Yahoo mail issues?

sean kotvasz

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I did have the same issue and even went into a T-Mobile store and was advised to use the Yahoo Mail app, which I hate.

So, this is what I did to fix the issue.

1. Go into Mail
2. click settings
3. Select your Yahoo Mail
4. scolled down to incoming server & set the server to imap.mail.yahoo.com (it was orginally set to Samsung.imap.mail.yahoo.com)
5. outgoing server & set the server to smtp.mail.yahoo.com (it was orginally set to Samsung.smtp.mail.yahoo.com)
that was it removed the "Samsung." and now NO more prompts asking me to sign in.

Hope this helps!

Nick 615

May 8, 2013
Visit site
The same thing has happened to my phone on numerous occasions. But I have been able to narrow the problem down when it happens. Every time I go away from my wifi, the notification will pop up a few minutes later saying sign in failed. I have no answers to this, only the problem

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I've also been having this problem and I've tried all the solutions buy my email keep saying the same thing. It is my yahoo e-mail and it's been going on for a while. It is usually when I go to a different wifi.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Clearing the app's cache has resolved this for everyone else I've seen. If you've done that, and it still won't work, try clearing data for the app. You'll need to re-enter your userid and password.

llmgtab

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have had this happen periodically in the past, but yesterday it started happening always. Tried clearing app cache, then phone cache with no luck. Cleared the app data and now cannot set up my yahoo account for credential issues. Can access on the desktop so I know my password is good.

I don't care for the yahoo app, so may be a good time to look to switch to Gmail.

llmgtab

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Decided to try the yahoo app, and once I authenticated there, I was able to authenticate in the stock mail app as well.

Krystal Flores

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
So I came across this thread as I was experiencing the same issue.

I solved it!!! You must go into your account setting on a desktop computer and make sure your phone number is verified. Yahoo will send you a text message with a code to verify your phone number. Follow the link on your phone or enter it in on your browser and then follow the prompts. Once completed I then selected the error message on my phone and I re-entered my password (for the thousandth time!) and VIOLA! It worked! We will see what happens in the next few days. Mind you I was receiving the error message about 10-15 times a day for about 2 weeks.

Hope this works for you!

John VanPatten

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Just went from iPhone (for past 4 years) to Note II last week and on the 14 day trial. I am brand new to the google operating system. I have the same issue described here. Yahoo mail worked fine for a week and now errors all day. Verified my phone number, forced stop on stock email program, deleted data, went to email and entered my info and "setup could not finish" incorrect user name or password. I never had to join an iPhone forum because everything worked all of the time...I am still in my trial period and may go back to iPhone. Other troubles were Recorded video at normal speed but no sound, very slow going from screen to screen due to an app I loaded which was corrected when I uninstalled....

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You didn't ask any questions, so I assume you just want to vent. Enjoy your iPhone. There's nothing wrong with preferring that, but understand there are trade-offs. And that the rest of us are here because we prefer Android.

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I have been seeing this for a while too on my GS3. I just enter my password again and it starts working again for a few days until the next time it comes up. Also Yahoo automatically signs you out every two weeks, wonder if that has anything to do with it.

ringo234

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I get the same messages every once in awhile, I know my emails are coming in. I wish I could just disable the notifications because they're very annoying when listening to music while driving.

AcaiBowl

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
SOLVED.
Go to yahoo help and type: Generating App Password.
First you need to create an app password.
"Certain apps don't work with Yahoo's second sign verification.
They include:
? Mail apps like iOS Mail, Android Mail, and Outlook.
To use these apps, you'll need to generate an app-specific password, and then enter it in the password field of your app. You'll only have to create and enter the password once for each app. "

So basically you need to use a different password when accessing your Yahoo Mail from a smartphone ou tablet. When accessing from your computer use the normal password.

bluejean46514

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
This is not an uncommon problem, the net is chockfull of users complaining their androids are sending almost nonstop buzzer alerts, "failed to sign in to yahoo"...over and over and over,
even when I have repeatedly signed into yahoo, and even when I have made entirely new passwords, and cleared cache, and restarted phone, and almost everything else that is recommended above.

I have had this trouble off/on with my galaxy s4 and the email app that came built into the phone which i'd set to my yahoo email account as the default for that.
IT'S TRUE what someone else above said---this only happens when I am on 'data' and Never happens when I am on wifi.

anyway,
I read the last post above there, and thought, since no one else replied, that THAT must be "THE" solution,
and then, when I followed the directions, and i read the many pages of info, on creating an app specific password, and after so many paragraphs of warnings, caveats, etc, and so many more steps involved than is indicated in the post above, about turning off two step verification, and some of the instructions did NOT match the steps found on my gs4...
I DID THIS: EASY CHEEZY SOLUTION. DOES NOT EVEN HURT, ha ha. Takes all of one minute.

I decided to delete my yahoo "stock" app (the email app that came built into the phone, it is white envelope icon, with red circle, says "email" under it). Well, the app IS still there, but, there is no longer any email account associated with it. It's blank/empty/unused. Nothing at all in there, if I click on it now, except a place to "set up email"
You DO NOT lose any data at all. soon as you log into the play store version of the yahoo app, Evvvverything is right there, even drafts, etc.

and now I just use the Yahoo app found in the "play store", which NEVER ever gets honked off about "failed to sign into yahoo". Not even when I am off my wifi and just on data. YAY!! .:D
This app icon is a purple square, with a white envelope with a blue triangle on the envelope. THAT app has wayyyyy more features than the 'stock/built in' email app that came with my phone. The purple icon playstore yahoo email app is much more like a desktop way to look at yahoo mail, with all the features your desktop has.

anyway, using the play store "yahoo" email app is very
easy solution.

no more nonstop buzzers the minute you leave a wifi area...

AHHhhhhhhhh.....:D

Last edited:

scroacher

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Generating App Password...worked like a charm. Quick and easy (was easier than finding this thread, seriously if you have trouble doing this then you shouldn't be on a smartphone to begin with), also fixed a couple other apps that intermittently had same issue retrieving Yahoo acct data. Yahoo should make it more apparent that they added this ability.

asianguy80

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Generating App Password...worked like a charm. Quick and easy (was easier than finding this thread, seriously if you have trouble doing this then you shouldn't be on a smartphone to begin with), also fixed a couple other apps that intermittently had same issue retrieving Yahoo acct data. Yahoo should make it more apparent that they added this ability.

For those that do not know about this Yahoo feature, you must activate second sign-in to get to the "generating app password" section in your "account info" tab of your e-mail. Took me a day to figure it out but email works like a charm now...so far.

asianguy80

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Looks like I may have spoke too soon. On my N4, when I used the app specific password it worked like a charm for a day...then it's been on and off, mostly off, for the rest of the time since my last post. Like before, on WiFi it works perfect but once I get out of a network phone starts chiming like crazy every 15 minutes. Maybe I will give the yahoo mail app a shot but with so many bad reviews I doubt it could be any worse than the Android stock e-mail app.

bluejean46514

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Looks like I may have spoke too soon. On my N4, when I used the app specific password it worked like a charm for a day...then it's been on and off, mostly off, for the rest of the time since my last post. Like before, on WiFi it works perfect but once I get out of a network phone starts chiming like crazy every 15 minutes. Maybe I will give the yahoo mail app a shot but with so many bad reviews I doubt it could be any worse than the Android stock e-mail app.

I have had no problems, none, with the yahoo app. I just deleted out the yahoo account from the stock email icon, because it rang alarms, "failure to sign in to yahoo" repeatedly, no matter what I did. Now, if I do click on that stock email app, it just has a link, "Set up account".

But, using the yahoo app, no problems, and it does have many more features than the stock email app had anyway. good luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rezaking886