3G Signal Strength & Indicator

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I bought my Dinc2 yesterday and love it. However, I've noticed that the apparent signal strength in familiar locations, as measured by the bars, is significantly lower than my OG Droid. It's not unusual for there to be no bars showing, but I'm downloading data just fine. I know that the bars are not a very exact indicator of signal strength, but I'm wondering if others have noticed a similar thing.

On a possibly related note, my reception at my office, which I already knew was poor, is even worse with the Dinc2. I frequently drop to 1X and even lose the signal altogether. It makes me wonder if the antenna is not as sensitive as my Droid. It's a bit disappointing, but I can live with it.

I realize it's also possible that VZW may be having signal issues, so I'll wait and see if the situation changes. All that said, the phone is an excellent upgrade from my Droid and I'm glad I made the change.

jtg11

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I have experienced the same thing. The number of bars that display does not seem right relative to the real signal and some here will say that it is only a display issue. While I agree that the bars displayed does not appear to be an accurate reflection of the signal, there is no doubt that my real signal strength is not as good as my Moto Droid 2G or my BB Bold..

Hoping the pending (supposedly) OS update fixes this.

ExXeroid

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue, however I have also been dropping calls. (In places where my previous)Verizon phones worked extremely well.
Love the phone but I think there might be an issue with reception.

jaspergretsch

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same thing. I had to return the first phone because it repeatedly would drop calls. The replacement did a few times but over the last few days it seems to have gotten more stable.

I'm not too concerned about the status indicator. It seems to just be more of an annoyance than anything. Though in areas with a stronger signal it's more stable.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
i have irratic bars as well and at first, I thought there was a serious signal problem. My Blackberry signal always held strong, particularly in the known places I'm at. But my calls never drop and even when theres no bars, my internet still seems to work and downloads still continue to go. I wonder if its a signal reader issue rather than an actual signal issue

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
i have irratic bars as well and at first, I thought there was a serious signal problem. My Blackberry signal always held strong, particularly in the known places I'm at. But my calls never drop and even when theres no bars, my internet still seems to work and downloads still continue to go. I wonder if its a signal reader issue rather than an actual signal issue

That's what I'm thinking, although at my office reception is poor, but it always has been (metal frame building with lots of concrete in a rural area.) I was on the road yesterday and had noticeably more bars in a couple of cities, but no discernible difference in actual performance.

BTW, call quality is much better than on my Droid. Big plus.

jaspergretsch

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Well I dropped another call this morning. I'm going to have to just live with it. I think in my place I'm just not getting as reliable of a signal. I'm moving to a better area in a few months so I'll just deal with it. I don't like any of the other phones that are out there now.

98koukile

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I'd rather have it read low than the phones that say 3 bars and leave you hanging with actual performance. You'd think by now they'd have it worked out to be proportional though

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this is significant or related but I've had stranger than usual signal from vzw in the past week or so. I'm using my blackberry still too. It may be verizon.

Sent from my CrackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

drtroostr

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Same as you all...

Came from a VZW BB 8530 to a Dinc2. Absolutely LOVE the phone, BUT it gets terrible signal strength. More 1X than 3G. I also show no bars or 1 at the most with signal strength between 90-100dBm. I have also dropped more calls in the last week than I have in the last year. I stopped by VZW last week and inquired. The CSR told me they are getting ready to launch 4G here in Dayton on 6/16 and they have had towers up and down so service has been shady while they prepare for the upgrade. She told me that if I am still having issues after the 4G upgrade, to come in and they would swap out. I would tend to believe her if I hadn't read of so many others with the exact same problem.
This could be the best 3G phone on the market if they could figure out the signal issue. I don't want to wait and hope that Gingerbread fixes this because if it doesn't, I will be out of my 14 day replacement period. Might have to swap and see if the replacement is any better.

Frustrating....

cc1184

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not so certain it's a software issue... I'm now on my second Dinc2, the first had essentially a defective GPS (+/- 4 mi. wasn't good enough for city driving)... but the signal strength was reliable and no dropped except where I usually do.

Now with the replacement I got yesterday I don't even have service in areas where it used to only be borderline, ----- even after updating the roaming (and watching the Verizon person do the same steps only to pronounce it "looked fine") my signal strength indicator was -90db vs. the in-store model hovering around -80 while they were side-by-side (50% less strength?).

So yea --- I'm thinking there might be some QC issues in play, but I'm going to give it another day and see before I contact AmazonWireless and see what hoops I need to go through to return a second one as well now. It'd be nice to not have to choose which part of the phone I'd prefer to be defective......until I figure it out at least I'll enjoy a functional GPS.

Sidenote: e-mails are delaying being sent as well now, which kinda surprised me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11