Wow. Pixel XL reviews are up. Looks good!! Anyone thinking of getting this

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand why people finance these phones like it's a car or something. I simply pay in full each phone I get and I'm not rich. Totally silly to finance a tech device for years. If you don't have the money, save up for it or wait then.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand why people finance these phones like it's a car or something. I simply pay in full each phone I get and I'm not rich. Totally silly to finance a tech device for years. If you don't have the money, save up for it or wait then.
People do what works for THEM. I don't believe folks are paying interest on these phones, however.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

I do the 24 month installment option, which equals the full price of the phone, zero interest. Nothing to lose with this option because you can pay the phone off in full at any point. So the only difference is, the person that paid in full is out of pocket immediately, whereas the person making zero interest installments is only out of pocket, less than $40 a month. And like I said before, you can always pay the balance in full at any point.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I do the 24 month installment option, which equals the full price of the phone, zero interest. Nothing to lose with this option because you can pay the phone off in full at any point. So the only difference is, the person that paid in full is out of pocket immediately, whereas the person making zero interest installments is only out of pocket, less than $40 a month. And like I said before, you can always pay the balance in full at any point.

I do this, and I always pay off my phone within 6 months to a year.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I am single & do the same. However a friend of mine has 4 people in the household. So when they update, she is buying 3 new devices & their youngest gets a hand me down. 3 phones x $700 plus tax & zero incentives to pay cash on the spot & definitely see the advantage of the Next type plans. Every one of us is in a bit of a unique situation. So it is good there are options.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I do the 24 month interest free payments. What's wrong with that?

I also didn't have to wait for money to be returned to me when I had 2 N7's recalled either.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

I'm on T-Mobile JOD, had the Note 7 but now have the S7 Edge which is ok but not the phone I wanted. If they stick to the same time line then the S8 will be out in about 6 months. With my monthly payments I will pay about $190 for the phone over those 6 months and then get the new S8. T-Mobile sells the S7 Edge for $789, why would I buy it outright? My usual purchase history is a new Note every year, for me it makes more sense to do the lease then buy it outright and try to sell it later and get some money back out of it. All I have to do is simply take the old phone in and give it to them, that's it. Now if you do not get a new phone every year then this may not be the best option. Just because someone chooses to take advantage of a lease plan does not mean they don't have the money and can't afford it.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I am single & do the same. However a friend of mine has 4 people in the household. So when they update, she is buying 3 new devices & their youngest gets a hand me down. 3 phones x $700 plus tax & zero incentives to pay cash on the spot & definitely see the advantage of the Next type plans. Every one of us is in a bit of a unique situation. So it is good there are options.

So if you had a girlfriend you would still spend the cash on new phones rather than the girl?:)

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Generally speaking, that's true - but if you finance, you may be giving up a really nice free perk from your credit card company. Many credit card issuers extend the OEM's warranty a full year if the card was used to fund 100% of the purchase price in the original transaction. This means if you have an issue (that would have been covered by the OEM's warranty in the first year) in the second year you're not stuck paying out-of-pocket for a repair, or, if you have insurance, not having to pay the deductible.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Generally speaking, that's true - but if you finance, you may be giving up a really nice free perk from your credit card company. Many credit card issuers extend the OEM's warranty a full year if the card was used to fund 100% of the purchase price in the original transaction. This means if you have an issue (that would have been covered by the OEM's warranty in the first year) in the second year you're not stuck paying out-of-pocket for a repair, or, if you have insurance, not having to pay the deductible.
Yeah but if you factor in how much interest is costing you, you could probably just get an extended warranty on the phone. So I don't really think that's a good reason to use a credit card instead. In my case though, I'm keeping the phone for only 6 to 12 months so I don't really care about a warranty anyway. It'll be someone else's problem by then

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but if you factor in how much interest is costing you, you could probably just get an extended warranty on the phone. So I don't really think that's a good reason to use a credit card instead. In my case though, I'm keeping the phone for only 6 to 12 months so I don't really care about a warranty anyway. It'll be someone else's problem by then

For you, definitely makes sense. My comment was more directed towards a person who pays off their full card balance monthly (hence no interest charged) and anticipates keeping the phone beyond the OEM warranty span.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Basically, like above, I don't hate it but I don't love it. Swype doesn't work nearly as well so I will be learning how to actually text again because I am getting sick of correcting words. I am spending far less time on this phone than my Note because it isn't fun. I guess that is a good thing 😢😂

Don't you use google voice for texting?

Bartone

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
Got the Pixel XL in black... Returned it within three days. The phone feels cheap and not premium, also the lenses flaring/ halo problem everyone is talking about with the camera shows up way too often in my photos. I went to the store and picked up a Matte Black iPhone 7 Plus from the store. It is much better than the Pixel.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
For you, definitely makes sense. My comment was more directed towards a person who pays off their full card balance monthly (hence no interest charged) and anticipates keeping the phone beyond the OEM warranty span.
Makes sense, but my guess is most people would rather finance than pay the full price of the phone at once which is what you're effectively doing.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Makes sense, but my guess is most people would rather finance than pay the full price of the phone at once which is what you're effectively doing.

Depends. For me, the value of an extra year of peace of mind at no charge against things that aren't my fault that might go wrong with the phone (not to mention those lovable skymiles!) was worth paying the price up over having it gradually taken out of my bank account through scheduled payments, wherein the only real benefit would be trivial interest income. For anyone for whom upfront cost of the device isn't a practical concern who has such a benefit through their issuing bank, I'd think it would make sense. Most people are just unaware of that free warranty extension being an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bawan maviya