Yea, but is it a good phone?

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I would give my employees the best phone available. The Galaxy Nexus is the best phone available. In most cases and in most places there are no problems with the GN that would concern me.

Forums like this one are a natural area for complaints. The phone is fantastic.

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
FrankXS,

no, we abandoned MS Outlook LONG ago. We are completely integrated into Google Services. Everyone has a gmail account synced to their phone. We also have a master shared calender for events/vacation roster/etc. I can't even begin to tell how much this has simplified our existence. I can also tell you our municipal employees (police/fire/city hall) here also transitioned to Google services, if that tells you anything. I spoke to a police manager who indicated their agency just ditched Sprint/Nextel and reissued their employees Android phones.

The big difference is this, on MS Outlook we needed a tech to come handle interface issues, which no exaggeration was DAILY. I can't believe people still buy that software. I think most people who still cleave to MS Outlook do so only because of familiarity, which a sad. They really don't realize how much easier their life would get.

We essentially streamlined our process by going Google. Google services + Google Phone. I mean really it makes complete sense. No more resolving constant issues between devices.

My coworkers manage their own calendars, email and contacts on their own and rarely need help from a tech. Syncing OTA versus plugging in with a cable, which was necessary with a Blackberry. Our issues now are mostly between the PC and other software.

I wish I could help you with MS Outlook. I was somewhat knowledgeable about it at one time. But it was such a major PITA.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have this discussion ALL the time. Blackberry vs. Android. Which is better for business? Well let me tell you from the perspective of someone who worked in a professional legal environment where we transitioned from Blackberry to Android (Google). Initially, our entire organization went Google. Microsoft Outlook was CRAP, Lotus Notes was the worse, and then the transition to Google who came in and set EVERYTHING up for us.

#1. I keep hearing the RIDICULOUS argument about Blackberry having better email. The horse $hIt push vs. pull technology difference. A critical aspect for my section, especially dealing with the courts and legal affairs is email / calendar service. Make ALL the arguments you like, here is the bottom line. Our email functions absolutely NO differently with our Android devices than it did with our Blackberries. There is no lag, no lost emails, NADA. Even better, when one of our phones is lost, damaged, etc, a new device is put online and as you know, Google services, emails, apps, etc are pushed into the new device by simply logging in ONE time. Try that with a Blackberry.

#2. Web surfing. Blackberry vs Android. Really? I don't even need to go there.

#3. Editing docs. Blackberry vs Android. Android makes Blackberry it's beeyotch in this environment. Bigger screen is the main advantage.

I could go on and on. But the bottom line is that Google makes you a nice neat package under one email address for ALL your services. Additionally, my employees love their phones and are fully allowed to install apps to either enhance their abilities or combat boredom when in wait mode.

Honestly, I loved my Blackberry when there was no Android alternative. In addition to my work Blackberry, I also had a personal Blackberry that I flashed beta builds to and customized. But Android pretty much ended that ride with its far greater power, connectivity and customizability.

Android completely outclasses Blackberry in EVERY aspect. It's one thing to say you simply PREFER Blackberry. Its a quality device, no question. But to say it has any edge on Android is simply dogmatism. You are lying to yourself if you go there.

What professional environment did you work with? So I know not to go with them for legal services.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
FrankXS,

no, we abandoned MS Outlook LONG ago. We are completely integrated into Google Services. Everyone has a gmail account synced to their phone. We also have a master shared calender for events/vacation roster/etc. I can't even begin to tell how much this has simplified our existence. I can also tell you our municipal employees (police/fire/city hall) here also transitioned to Google services, if that tells you anything. I spoke to a police manager who indicated their agency just ditched Sprint/Nextel and reissued their employees Android phones.

The big difference is this, on MS Outlook we needed a tech to come handle interface issues, which no exaggeration was DAILY. I can't believe people still buy that software. I think most people who still cleave to MS Outlook do so only because of familiarity, which a sad. They really don't realize how much easier their life would get.

We essentially streamlined our process by going Google. Google services + Google Phone. I mean really it makes complete sense. No more resolving constant issues between devices.

My coworkers manage their own calendars, email and contacts on their own and rarely need help from a tech. Syncing OTA versus plugging in with a cable, which was necessary with a Blackberry. Our issues now are mostly between the PC and other software.

I wish I could help you with MS Outlook. I was somewhat knowledgeable about it at one time. But it was such a major PITA.
Thanks. I don't really need help with MS Outlook. I'm one of those guys who gets paid to come in and work on MS Outlook or MS Exchange and the interface :) I'm sure the Google folks you said came in and "set everything up" didn't work for free either. I was just curious.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience.

-Frank

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I've used the gnex extensively without owning it. It would be a pretty good option.

My problems and why I don't use it for business...yet...

1. I don't get signal at my house...it drops calls constantly. My other phones do not do this. Data isn't a problem because I have a tablet with a good data connection w/ hotspot and wifi.

2. There are a couple engineering, sales and credit card swiping apps that aren't yet compatible with ICS. While they might work I can't use them until its official...

3. I have trouble with non gmail email and android. My gmail works flawlessly but for some reason not all my email gets pushed in a timely enough matter...or at all.

4. Mass texting or the lack there of (this is more of a personal use thing).

Most of this stuff will be resolve soon I hope and I plan on picking one up.

Juststef

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I love the phone, but it's really for a techie who likes to tweak. The volume for the speaker is a native software issue. It will undoubtly be addressed in the next OTA. You can download volume+ from the market. However the best immediate solutions are for rooted phones.

Even volume + will extend the speaker volume further with root. You can also flash kernels that have addressed the issue. This phone is definitely a learning and developers phone. In the end of the day it will be the best phone because the development community is all over this! However for the average phone user, they won't want to fix or improve their phone. If it's not perfect out of the box with the best all around specs, they will perceive it to be inferior.

As a techie you will probably love the phone and the extended functionality that the development community will bring. For the average user, they will most likely thank you for a recommendation of the razar, rezound, or the iphone.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus is in no way a phone that you should depend on if you must have a phone/text connection for business.

In fact, you should in no way consider a phone that hasn't been out for at least 4-6 months so that some of the bugs have been ironed out.

Don't forget that ICS was just released on this phone and is still essentially in public beta with bugs being ironed out.

I'd go with a tried and true phone for business purposes.

astraelraen

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I've owned Motorola Android phones, my wife had a Galaxy S1 and now we both own the Nexus.

I would stick to Motorola for voice purposes. There voice radios are still better than Samsung, even in the Nexus.

Also, I'm not sure I would consider an LTE phone yet for business purposes if it's primary purpose is 70%+ talk. You will destroy an LTE phone's battery pretty fast with that much talk time.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I would also like to say just for battery life alone I would stay away from any LTE phone right now. Unless web use from their phone is used alot or needed for business. That faster connection is nice, when its working....lol.

Although....the Bionic and RAZR have a higher rated talk time battery life than the Droid X1. The Bionic and RAZR are 1 and 2 for longest talk time battery life of any Android phone on Verizon right now. The batteries arent that much bigger too. LTE is just a battery hog the for any data use.

Talk time battery life for the Droid 1, Droid 2, Droid 3, Droid X1, Droid X2, RAZR, Bionic, Thunderbolt, LG Revolution, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S all pass the Galaxy Nexus. The Motorola's from the Droid 2 on up have alot higher talk time battery life than the other phones.

Me, battery life and reception are my biggest wants n needs. I got the talk time battery life info from here:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Smartphone11/350

Which most consider a go to spot for tech info and reviews.

Last edited:

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm also in the I.T. business. I use the G-nex for my business phone and have no issues. This is why I'm hesitant about rooting. I can't afford for anything to go wrong. The nexus works fine as a phone for me, especially on Verizon's network.

The one advantage I like about the BB is the instant emails and the ability to set times for the phone to power down and wake up. The cellular network is the biggest factor for me, since I'm mostly a mobile tech.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with voice calls. My biggest problem is with 4G indoors. I feel like I'm back with my Epic 4G with getting 4G reception indoors. Its pathetic really. My thunderbolt was much better at that. Its really been a bummer the past couple of nights when we've been taking some pictures at bars and restaurants. Other than in the bars and restaurants, the reception has been great in the house or out and about. Voice has been great, never missed or dropped a call yet. Battery life has been better than any android phone I've had without an extended battery (considering this is 4G, I find it amazing. You can complain all you want, but in comparison with other devices it compares with, it is really good on the battery). I hope future radios fix the indoors issues... but since those come from Samsung, I'm not too optimistic on that. Honestly, Samsung sux when it comes to radio software. I wish Google would write the Radio software.

Reactions: Ken7

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I would also like to say just for battery life alone I would stay away from any LTE phone right now. Unless web use from their phone is used alot or needed for business. That faster connection is nice, when its working....lol.

Although....the Bionic and RAZR have a higher rated talk time battery life than the Droid X1. The Bionic and RAZR are 1 and 2 for longest talk time battery life of any Android phone on Verizon right now. The batteries arent that much bigger too. LTE is just a battery hog the for any data use.

Talk time battery life for the Droid 1, Droid 2, Droid 3, Droid X1, Droid X2, RAZR, Bionic, Thunderbolt, LG Revolution, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S all pass the Galaxy Nexus. The Motorola's from the Droid 2 on up have alot higher talk time battery life than the other phones.

Me, battery life and reception are my biggest wants n needs. I got the talk time battery life info from here:

AnandTech - Bench - Smartphone11

Which most consider a go to spot for tech info and reviews.

Yep talk time is a good test of the battery size since most phones use similar amounts of power....however browser typically indicates performance and software optimization ...

AnandTech - Apple iPhone 4S: Thoroughly Reviewed

Only thing I like about this thing aside from the camera....

Reactions: jroc

zero.

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
seems the real issue here is the GN's inconsistency phone to phone or user to user. "it's perfect!" vs. "i returned it" is all over.

just because of this i can't justify changing to a GN, because my biz is indeed hinged on my phone working. in my field if you miss, drop, or dont return a call within minutes then you miss the business, period. the GN appears to be a risky choice because of this. i cannot be an early adopter in my line of work either.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I would give my employees the best phone available. The Galaxy Nexus is the best phone available. In most cases and in most places there are no problems with the GN that would concern me.

Forums like this one are a natural area for complaints. The phone is fantastic.

With the exception that 53% of owners report data issues. It would be interesting to see a poll on simple phone calls with the GNex and see if a pattern exists there too.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
With the exception that 53% of owners report data issues. It would be interesting to see a poll on simple phone calls with the GNex and see if a pattern exists there too.

And where do you get those statistics? A forum... a natural place for people to exhibit nerd rage. If 53% of people really had data issues, it would make more national news. While I have had data issues, its better than the Epic 4G for me when I was on Sprint and only a tad worse than the Thunderbolt. Its definitely not a deal breaker. Definitely no voice issues.

Juststef

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
seems the real issue here is the GN's inconsistency phone to phone or user to user. "it's perfect!" vs. "i returned it" is all over.

just because of this i can't justify changing to a GN, because my biz is indeed hinged on my phone working. in my field if you miss, drop, or dont return a call within minutes then you miss the business, period. the GN appears to be a risky choice because of this. i cannot be an early adopter in my line of work either.

My cell phone is directly connected to my ability to do business as well. I haven't had any of those issues. Actually non of the ones you just described are prevalent issues with most users.

I would say right out the box issues, would be call volume. It's not quiet, it's just not as loud as some others. There are fixes because it's a software issue. Battery life, not the greatest on 4g. The development for rooted phones as far as kernels and roms are concerned has been so amazing, these issues have been addressed.

I always have my phone on 4g + wifi + bluetooth. Major battery drains. Prior to rooting, 4 to 6 hrs on one extended battery charge.
After rooting, 7+ hrs.
Modified by updating my radio, 11hrs.
Flashed Axiom rom 15hrs. I had three hours of on screen display time out of the 15.

My volume issue was addressed with an app called volume +. After rooting, the GN was as loud as my former blackberry storm. Now that my radio has been updated, I don't need it at all!

I still think that my blackberry storm and droid x had better call quality. I haven't had anyone complain on the receiving end. I can hear, I just don't think it's as good. However, I haven't heard a lot of forum members complain about it and I suspect with the development community it will get better as I have seen with other issues.

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What professional environment did you work with? So I know not to go with them for legal services.

Frank,

I'll be nice and say your particular spot in the societal stratification precludes you from the ability to afford the services we render. Have fun working with that nightmarish software, which I am sure was designed to create the bureaucracy that keeps you puttering around cubicles for at least the next 5 years.

Cheers

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I use mine for business all the time. Only dropped calls were in Tue basement of the Hotel. And people were surprised I had signal at all. Voice calls are clear. And again emails with exchange are great.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
And where do you get those statistics? A forum... a natural place for people to exhibit nerd rage. If 53% of people really had data issues, it would make more national news. While I have had data issues, its better than the Epic 4G for me when I was on Sprint and only a tad worse than the Thunderbolt. Its definitely not a deal breaker. Definitely no voice issues.

No need to get upset, simply stating the stats from the poll conducted here. I don't see any reason to discount it even though there are some that want to discount anything negative relating to the Nexus.

BTW, the signal issues have made the national news in the websites that normally speak to these things. If it wasn't an issue, you wouldn't see it mentioned in the sites either. I do agree that I haven't had any voice issues, but there have been some that have reported that as well.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Frank,

I'll be nice and say your particular spot in the societal stratification precludes you from the ability to afford the services we render. Have fun working with that nightmarish software, which I am sure was designed to create the bureaucracy that keeps you puttering around cubicles for at least the next 5 years.

Cheers

Who is Frank? You've lost me there. And I am no way, shape or form, attempting to try and afford the services you render. I pay for professionalism when it comes to legal advice.

For example: #3. Editing docs. Blackberry vs Android. Android makes Blackberry it's beeyotch in this environment. Bigger screen is the main advantage.

and

The horse $hIt push vs. pull technology difference

I know its only a forum and you can say what you want. But I wouldnt pay money for legal advice from a dude that talks like that. lol thats just my opinion. We all have them. But its ok. Carry on ;)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hengwin