Stock Froyo on Charge?

mikednichols

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Is there any truth to the reporting that the Charge allows one to run stock Froyo? (link below):

Hands on with the Samsung Droid Charge! – Android and Me

This would be much better than TouchWiz.

The only things holding me back from waiting for this over the Thunderbolt (had it, returned it and now might get it again since Bionic seems dead):
(1) Apparent lack of support from developer community (especially compared to Thunderbolt)
(2) TouchWiz as the stock UI

If this thing is running stock Android, it might generate more interest from consumers and developers. I would think this would be bigger news if it is true.

Jasoninator

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That article says it will have the ability to use the stock *launcher*. Not AOSP. Most rooted phones I can think of have the ability to hack in and use a stock launcher just like you would use ADW or LauncherPro. In fact, my TBolt has the stock GB launcher as one of the options since I flashed it. In other words, Sammy including it is no big deal. Why did you return the Bolt? I'm not here to be a homer or anything, I certainly don't benefit from people buying Bolts, just curious.

mikednichols

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Whoops... my bad. Should read more closely. Tired eyes stumbling on stuff like that at the end of a long workday I suppose :)

I returned the Bolt because of the issue of hissing/white noise in the earpiece. Other than that I loved it. First Android phone. I don't have 4G yet, and I wasn't experiencing any negative battery issues.

The obvious draw of the Charge is the display. I'm a huge A/Vphile and black levels make a huge difference in my opinion, especially for someone like myself who enjoys dark/black themes. The Thunderbolt had a great display and probably above-average contrast levels for a cell phone, but I'm spoiled by a really nice TV and the Charge's display should be terrific.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
yeah im ready to throw my TB through best buys window, to buggy, screen seems dull compared to my fascinate and just not happy with it over all.

Jasoninator

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Whoops... my bad. Should read more closely. Tired eyes stumbling on stuff like that at the end of a long workday I suppose :)

I returned the Bolt because of the issue of hissing/white noise in the earpiece. Other than that I loved it. First Android phone. I don't have 4G yet, and I wasn't experiencing any negative battery issues.

The obvious draw of the Charge is the display. I'm a huge A/Vphile and black levels make a huge difference in my opinion, especially for someone like myself who enjoys dark/black themes. The Thunderbolt had a great display and probably above-average contrast levels for a cell phone, but I'm spoiled by a really nice TV and the Charge's display should be terrific.

It's easy to misunderstand that article since they just threw it in there and didn't really explain what they meant. I actually had to read that section twice before I understood what they were saying.

In response to your and DroidXcon's issues, I will say the TBolt appears to have some weak quality control (a result of pushing it to sale?). Mine has a vibrant screen, no more bugs than any other non-AOSP device I've run, and I've never had any earpiece sound issues. I've warned many people to try their Bolt out before they leave the store with it. Granted, I'm not a big video fan on the phone, so having the SAMOLED+ wouldn't make a huge improvement in my usage. I suppose that's why they make so stinking many phones :p

My main concern with the charge is Sammy support (as always) and dev support, since the Galaxy S2 will hit Europe really soon and probably the states by the end of the year. Just seems like the Galaxy devices are their flagship, so I'm unsure of how the Charge fits into that plan. I do hope it's a good phone though (I'm ready to see some LTE alternatives for non-Bolt lovers)

mikednichols

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
yeah im ready to throw my TB through best buys window, to buggy, screen seems dull compared to my fascinate and just not happy with it over all.

Are you concerned about the lack of interest from the developer community? Everyone seems excited from write up custom ROMs for the TBolt (and there was interest prior to its release). This does not seem to be the case for the Charge despite the source code having already been released.

Seems like a fantastic phone hardware-wise, but if I can't get CM7 or a similar, high-functioning custom ROM on the device I'd be disappointed and probably regret my decision to pick up what is otherwise a great phone.

(sorry if this is off-topic)

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Why are we referring to skinned launchers / phones as non-AOSP? I don't get the reasoning.

I definitely agree with the guys over at This Is My Next, as they were discussing the fact that Google should demand that manufacturers should demand that all Android phones should have the option to use vanilla Android.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So what do you plan to do with it when the Charge is finally released?

Best buy has an awesome return policy

In response to your and DroidXcon's issues, I will say the TBolt appears to have some weak quality control (a result of pushing it to sale?). Mine has a vibrant screen, no more bugs than any other non-AOSP device I've run, and I've never had any earpiece sound issues. I've warned many people to try their Bolt out before they leave the store with it. Granted, I'm not a big video fan on the phone, so having the SAMOLED+ wouldn't make a huge improvement in my usage. I suppose that's why they make so stinking many phones :p

My main concern with the charge is Sammy support (as always) and dev support, since the Galaxy S2 will hit Europe really soon and probably the states by the end of the year. Just seems like the Galaxy devices are their flagship, so I'm unsure of how the Charge fits into that plan. I do hope it's a good phone though (I'm ready to see some LTE alternatives for non-Bolt lovers)

Are you concerned about the lack of interest from the developer community? Everyone seems excited from write up custom ROMs for the TBolt (and there was interest prior to its release). This does not seem to be the case for the Charge despite the source code having already been released.

(sorry if this is off-topic)

Android OS updates from Sammy doesnt mean much to me. everyone makes a stink over them and then when they get them they are crying about the next update. i tend to love my phone for the hardware. Nothing has run smoother than my fascinate so i love samsung for that.

Lack of support from the devs may be a problem but if it is ill take matters into my own hands.
look at the conitnuum there would be no rom or its very own clockwork if it wasnt for me making things happen.

and if i need to learn to build a rom ill do so, i started to learn to deodex. i took very little info about odin packages and ran with it.
no one taught me much about how to write scripts but i made the auto root and unroot for the TB despite my lack of fondness for it.

So those things dont bug me. give me a phone that runs smooth and has a great screen and im happy

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree, DroidXCon. Most people don't even know what benefits Gingerbread will have for them and their everyday use, and most people here aren't waiting for the official updates anyway.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non