Merge is a go for Verizon ... launching tomorrow apparently

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
If this phone had actually come out last year like it was supposed to, it would seem like a good mid range phone, but at this point in the game it looks like it belongs on the budget line. Like, I would get this for a teenager on a limited data plan.

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
The post has an update that says it won't be at corporate stores, but at 3rd party retailers. How's that work with contracts, etc? Is there any disadvantage to going to one of these stores?

butler360

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow, just when I had fully given up.

My biggest concern would be unlocking/ROMs. I don't want to be stuck with a locked down/unsupported phone. I know HTC is historically pretty good about that, but if it's such a botched launch like this it may not get much developer support.

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I look forward to comments on Verizon Merge sightings. There's a 3rd party retailer near my house but I'm swamped the next couple of days unfortunately. Hopefully, some user reviews will come out too.

Also, where's the usual crowd of folks that should be freaking out at this news?

Last edited:

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It's a shame that HTC's first landscape slider on Verizon isn't very good. One of my friends was going to get a Droid R2D2 and I told him to wait for the Merge because it's still a slider and it's HTC, but I didn't realize the specs were so low end. Maybe I'll tell him to hold on until the Droid 3 comes (he has an OG Droid).

I guess I can see why this isn't going to be in any corporate stores.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The post has an update that says it won't be at corporate stores, but at 3rd party retailers. How's that work with contracts, etc? Is there any disadvantage to going to one of these stores?

No, not really. That's how I started on Verizon about 8 years ago. I went through a 3rd party retailer. They are usually the stores that are called something like The Cellular Connection (or something like that) and say Authorized Reseller.

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Called around a bunch of places (Best Buy, some Verizon "authorized resellers") and none had even heard of it. I wonder if it will be a little while till any of them come in.

BoSoxSuperman

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I look forward to comments on Verizon Merge sightings. There's a 3rd party retailer near my house but I'm swamped the next couple of days unfortunately. Hopefully, some user reviews will come out too.

Also, where's the usual crowd of folks that should be freaking out at this news?

Here!!!

Sorry...busy at work.

Needless to say, I still want this, especially after having my DInc for 2 weeks...I LOVE Android, and the Incredible is awesome, BUT FOR the lack of a real keyboard. Thus, the Merge, which is essentially an Incredible with a Keyboard (the 2nd gen 800 mhz chip is as good or better than the Inc's older 1 Ghz chip...or so says Phil...and the random dude I met who had a merge) , is perfect.

My only real concern is not so much ROM support (I probably won't root) but the fact that they will ignore it accessories/updates-wise...I had a Blackberry flip for the last 2 years, and hated how the OS was never bumped, nor could you find any accessories.

As for BING...I don't use the search that often, especially with "Around Me" app and Google Maps being available to download.

Balance that with the fact that there seem to be ZERO slider keyboard phones on the horizon for Verizon...I may have to jump on this thing...

I am a little hesitant though...maybe its because I know I don't get another upgrade for 2 years....:(

EDIT:

Forgot to say for good measure: Damn you Verizon, you black slab loving tools. This should have been out MONTHS ago...

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
If this phone had actually come out last year like it was supposed to, it would seem like a good mid range phone, but at this point in the game it looks like it belongs on the budget line. Like, I would get this for a teenager on a limited data plan.

This is exactly how I feel.

To me, the only positives of this phone are the awesome keyboard and being an HTC slider phone.

With that said, the negatives include only an 800MHZ processor, 512MB Ram, old HTC sense, old android OS.

Coming from an OG Droid, with 256 RAM, 600MHZ Processor, Same size screen, no HTC sense and 2.1, I feel like I would be wasting my money on this phone. Especially with so many new phones coming out that boast a 1GB of Ram, 1MHz processors, new versions of Sense or any other Rom and the new Android OS. I don't know how I could justify this phone.

BoSoxSuperman

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget this phone is 2nd gen Snapdragon...meaning the 800mhz chip is as good or better than the first gen 1ghz chip...or so they say.

Even my friend in the Verizon call center told me it would be faster than my DInc.

JDangles

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I have tried calling every "3rd party" store I can think of in the area - Walmart, Radio Shack, 2 Best Buys, 2 mall Kiosks, and Target. None of them ever even heard of the HTC Merge. Is this a big joke or what?

Edit: I tried Costco as well...

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
If the price is right this could still be an excellent device for one big reason. What other devices on Verizon are HTC with a keyboard? :p Buying this off contract is probably the best course of action, but I use my phone mostly for business so this would still be perfect for me.

cthunder

May 2, 2011
Visit site

This phone is perfect for anyone (not just a teenager) wanting a smartphone with a kybd. And don't need all the latest bells and whistles. The only think lacking is maybe 4G, but other than the is a very nice phone. The specs are no worse than the G2 or HTC Desire.

cthunder

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I have tried calling every "3rd party" store I can think of in the area - Walmart, Radio Shack, 2 Best Buys, 2 mall Kiosks, and Target. None of them ever even heard of the HTC Merge. Is this a big joke or what?

Edit: I tried Costco as well...

Sounds like it hasn't been shipped it, hopefully it's shipped soon. My 2 year is up and this is the phone I have been waiting for. *shrugs*

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall