wireless icon keeps gray while connected

paparazzo79

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well connecting to wireless network worked fine until today.I wanted to connect to found wireless network which had excellent signal,and my nexus 7 connected to it,but that icon of wireless was still gray and there was in it like an arrow blinking (the icon wasn't blue like it should be).The strength of signal was excellent,necus 7 connected to it in few seconds but I couldn't open any website despite that.
What could be the possible problem and what should I do?
I tried second found network which had less signal strength but it happened the same.

Last edited:

iHelpYouShy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Usually when this happens, it is not your N7, but your wireless network. It can either be your modem or router. It happens to me when my modem is not working.

paparazzo79

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Usually when this happens, it is not your N7, but your wireless network. It can either be your modem or router. It happens to me when my modem is not working.

I don't think that is the issue because I got same problem on other networks,with good signal strength.I don't have any problems opening the webpage with other device such as my cellphone.

shona001

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem yesterday, I've had my N7 since September, never had a problem and then yesterday it just would not connect to any wifi signals when I was out, the icon just stayed grey, I tried turning wifi on and off, turned the Nexus on and off, etc but nothing, as soon as I got home it connected fine to my home router. I went to the cafe that I regularly use and never had a problem before had really strong signal strength but again it just wouldn't connect.

Lets hope somebody here know what the problem might be.

paparazzo79

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
well today I tried in second local caffe and I got message obtaining IP adress and nothing then,it just hangs on that message.
I am not sure,but I started to think that they maybe change wep/wpa key so this happens.
I went to store where I purchased my tablet and they connected to my N7 normally,but her network was not protected.

Last edited:

paparazzo79

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I'vre managed to solve the problem.I switched to static IP adress under advanced seetings and put any of my ISP adresses and changed DNS1.Now I can not install anything from google apps,but what the hell,I can normally connect to any wireless network.

shona001

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I don't really understand what you did. I assume you went into 'settings' then 'wifi' then did you just select the wifi network you were getting a signal from? What IP address did you put in? and what did you change the DNS1 to? Sorry if I'm being a bit dim, but this was driving me mad yesterday and I tried everything and couldn't get it to work.

As I said above it works fine at home or to any secured router that I have the password for it's just places with BT openzone etc it will not connect, well it connects but the icon won't turn blue so I can't use the internet or anything.

hichris123

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It might be that a you need to open a web browser and accept their terms and conditions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

shona001

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
It might be that a you need to open a web browser and accept their terms and conditions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Yes I do, but without being able to connect to the internet I can't open the appropriate web browser, as I said I haven't had any problems before this just started a few days ago. I'm not sure what to do now, I'm going out tomorrow to a place where I've always been able to connect before so will try again then before I panic too much.

marlame

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this is a duplicate, but I'm new here and I "replied to threat" and I don't see my reply,
I have a Nexus 7 tablet and have a FreedomPop photon hot spot. Used to work but lately I get only a grayed out wifi symbol even though it says connected and strength excellent. The tablet works on all other wifi signals. Tried resetting, rebooting, on both devices. FP support not giving me anything I haven't already tried. Can't access their 192xx site either saying server unavailable (no matter which browser I use). Sounds like there is a lot of "grayed out" wifi symbol issues. May be my imagination, but I think this started with the latest JellyBean update, didn't experience this before that I don't think.

Steve Eklund

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a Toshiba Thrive AT100 on ICS. Same wifi problem as shona001, multiple different routers: I am connected to network but wifi icon is gray and no Internet. Sometimes a reboot works, sometimes not. Forgetting and adding back network rarely works. Often turning off wifi and turning it on causes unit to hang at "turning on wifi". Changing address to static did not fix. Problem started when I upgraded to ICS.

LinWilCar

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have a solution to this issue? I've got the same thing at home and other places. My computer connect fine, by phone connects fine, but the Nexus 7 keeps going gray.

Mordant_ug

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
The problem is caused by AES setting in wireless router security. If you set it to TKIP the problem regarding your grey wireless icon will be solved because some devices are not 100% compatible with AES. When it's grey it says that your phone is connected to the wireless router but with no internet connectivity.
LET US KNOW IF IT HAS SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM. Good luck!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The problem is caused by AES setting in wireless router security. If you set it to TKIP the problem regarding your grey wireless icon will be solved because some devices are not 100% compatible with AES. When it's grey it says that your phone is connected to the wireless router but with no internet connectivity.
LET US KNOW IF IT HAS SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM. Good luck!

That's an interesting point, and I think I had that problem. For anyone who isn't familiar AES or TKIP, these are the two password encryption methods used with the WPA or WPA2 security protocols on your router.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pemujica14