Who is To Blame for giant phones?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Stigmatism are refraction errors causing blurred vision. But I wear glasses, and I do just fine with 4 inch displays.

Posted via the Android Central App

Not always. I have one where my left eye goes absolutely nuts if I close my right eye. So no blurred vision.. As long as my right eye is open.. So my left eye doesn't go bouncing back and forth.

You may be fine with 4 inch... Others may not.. Or simply want larger. So what's wrong with them getting them from manufacturers?

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Stigmatism are refraction errors causing blurred vision. But I wear glasses, and I do just fine with 4 inch displays.
I wear glasses, too, but the smaller the screen, the stronger the glasses I need and the amount of correction I need to read the small screens gives me a headache. Hence my love of big screens.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
This. Honestly.. This.. Consumers drive the market. They yelled bigger.. So companies do what sells.

Edit - okay it's not quoting my other post.. One sec..

But the fact is more phones under 5 inches are sold than bigger phones (again iPhone). Why is the market being ignored if it makes money?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The new iPhone will be a good example to test your theory. If the iPhone 6 stays at 4" and continues to sell well then you may be right. If, as suspected, the iPhone gets bigger then I think that would confirm that the movement to larger phones is consumer-driven. Apple is pretty good with their market research.

They are still making a device that is 4.7 inches, which is still in the range of my original argument.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
But the fact is more phones under 5 inches are sold than bigger phones (again iPhone). Why is the market being ignored if it makes money?

Majority of phones are Android (85%+) and majority of those are big. Moto is by far the outlier.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

That's iPhone only really... Other than that it's budget phones. Even Apple is joining the market in bigger phones. Sure it may not be 5 but honestly.... A 0.3 isn't that big of a deal..

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Not always. I have one where my left eye goes absolutely nuts if I close my right eye. So no blurred vision.. As long as my right eye is open.. So my left eye doesn't go bouncing back and forth.

You may be fine with 4 inch... Others may not.. Or simply want larger. So what's wrong with them getting them from manufacturers?

Have you been diagnosed with a stigmatism? I flat out was told when I got my glasses a week ago, that I have one in each eye. My vision is awful without glasses.

But this goes along with, why is the iPhone so successful, if the screen is so small, and the market demands 5inch+? Or why was the Moto X so lauded everywhere yet had a 4.7 inch display? Or the HTC One M7 with a 4.7 inch display?

There are too many examples of good devices under 5 inches that undermines the fact that all mass consumers want are large phones.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They are still making a device that is 4.7 inches, which is still in the range of my original argument.

Your argument is a 0.3 difference.. Which is not that huge... Not like an iPhone now a days (4) to a note 3 (5.7).

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I wear glasses, too, but the smaller the screen, the stronger the glasses I need and the amount of correction I need to read the small screens gives me a headache. Hence my love of big screens.

I don't get headaches, and my glasses do just fine, so we will differ here. A usefulness of a smaller device for outweighs any benefits of a larger phone IMO.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Have you been diagnosed with a stigmatism? I flat out was told when I got my glasses a week ago, that I have one in each eye. My vision is awful without glasses.

Yeah my uncle is an eye doctor. He is the only one who could figure out how to test my eyes properly since I am a rare case... People would test my left eye and say it was bad when it's actually my good eye.. But that's because you can't test me normally... Once the right eye is blocked boom left eye goes back and forth non stop.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Majority of phones are Android (85%+) and majority of those are big. Moto is by far the outlier.

If I am remember correctly Android had a large market share with screens less than 5 inches for a long time. Big displays are the thing this year and this is what causes me concern.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
That's iPhone only really... Other than that it's budget phones. Even Apple is joining the market in bigger phones. Sure it may not be 5 but honestly.... A 0.3 isn't that big of a deal..

It can depending on the form factor.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Your argument is a 0.3 difference.. Which is not that huge... Not like an iPhone now a days (4) to a note 3 (5.7).

The problem is once devices get into 5 inch territory they get wider, taller and sometimes thicker.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If I am remember correctly Android had a large market share with screens less than 5 inches for a long time. Big displays are the thing this year and this is what causes me concern.

I agree but that ended in 2013 and the new trend towards bigger started in 2011/2012. I'd like to see it level off or for options to scale the spectrum more, but as long as larger comes with better features, smaller doesn't stand a chance.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree but that ended in 2013 and the new trend towards bigger started in 2011/2012. I'd like to see it level off or for options to scale the spectrum more, but as long as larger comes with better features, smaller doesn't stand a chance.

And this is my problem, at this rate, I will have to get an iPhone. And that is what my concern is, they have nailed down form factor and usefulness and power yet Android with all these manufacturers and phone variants can't make a powerful device under 5 inches.

This is a problem for me.

Roy Mustang

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Or it could be the fact most phones are 5 inches or more so of course more 5 inch phones would be sold. But at the same time the iPhone is 4 inches and sells millions very quarter. Something does not add up.

Most people who buy an iphone 5 don't really care about the screen size, they just buy it cause they like the simple interface or because an apple device is all that they have ever used or it's more like a status symbol.

And since you are mentioning apple over and over again you must also be aware that they are launching a 4.7 and a 5.5 inch device.

I think it must be very clear to you now that all the major players Apple, Samsung, Htc and rest are going for the 5inch + models so it is damn obvious that their is a big market for it.

And if you still wanna go small then their are still plenty of options, HTC one mini 2 and other mini models of the Galaxy S series to satisfy customers like you, I have mentioned that in my previous post as well.

So you can't say that you don't have any good option, your question seems pretty much meaningless to me at this point, I don't understand why you go on asking the same thing again and again when a lot of forum members have given you the right answer already.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
And this is my problem, at this rate, I will have to get an iPhone. And that is what my concern is, they have nailed down form factor and usefulness and power yet Android with all these manufacturers and phone variants can't make a powerful device under 5 inches.

This is a problem for me.

What are you currently using?

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site

Well, that may show how smart Apple is, if they are sensitive to consumer trends (larger screens) but are still able to make consumers in your preference category happy. Sounds like a win-win for you and Apple. As an aside, I think the reason Apple has been hesitant to make larger phones is due to Jobs' earlier comments that Apple had discovered the holy grail of smartphone sizes (3.5"). Making the iPhone taller to reach 4" was arguably consistent with Jobs' vision, but now they will eat a little bit of crow if they follow the trend to larger phones.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Most people who buy an iphone 5 don't really care about the screen size, they just buy it cause they like the simple interface or because an apple device is all that they have ever used or it's more like a status symbol.

I am pretty sure there are people out there who get an iPhone for the form factor. I knew a girl who wouldn't upgrade to an iPhone 5 because her iPhone 4 was perfect for her.

And since you are mentioning apple over and over again you must also be aware that they are launching a 4.7 and a 5.5 inch device.
It has pretty much been debunked there is no 5.5 inch iPhone. The 4.7 inch one still falls into my original argument.
I think it must be very clear to you now that all the major players Apple, Samsung, Htc and rest are going for the 5inch + models so it is damn obvious that their is a big market for it.
There is also a market for smaller phones as well.

And if you still wanna go small then their are still plenty of options, HTC one mini 2 and other mini models of the Galaxy S series to satisfy customers like you, I have mentioned that in my previous post as well.

Those are all underpowered device. My main OP was about HIGH END small devices.

So you can't say that you don't have any good option, your question seems pretty much meaningless to me at this point, I don't understand why you go on asking the same thing again and again when a lot of forum members have given you the right answer already.

You are completely skimming over my responses and not seeing what I an saying. If you needed further clarification, I will be happy to oblige.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz