s-off but not rooted?

onlyoneromeo

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
ok. im a lil confused. heres my situation. i rooted with revolutionary. then my charging port broke and now im stuck with root. i dont want to return the phone like that so im tryin to find a way to unroot before i return it so i can avoid the hassle of tryin to convince verizon not to honor my warrantee for a defective chargin port. since i didnt have access to the charging port i let the phone update to see if it would kind of knock the root off the phone and return it to stock. well it looks like its back to stock but when i reboot using the power button and vol down button it says "revolutionary" and "s-off"

so i figured im still rooted and i was going to try and use the adb wireless method but when i go to install busybox or adb wireless it tells me i need to have my phone rooted. i thought s off meant it was. guess not.

can anyone tell me how someone in this situation would get the security back on and the revolutionary stuff off my phone ?

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
ok. im a lil confused. heres my situation. i rooted with revolutionary. then my charging port broke and now im stuck with root. i dont want to return the phone like that so im tryin to find a way to unroot before i return it so i can avoid the hassle of tryin to convince verizon not to honor my warrantee for a defective chargin port. since i didnt have access to the charging port i let the phone update to see if it would kind of knock the root off the phone and return it to stock. well it looks like its back to stock but when i reboot using the power button and vol down button it says "revolutionary" and "s-off"

so i figured im still rooted and i was going to try and use the adb wireless method but when i go to install busybox or adb wireless it tells me i need to have my phone rooted. i thought s off meant it was. guess not.

can anyone tell me how someone in this situation would get the security back on and the revolutionary stuff off my phone ?

I don't approve of this, but as an absolute last resort you can just tell them you lost the phone and they'll send you a replacement as opposed to giving you one on the spot.

Also: I'm pretty sure it's something within the Revolutionary method itself that makes it unable to be unrooted through wireless adb. It's not that your phone isn't rooted; s-off doesn't lie.

Last edited:

onlyoneromeo

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah problem is that they already have sent me a replacement and are just waiting for me to send this back . I guess I'm going to be that guinea pig to send back a phojneq with s off and see if they try and charge me for it. I asked a rep what happens w a phone they receive and thhey said they get torn down and wiped clean so I don't see w hat difference it makes if it has been modified or not. Besides I'm sending it back for a bad charging port which is physical. We will see....

onlyoneromeo

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
OK ill try the wireless thing but if its anything like the advice its going to tell me I need to be rooted like the other programs do even tho I'm s off. Ugh. This is so frustrating.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Root = "administrative" access to the device (i.e. system files and such)
S-off = unlocked bootloader (allows you flash custom Recovery, ROMs)

They are not one and the same, but most root methods will attempt to gain both root and s-off.

If the wifi file explorer doesn't work, allow me to recommend getting a dropbox account. Makes it easy to transfer files from computer to device with no wires needed.

onlyoneromeo

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
OK ill try the wireless thing but if its anything like the adb wireless its going to tell me I need to be rooted like the other programs do even tho I'm s off. Ugh. This is so frustrating.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Sorry... but I just have to say this... rooting your device will void the warranty... everyone knows that... if you don't know that you should... now you want to see if you can return that device to VZW and have them honor a warranty you voided by rooting... and you are frustrated... :confused:

Oh I know some will be mad at me for making this statement... again, sorry!!!

onlyoneromeo

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
IM returning the device because if a bad charging port not claiming a warrantee i voided by bricking my phone.i dont understand what a faulty charging port has to to with me downloading programs to my phone.

im frustrated because of this bad charging port i cant reverse the program i downloaded not because of anything else my dealings with vzw.

onlyoneromeo

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanx.I actually did do a search and believe it or not didn't see that .anywho can someone explain to me how to use this to push commands to my thunderbolt to get it unrooted ?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry... but I just have to say this... rooting your device will void the warranty... everyone knows that... if you don't know that you should... now you want to see if you can return that device to VZW and have them honor a warranty you voided by rooting... and you are frustrated... :confused:

Oh I know some will be mad at me for making this statement... again, sorry!!!

Nope, you're 100% correct. The FAQ I wrote (linked to in my signature) warns of exactly that.

IM returning the device because if a bad charging port not claiming a warrantee i voided by bricking my phone.i dont understand what a faulty charging port has to to with me downloading programs to my phone.

im frustrated because of this bad charging port i cant reverse the program i downloaded not because of anything else my dealings with vzw.

The faulty charging port probably does have nothing to do with you rooting the phone...but once you decide to root, that is one of the risks you take.

Thanx.I actually did do a search and believe it or not didn't see that .anywho can someone explain to me how to use this to push commands to my thunderbolt to get it unrooted ?

Dropbox is very helpful as you can use it to transfer files from you computer to your device. It cannot, however, be used to "push commands" to your device. I'm not sure there is any way to do that, especially since several of the commands outlined in the unroot procedure involving using ADB while in Bootloader.

I'm really not sure if there is any way to send ADB commands from bootloader without the USB cable...?

Just a question in general for anyone to answer, why can you not just install a full un-rooted RUU to reverse the rooting process? Does that not work?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe I'm answering a question you've asked because your knowlege far exceeds mine but as I understand it installing the unrooted ruu does work but the locked revolutionary hboot will remain so a cursory look at the phone will reveal that the warranty has been voided.

Reactions: paintdrinkingpete

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe I'm answering a question you've asked because your knowlege far exceeds mine but as I understand it installing the unrooted ruu does work but the locked revolutionary hboot will remain so a cursory look at the phone will reveal that the warranty has been voided.
this is correct the ruu will flash but not not flash the bootloader

Reactions: paintdrinkingpete

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

this is correct the ruu will flash but not not flash the bootloader

I assumed it was something to this effect, which is unfortunate for the OP. Because I rooted using the older method months ago (and have not had a reason to UN-root), I was not sure.

onlyoneromeo

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
well thanx guys for all you help. i guess ill be the guinea pig to send a rooted damaged phone back to vzw. ill let you guys know how this unfolds.

if they notice and are going to charge me full retail price for the replacement phone they sent me im going to ask that they send me my old phone back if im going to have to buy the replacement. and secondly im going to ask that they adjust the price accordingly as they are not sending me a brand new phone so i shouldnt be paying full retail for it.

wish me luck...
lol

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
well thanx guys for all you help. i guess ill be the guinea pig to send a rooted damaged phone back to vzw. ill let you guys know how this unfolds.

if they notice and are going to charge me full retail price for the replacement phone they sent me im going to ask that they send me my old phone back if im going to have to buy the replacement. and secondly im going to ask that they adjust the price accordingly as they are not sending me a brand new phone so i shouldnt be paying full retail for it.

wish me luck...
lol

I'm glad you're doing it the right way, and I applaud you for it. I'd bite the bullet myself just based on principle (I'd probably find an Alias 2 on eBay lmao I actually miss mine a bit!).

But if you're going to go through all that, most people would still just tell them that it was lost. Can't expect them to want you to send it in if you don't have it anymore, right?

dually

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it. Just send the phone back.

Look, as long as you took an over the air update then you are running a stock unrooted rom. In which case I doubt anyone at the factory even cares about s-off or even knows what it is. Either way, your hardware warranty should be unaffected by any hacking you did.

Just send the phone back and don't worry about it.

dually

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
And rooting does not void your warranty unless you have a software related problem.

In which case rooting and hacking gives you the ability to fix software problems yourself. Just keep hacking and modding until you figure out what the problem is or what you did wrong.

So in reality, the only way that rooting can void your warranty is if you brick your phone, but that is extremely rare, and at that point no one would know why it was bricked anyway.