Why can't I get wifi on my LG e425 phone, neither from a public network nor a private one?

A

AC Question

I can no longer get wi-fi on my LG e425 phone, neither from a public network nor a private one.

I was able to get wi-fi 10 hours ago. It has since stopped. The only change I made to my phone was turning the wi-fi off. Last night I bluetoothed three albums to the phone, which made the phone tell me I was running out of storage, which might affect the functionality of the phone. However, the wi-fi still worked. This afternoon I deleted three albums and cleared the extra data from my Facebook app and my Google+ (not the social network... and I didn't delete the apps, just cleared the extra data). Now it says 'Obtaining IP address' forever, without success, or it tells me that it quit trying the connection despite the fact that I am less than 2m/6 feet from the router. I am using my laptop at the same distance with 5 out of 5 bars and perfect functionality.

Now I have no wi-fi on my LG e425 phone, and I have already tried the following:

- Turn off and restart

- Turn the router off for 30 seconds and plug back in

- Delete the networks I'm trying to connect to and reconnect to them, adding the password again to the private one

- Turn on aeroplane mode and turn it off again

- Make sure 'avoid weak connections' box is unticked in 'advanced settings'

- Go into my phone's wi-fi settings. Unfortunately the 'advanced settings' of my phone does not offer me offer the chance to change the settings manually or to click on a DHCP option.

- Download and use WiFi Connection Fixer

- Download and use WiFix

- Take SIM card out of the phone and try connecting with a different network

What more can I do? I'm away from home until tomorrow night, so can't back up stuff and do a factory reset until then.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: I can no longer get wi-fi on my LG e425 phone, neither from a public network nor a private one.

- Turn the router off for 30 seconds and plug back in
If the laptop is getting a connection, the router isn't the problem, unless you have all your DHCP addresses given out already. (The default is 252, but you can set that to anything between 0 and 252. Keeping it at the number of connections you usually have keeps anyone else - like someone in the car parked across the street - from connecting.) You could have also set a block in the router for the phone's MAC address (or someone could have done it to you).

- Go into my phone's wi-fi settings. Unfortunately the 'advanced settings' of my phone does not offer me offer the chance to change the settings manually or to click on a DHCP option.
The default is DHCP, and you should leave it that way in almost all cases with a phone. (The only reason to change it is if you have incoming connections that have to be passed to the phone - IOW you're running server software on your phone and it has to be connected to from outside your network.)

- Take SIM card out of the phone and try connecting with a different network
The SIM card has absolutely nothing to do with wifi.

Aside from trying all the things in B. Diddy's link, the only thing I can think of (and I think it's the case here) is a hardware failure - the wifi radio went bad.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackMarkers