Who is To Blame for giant phones?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Blame me, uh, I mean consumers. :) I want the biggest screen I can get while still being able to hold it in one hand and put it in my pants pocket.

If you want a high end phone, we're not really talking about a phone, but a handheld computer. When you have a good sized screen, you can actually DO easily and well all those things it promises to do, like edit documents, read ebooks, surf the web, respond to your emails easily, watch videos, play games.

When Apple came out with all of its "look what you can do with the iPhone.." advertising when they released the first edition, the problem was very simple: in theory you could do it all, but who'd want to on that tiny, little screen? People like Samsung went on a different path and screen size has been an important part of that success. It means to me that the "phones" finally fulfill their inherent promise.

Anecdotes aside, professional marketing surveys in the industry prove the truth of this--I cited one recently, can't find it. They are generally concluding that consumers who want high end phones want phones with bigger screens. That seems to make sense as the two do tend to correlate. If you want high end, most will want something that makes high end features easy to use.

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
A person mentioned hardware, and I think the fact that multitasking, and multiple screens are becoming a norm on the smart phones are some good reasons calling for larger screen. Somebody else mentione the hand held computer, also a good reason. More and more people using their smart phones as their only means to go online. Supposedly a large population of Chinese are doing just that. Another reason that nobody else mentioned was that some people simply don't have good eye sights. It's difficult for those people to look at the smaller screen. When I had a 4" device, I can't remember how many time my parents and friends asked me "how can you see on that tiny screen?". And I think that's one of the reason that I have a big screen device now, so they can stop asking me that question. Also, isn't the new iphone that's probably coming out in a few month, going to have a bigger screen than 5"?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Blame me, uh, I mean consumers. :) I want the biggest screen I can get while still being able to hold it in one hand and put it in my pants pocket.

If you want a high end phone, we're not really talking about a phone, but a handheld computer. When you have a good sized screen, you can actually DO easily and well all those things it promises to do, like edit documents, read ebooks, surf the web, respond to your emails easily, watch videos, play games.

When Apple came out with all of its "look what you can do with the iPhone.." advertising when they released the first edition, the problem was very simple: in theory you could do it all, but who'd want to on that tiny, little screen? People like Samsung went on a different path and screen size has been an important part of that success. It means to me that the "phones" finally fulfill their inherent promise.

Anecdotes aside, professional marketing surveys in the industry prove the truth of this--I cited one recently, can't find it. They are generally concluding that consumers who want high end phones want phones with bigger screens. That seems to make sense as the two do tend to correlate. If you want high end, most will want something that makes high end features easy to use.

All that you said is perfectly capable of being done on smaller form factors, the problem is we then hit the realm of subjectivity. Either way, regardless of some surveys, taking away the choice of having high den devices in smaller form factors is bad either way you slice it.

There are quite a few who got an iPhone because Android phones have gotten too big. Not everyone wants to compromise what the smartphone embodies: computing on the go. What is the point of that if I have to force myself to use phablets and get bigger pants to accommodate tech?

Really this is lack of choice in hardware which Android has always been the forefront of l, but lately it is wither get a phablet or be stuck on weaker specs and/or be left behind on updates.

Posted via the Android Central App

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I used to long for more high end compact phones, but once I finally did buy I 5" screen size I can't go back

I can't go back either, I'll admit right now. After I see how green the other side of the valley is. Ask yourself this, do you rather watch the hd movie on the 4" screen, or say on the 5.5" screen?

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
That's because you got used to it. I can't use one at all.

It's 5 pages into this wildfire call 'why the giant phone' you started. That's just say your mind is made up and you like smaller device.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I can't go back either, I'll admit right now. After I see how green the other side of the valley is. Ask yourself this, do you rather watch the hd movie on the 4" screen, or say on the 5.5" screen?

A 4 inch screen because I use my phone for more than just entertainment.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It's 5 pages into this wildfire call 'why the giant phone' you started. That's just say your mind is made up and you like smaller device.

I already said I like a smaller device, I don't know why that would be in question. The point of this thread is to ask why are high end smaller android devices being ignored.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I already said I like a smaller device, I don't know why that would be in question. The point of this thread is to ask why are high end smaller android devices being ignored.

It seems like you are getting a lot of answers but you just don't like the answers. It is possible that consumer preferences may change and the pendulum may swing back toward smaller phones but right now most people want 5"+ phones.

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site

Not being ignored, they just become specialized.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Consumers. Plain and simple. Company tries bigger screens... Consumers love them... Company makes more.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't either, why would you assume so? I have a stigmatism in both my eyes as a matter of fact,
don't know anything about astigmatisms but I know if you are far sighted like me, the smaller screens require me to wear stronger correction to be able to read and that gives me a headache.

Me and all my far sighted buddies love the larger phones. There apparently are a lot of us.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It seems like you are getting a lot of answers but you just don't like the answers. It is possible that consumer preferences may change and the pendulum may swing back toward smaller phones but right now most people want 5"+ phones.

Or it could be the fact most phones are 5 inches or more so of course more 5 inch phones would be sold. But at the same time the iPhone is 4 inches and sells millions very quarter. Something does not add up.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
don't know anything about astigmatisms but I know if you are far sighted like me, the smaller screens require me to wear stronger correction to be able to read and that gives me a headache.

Me and all my far sighted buddies love the larger phones. There apparently are a lot of us.

Stigmatism are refraction errors causing blurred vision. But I wear glasses, and I do just fine with 4 inch displays.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Not being ignored, they just become specialized.

Why is it specialized when it was the norm not too long ago? We did just fine with 4.7 inch displays before, now all of sudden it is too small and not smartphone worthy?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Why is it specialized when it was the norm not too long ago? We did just fine with 4.7 inch displays before, now all of sudden it is too small and not smartphone worthy?

Consumers. Plain and simple. Company tries bigger screens... Consumers love them... Company makes more.

This. Honestly.. This.. Consumers drive the market. They yelled bigger.. So companies do what sells.

Edit - okay it's not quoting my other post.. One sec..

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Or it could be the fact most phones are 5 inches or more so of course more 5 inch phones would be sold. But at the same time the iPhone is 4 inches and sells millions very quarter. Something does not add up.

The new iPhone will be a good example to test your theory. If the iPhone 6 stays at 4" and continues to sell well then you may be right. If, as suspected, the iPhone gets bigger then I think that would confirm that the movement to larger phones is consumer-driven. Apple is pretty good with their market research.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174