Why are background processes using so much battery?

Peter Senuta

Apr 9, 2018
Visit site
I just bought a Samsung galaxy s7 and there are 5 apps using 10% of my battery each in a 2.5 hour time frame. That's 50%, which is ridiculous. They are Knox, Update apps, Gear VR, Help, and Beaming service. I am not able to disable these apps, only force stop them, which hasn't stopped them from running again and draining my battery more. I have seen others with the same issues with no good solutions. Some apps can close these background processes but they seem unreliable based on reviews because Samsung seems to have blocked them. I don't want to return this phone, but if I'm unable to fix this I might have to. My year old iPhone 5s had better battery life. Which of these apps are necessary, if any?

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
When you say 50%, do you mean that your battery drained 50% or is it more like it drained x% and each of those processes used 10% of that amount of the battery?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a Samsung galaxy s7 and there are 5 apps using 10% of my battery each in a 2.5 hour time frame. That's 50%
No, it's not 10% of the total battery capacity, it's 10% of the amount used. So if the battery is at 90%, that's a total of 10% used, and if each of 10 apps used 10%, that's 1% of total battery capacity each.

The only solution is to root the phone, then freeze Knox (which you don't need unless the company you work for is using the Knox suite and you can't access company data without it), GearVR and Help. Beaming Service is stuff like NFC, and Update is not only the apps but the OS (which you can freeze until after an update, when you've read that there are no major bugs in it, then unfreeze it, update, then refreeze it).

I_didnt_do_it

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
Disabling Gear VR, help, and Beaming service should help with that, most folks don't use those anyway. Could disable Knox as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bawan maviya