Incredible Review Thread

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Ok so i just got back from a local Verizon store that let me play with a new HTC incredible. my initial judgment is awesome. The manager was very nice and allowed me to play with the device for nearly 45 minutes. we then started talking back and forth about the pros and cons of this device compared to the droid.

1. This phone does NOT feel flimsy or cheap as some people have said. Compared to a droid it is lighter. But it is more sleek, less sharp edges and slides in and out of my pocket effortlessly. it sits in my hand nicely as well. easy to hold when typing. and while holding it against my face.

2. Signal strength. People have been speculating saying that the HTC will have inferior signal strength compared to the droid. I set both devices on a surface for a few minutes and let them acclimate. Both devices had the same signal strength they were both at 3 bars.

3. no more physical keyboard. Big whoop. it really isn't a big deciding factor for me because i hardly use the physical one on the droid. The virtual keyboard software for the incredible is far superior to the software that comes on the droid. typing a message proved easy and accurate. having no keyboard also means no more sliding mechanism. which means this thing wont come open in my pocket like my droid often does wasting precious battery life.

4. touch screen. VERY VERY nice. it feels very accurate. it handles my gestures much better than my droid.

5. wow is it fast. That snapdragon processor is great. this thing is wicket fast. On my droid, if you do a long press on the main screen and want to add a new application. there is a slight pause between pressing "applications" and when they actually show up, even with no other programs running. doing the same test on the incredible is instant. no lag. no delay. just simply does it. going in and out of applications is very fast as well. and turning the phone sideways to landscape is very fluid and fast.

6. Camera. it takes pictures much faster than my droid. although i cant speculate on quality too much, but it does have that 8mp camera when the droid has 5mp. so im sure it is much better. Unlike the droid that has a dedicated camera button (which chips paint off easily Ive read) the incredible does not have one, but i used the virtual joysticks depress function to take a picture very easily.

7. Virtual joystick. or whatever they call it. Proves handy in some situations, like taking a picture. its very easy to get used to (took me a minute or two) and it has a depress function as well so you can use it to select things. nice addition to the phone.

8. Battery. cant speculate much. it was fully charged when i got it and didnt change when i was done. Although some people say it will be worse than the droid. i think that is a chance i will have to take.

9. Sense UI. although i wasn't able to test much of the features of sense UI out since the phone was set up for someone else. i can tell you i like the idea of it very much. i think it will prove very easy to use and handy. the fact that the phone has 7 home screens to begin with, and has additional "scenes" means you could technically have an unlimited amount of screens filled with icons.

10. Phone dialer. What an improvement over the droid phone dialer. First off. the sense UI puts the phone icon right on the bottom of the screen all the time when in your home screens. so it is easy to access. the droid requires you to have the icon placed on one of your screens and unless you have helix launcher you have to go to that screen to use it.

also finding a contact is much easier. something my blackberry had was just start typing someones name in the dialer and it will come up then press send. the droid has this, but it requires you to flip open the physical keyboard and be in the contacts tab of the phone dialer. kinda annoying. the incredible's phone dialer is like my blackberry. i simply start typing the first few letters of a persons name and it shows up. press send. and boom its dialing. Awesome.

11. like many touch screen phones i think a screen protector will be necessary to avoid scratches to this things beautiful large touch screen. i think ghost-armor or phantom skinz will do the job nicely.

My overall impression after walking out of the store is still awesome. The phone is fantastic. If anyone is on the border of trading their droid for an incredible i suggest you go play with one and determine for yourself if you like it or not. I am lucky that my droid is still within its 30 day trial period so i can swap for the incredible for a simple $35 restocking fee.

I hope this helps guys. later.

Night Train

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok so i just got back from a local Verizon store that let me play with a new HTC incredible. my initial judgment is awesome. The manager was very nice and allowed me to play with the device for nearly 45 minutes. ......
Thanks for report. Sounds like something I'll be going down to look at next Thursday for sure.

Angel_Shooter

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I was one of the lucky ones to get my Incredible yesterday, so I've just finished my first 24-hours with the device. My last phone was a BB Storm and the phone before that a Motorola Q (both first gen, so I deserve this Incredible)...

I popped my SD card straight out of my BB and into the Incredible and bingo, photos, videos and music were all sorted out.

Feel free to reply with any specific questions you have.

Wow - my BF has a Storm and is a little anxious about moving over to the Incredible. It took him a LONG time to get used to the Storm (came from an EnV type phone). I'm glad your experience was positive and painless. Maybe this will ease his concerns.

Thanks for your great review!!! Enjoy your Incredible! :)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Ok so i just got back from a local Verizon store that let me play with a new HTC incredible. my initial judgment is awesome. The manager was very nice and allowed me to play with the device for nearly 45 minutes. we then started talking back and forth about the pros and cons of this device compared to the droid.

Nice review! Thanks for putting that together.

Also a great review. The battery life comment has me a little concerned. I hope they release an OEM battery as an accessory ASAP.

Scopic

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site

Phone Arena, for some reason, absolutely despises the design of the Incredible saying it has an "uninspiring design" and has a "somewhat cheap feel". They gave its design a score of 6.5/10 on their review bringing the overall score down to 8.8/10 which is under the Nexus One's 9/10.

A little ridiculous if you ask me. Just because it's light it has to feel cheap?

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Yea i disagree with the claims that the incredible feels cheap. i played with one yesterday and it felt very sold. Its definitely lighter than the droid. but feels well made.

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm back with a report about battery life. Of course this is just one person's experience, so take it for what you will. In three days of heavy use, I have found myself having to charge the Incredible at around 12-hours. I'm thinking that after the newness wears off a little and I stop trying to show everyone I meet the Google Sky app, I will be able to make it through the day on a full charge.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm back with a report about battery life. Of course this is just one person's experience, so take it for what you will. In three days of heavy use, I have found myself having to charge the Incredible at around 12-hours. I'm thinking that after the newness wears off a little and I stop trying to show everyone I meet the Google Sky app, I will be able to make it through the day on a full charge.

I'm hearing mixed reports on battery life, but what you're saying sounds pretty good. Thanks for letting us know.

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

what do you have your brightness and back light timeout set too?

I found that my droid was struggling through a day with moderate use with the brightness on automatic and the timeout set to 1 minute.

i took the brightness off auto, and changed the timeout to 30 seconds and saw a lot more usage time out of the phone.

bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Found the cut and paste function by accident.. In the browser, I tapped on a paragraph (no idea why) and it highlighted the text. From there you can copy to clipboard, search key words from the text, send as link. I'll double check, as I did find this by accident. :D

I also made a clip on my phone of my Pandora use on the device, good sound!

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
what do you have your brightness and back light timeout set too?

I found that my droid was struggling through a day with moderate use with the brightness on automatic and the timeout set to 1 minute.

i took the brightness off auto, and changed the timeout to 30 seconds and saw a lot more usage time out of the phone.

I have my brightness on auto and the timeout at one minute, though I usually lock the screen when I'm done using the phone.

justapps

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I love my Incredible. I got it last Wednesday. The OS is great and I love the Sense interface. I keep mine bare minimum though because I don't like clutter. I really just have my Calendar widget and Google search widget and then I have a few app icons and contact icons.

There are only things that bug me so far. First, the battery life isn't as great as I would like, but it is a new phone and I play with it a lot still. Second, the little red screen at the top of my phone gets lint in it. I don't have a case yet though. Third, the camera protrudes. I have no scratches yet though. I hope to get a screen protector and a case that will lessen my worries.

The phone is fast though and I love it compared to my iPhone 2G.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Man, I want this phone. Especially considering I don't have an upgrade here until December. Gotta win that competition!

Anyways, over a couple years of watching phones come and go, I stay away from Gizmodo reviews. I know this was already touched on in earlier, but they are notoriously biased if it doesn't have an Apple logo on the back. Instead of a review, they generally churn out a rant.

BGR, Engadget, here (of course :D) and many of the other, smaller tech sites give great reviews, as does CNet, who's review is generally more hardware based.