Why does my phone lag when headphones are plugged in?

A

AC Question

I've had this phone for less than a year, and it ran smoothly. Although the past few days it's been almost useless. Most of my time involves using headphones on my phone when my computer isn't around. Lately, whenever I watch YouTube, or listen to a podcastz or plug them in at all. They just seem to lag my phone so hard, it's unbearable. Even when it's not lagging, the audio cuts in and out. I tried numerous other types and pairs of headphones, and I get the same problems every time. I'm currently on a Droid Maxx running 4.4.4 Thanks for any help.

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Do you have any 3rd party apps that uses headphone? Like music players,etc. Try uninstalling them 1 by 1 to see if any of the apps are making your phone slow.

Posted with ❤Love❤

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! So if you unplug the headphones, the lag immediately goes away? What if you use headphones that don't have a mic or remote control buttons?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The headphone jack on my Droid Maxx failed within the first year, and I wonder if the jack itself is failing on yours, constantly signaling that headphones are plugged in, unplugged, plugged in, unplugged, thousands of time per second - causing the lag as well.

I solved my problem by switching to bluetooth earbuds, which were fantastic, always worked, and actually supported the volume buttons better than the plugged in earbuds ever did.

You can try cleaning out the headphone jack - there may be lint that is causing the issue - by doing *very* brief blasts of forced air from a can of air, or even with a a q-tip shorn of most of its cotton and dunked in some rubbing alcohol. That may clean out the jack, *if* that is the issue. Or, try looking for some good BT headphones/earbuds.

Headphones on The Wirecutter