anyone de-confuse a wanna-be nerd-ette on this?

Read this for some less technical explanations
https://www.cnet.com/news/headphone...d-to-know-about-low-vs-high-impedance-models/

Obviously for common phones or players you want to stick with low impedance. Having the capability of THE V20 DAC allows you to balance up the output of the DAC to the impedence of the headphones so you always have a match. Ultimately though if you can get a high impedence version of the same headphone you will or should get better performance as long you can drive it with the right equipment.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Read this for some less technical explanations
https://www.cnet.com/news/headphone...d-to-know-about-low-vs-high-impedance-models/

Obviously for common phones or players you want to stick with low impedance. Having the capability of THE V20 DAC allows you to balance up the output of the DAC to the impedence of the headphones so you always have a match. Ultimately though if you can get a high impedence version of the same headphone you will or should get better performance as long you can drive it with the right equipment.
Mike, you, kind sir are a saint. Thanks for the link and explanation. I am one step closer to nerd-ism and that's good.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I found Beyer dynamic Custom studio 80 Ohm but I have to buy mic cable for 25 dollars. I wonder if I can use a common cable from another set of headphones

talon1189

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Good suggestion but not what I'm looking for. I like to be able to answer calls and this has a fixed cable

I bought the same Sony head phones last week. I absolutely love them. I now hear sounds and voices in songs that l never knew existed. The head phones really bring the DAC alive more than lower impedece ear pieces. I also knew ahead of time that the cable was fixed and that they also do not have a microphone. Those 2 things were unimportant to me....LOL 😀 The price and reviews were more important to me.

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I bought the same Sony head phones last week. I absolutely love them. I now hear sounds and voices in songs that l never knew existed. The head phones really bring the DAC alive more than lower impedece ear pieces. I also knew ahead of time that the cable was fixed and that they also do not have a microphone. Those 2 things were unimportant to me....LOL 😀 The price and reviews were more important to me.

One other thing is that low impedance headphones run through the Qualcomm Snapdragon's DAC vs. the ESS Sabre DAC.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
One other thing is that low impedance headphones run through the Qualcomm Snapdragon's DAC vs. the ESS Sabre DAC.

I don't believe that to be true. The snapdragon's DAC is only active with the Hi-Fi selector in the off position as far as what I have read. The differences that you hear with normal, external and high impedance is the gain setting of the amp.