Why I think no removable batter/MicroSD is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
You definitely don't have to be tethered to a swappable battery or external data storage device. Carry the rapid chargerfor the car, home and office in a convenient place. Keep an external charging device in your back pack. Don't be lazy and manage your data. Take responsibility to store important seldom used thing and carry only what you need. If you have everything on the device and then you lose it, you are really up,a creek.
I definitely agree with you on this. My Moto X is the first smartphone that I've ever owned that didn't have an SD card place and a removable battery. I find that I'm carrying around fewer accessories for my phone when I'm out and about. I find that the more I'm using my Mind to X, the less I miss having a removable battery and a place for an SD card. I back up my major stuff on a cloud so if there's a catastrophic problem with my phone, I don't lose any of my important stuff.

Sent from my Motorola X Developer Edition using the Tapatalk app.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
If you read my post you would see that all is backed up to several places. Never had a card fail.

Posted via the Android Central App

If you read my posts, my point of the exclusion of the swappable battery and expandable storage are not the end of the world. The device offers more in exchange in improved performance and hardware as well as new things like dual wireless charging. There are great alternatives to both.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
If you read my posts, my point of the exclusion of the swappable battery and expandable storage are not the end of the world. The device offers more in exchange in improved performance and hardware as well as new things like dual wireless charging. There are great alternatives to both.

It's not for me. Your reasoning for me doing without what I need from a phone is right for you. Doesn't work for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I can not understand why people will fill up an SD card with 64 GB of music and movies. .....

Well, obviously. :) I hesitate to dive back in, but ...
...15 hours of music-....when you get to a point where you have a serious collection, you won't want to always have to choose from the SAME 15 hours. Over time, that becomes tedious. How often do you listen to the same song in a short amount of time? Having more things: It's not that you play everything all the time, but that you have choices that fit your whims and are always seeming fresh. If you're constantly loading and unloading mps to avoid that "boredom" problem--that's a serious hassle. Much, much easier to just keep lots of choices with you and load it up. You walk down the street in Paris and see something that reminds you of an album you heard 15 years ago--it's there. What's wrong with having choices? Choices are a good thing, aren't they? Why in the world would having more choices be a problem rather than a benefit?

Your comment about "real life" and the gym made me laugh, though, and most motivated this post. One of the reasons I especially like all my music with me is that I travel a lot (as I indicated). In the last 24 months, I've been to London, Paris, Athens, Lisbon, Rome and other places. That's what I'd call real life. Going to the gym is merely daily tedium by comparison. :)

Last edited:

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
When I had my Treo, a 2gb SD card was plenty. Then in the next couple years I needed 10gb. As the years went on, I needed more.
Back in 95, my 500mb hard drive in my PC was all I could ever imagine needing.
So,
some don't understand why people want/need such and such gigabytes.....
It might be good to quit thinking we know what others need or don't need.
It demonstrates a really shortsighted viewpoint.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and germs. From recent reviews, it seems that the underlying context is that the move toward more energy efficient and powerful devices with improving battery technology as well as options to being a digital pack rat are growing. On the whole, not having swappable batteries and expandable storage may wain in their importance and be a thing of the past.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Here's the thing;
Supposedly people complained about TouchWiz and Samsung supposedly listened and toned it back.
Supposedly people complained that they were tired of plastic and wanted a nicer device and supposedly Samsung listened and built a higher level quality device.
These are the arguments in these forums.
But now, no one is supposed to complain about no Convenient Inexpensive Swappable Battery and Convenient Inexpensive Expandable Memory.
Seems to me, it's good for people to express/complain. It appears Samsung determines what people want by what people say they want.
Even if some in these forums don't want to hear it.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Here's the thing;
Supposedly people complained about TouchWiz and Samsung supposedly listened and toned it back.
Supposedly people complained that they were tired of plastic and wanted a nicer device and supposedly Samsung listened and built a higher level quality device.
These are the arguments in these forums.
But now, no one is supposed to complain about no Convenient Inexpensive Swappable Battery and Convenient Inexpensive Expandable Memory.
Seems to me, it's good for people to express/complain. It appears Samsung determines what people want by what people say they want.
Even if some in these forums don't want to hear it.

It's awesome that we all have different views and we should definitely express them. Consider that there was a larger chorus of feedback received by Samsung that led them to exclude them.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I am saying that Samsung must have had feedback and market research that influenced their design choices

Yes, but people spoke out about
'design choices' Samsung made regarding Plastic and TouchWiz.
And so Samsung listened.
Why would we expect Samsung to stop listening now?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
And so Samsung listened.

They aren't going to stop and will always try to respond to consumer demand. They also try to influence market trends. Believe whatever you want. That's your right and I think that's awesome.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I'll be laughing at all those who demanded a "premium build" and now have phones that are all cracked up like an iPhone.

IMHO glass (except for the actual screen) is not a premium material.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I'll be laughing at all those who demanded a "premium build" and now have phones that are all cracked up like an iPhone.

You know what? I can totally see that happening.
Funny thing is; I've never complained about TouchWiz or Plastic. :-D

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

That's the tough part to figure out

about the whole thing. Glass isn't premium and it for sure is a fingerprint and dust magnet.
If Samsung ready wanted premium why not go with leather?

But as long as they still listen there's hope that the s7 won't be an ISung.

If I'm counting all my sd cards I'm at 256 gig so even the top model wouldn't be enough, what a joke.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
They aren't going to stop and will always try to respond to consumer demand. They also try to influence market trends. Believe whatever you want. That's your right and I think that's awesome.

But you and some others have expressed irritation with people expressing their 'right' - complaining about no Swappable Battery or SD card.
We can't all be Cheerleaders.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
But you and some others have expressed irritation with people expressing their 'right' - complaining about no Swappable Battery or SD card.
We can't all be Cheerleaders.

Whatever. There is no irritation on my part. I have mentioned diversity and tolerance on many occasions. Let's get on topics as this pointless back and forth is what is wearing thin.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying people asked Samsung to exclude the Swappable Battery and SD Card?

And so Samsung listened.

Samsung is listening. Just not to you. You want to know who they're listening to? Large enterprises, the ones buying iPhones for their employees, because they're more secure, and don't have things like removable storage. Yes, that's a reason. Security is big these days, people lock down USB ports on laptops for security. But Android doesn't let you lock down the MicroSD card, only encrypt it. But guess what? If the device doesn't have an SD slot, then the enterprise that is willing to buy a few thousand iPhones might be willing to buy a few thousand Galaxy S6 devices instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgegerta08