What Keyboard/Messaging app do you guys use?

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I've tried out keyboards like swiftkey and others, and i've tried handcent and go and I just don't really like them that much. Do you guys have any recommendations on what you use?

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I use the stock messaging app. Never needed to change it.
Keyboards: Swype for one handed typing. SwiftKey for two handed typing.

Sent From My Note 2.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Handcent and Stock with swipe activated, I ended up using Handcent some time ago and like it's features, I'd hit a known SMS but once that wiped out all my threads / messages so with handcent and sms backup I'm covered, this was using Gingerbread on my Tbolt, not sure if Google has fixed this in JB

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I use Swype and stock messaging. Actually, I use MightyText and text from my work computer or tablet more than from my phone.

Have you noticed a Mighty Text draining your battery faster? I was using it for about a week, but when I would get home from work I noticed my battery would be around 25% instead of the usual 55-60%. I don't know how/why it was such a drain on my battery but since i'v stopped using it my phone has been back to normal.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I use swiftkey and just use the stock Sense 5 messaging application which is a improvement over Sense 4+ IMO.

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you noticed a Mighty Text draining your battery faster? I was using it for about a week, but when I would get home from work I noticed my battery would be around 25% instead of the usual 55-60%. I don't know how/why it was such a drain on my battery but since i'v stopped using it my phone has been back to normal.

I haven't noticed a drain, but it is usually on the charger at work when I'm texting and Mighty Text was one of the first things I installed. This phone gets fantastic battery life compared to my old phone. I can have it fully charged when I leave work on Friday (I usually charge at work), and not have to charge again until Sunday. At home, I'm on Wifi, but text quite a bit (usually using my N7 and Mighty Text), make numerous phone calls (no landline any more) and a bit of surfing if we're out and about.

I have absolutely no complaints about this phone.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I use swiftkey and just use the stock Sense 5 messaging application which is a improvement over Sense 4+ IMO.

How did you get Sense 5 on your phone? I don't want to root the phone because I expect the Sense 5 update will come sometime in the future and I don't want to accidentally mess up my phone.

To answer the initial question above, I use swiftkey and have the flow feature active because it works a bit better than swype now that it has learned how I type, including my potty mouth.

I use the Sense 4 messaging app, but I am not overly impressed with it. Hopefully Google Babble comes out with KeyLime Pie and we can get on that messaging service instead.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Rooted and running a Sense 5 ROM, there a few out now and more coming each week. Hopefully Verizion/HTC will roll an an Sense 5 OTA so everyone can upgrade.

Last edited:

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I use Swype and stock messaging. Actually, I use MightyText and text from my work computer or tablet more than from my phone.

Is MightyText good? I've been looking for an app like that. If it does MMS that'd be awesome. I've got a lot of group texts going in and out that are MMS.

Try the jellybean keyboard. It's the aosp keyboard

Adding my 5sense

I forgot about that one! I had that on my Thunderbolt for some time, I'll check it out thanks! Its a lot less flashy than the swype and swiftkey keyboards.

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Is MightyText good? I've been looking for an app like that. If it does MMS that'd be awesome. I've got a lot of group texts going in and out that are MMS.

Yes, it does MMS messages. I had also tried TabletTalk but preferred MightyText, as I had been using it for a long time. Be aware that it works with Chrome on the desktop. One of the nice features is the "Power View" which lets me have multiple text windows open at a time.

zero3187

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I've been using handcent with the stock android keyboard. I thought the standard HTC keyboard was okay but the key layout was a little off-putting to me. I would have kept using the stock HTC messaging app too but it doesn't let you set notification ringtones for particular people. At least not that I've noticed.

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I forgot about that one! I had that on my Thunderbolt for some time, I'll check it out thanks! Its a lot less flashy than the swype and swiftkey keyboards.

Another vote for Mighty Text... currently renting a cabin in the pacific northwest -- only one spot in the place gets cell phone signal but I'm not going to stand there all day. so... Mighty Text from my computer and tablet bounces texts via wifi to the phone and from the phone to the rest of the world! Very very handy.

As to the OPs questions:
1. SwiftyKey Flow
2. Handcent

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I am going to try this when it comes out. I pledge $5 dollors and will get to try the betta in June.

The Minuum Keyboard Project | By Whirlscape

I saw this on reddit when it first came out. I'm interested in trying it, just skeptical if I could get used to it. On the other hand, when I had my Motorola Razr back in like 2004 I texted like a boss on T9 and that was similar to what Minuum looks like. I still don't text as fast as I did with T9 on my Razr.

So as to MightyText I started using it. It DOES do MMS, but it doesn't work for group text messages the same way it does on the phone :/ I just get a "0" in the thread of the person who sent the message, instead of in a group text thread, unless there is a setting I'm missing?

TeritorialDemon

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
The one SMS app that I haven't seen anyone mention is GO SMS Pro. I use to use it but I switched to Handcent. Less memory usage, full customization, and runs smoother.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The one SMS app that I haven't seen anyone mention is GO SMS Pro. I use to use it but I switched to Handcent. Less memory usage, full customization, and runs smoother.

Go products seem to be full of bloat, glitches, and the free versions push ads to your notification bar, so I stopped using them a while back. They may have gotten better since I have used them, but the free versions did not run well enough for me to recommend paying for apps. Just my .20

I use swift key. The word prediction is bomb once it learns your typing style.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty