Incredible Review Thread

6s1d9

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
there's something wrong if your Storm is faster than the Incredible.. I've used my gf's Storm 1 before.. my Incredible is 10 times faster then her Storm.

Yeah I had to update Google Maps too this morning.. but I was underground on a subway and wasn't even on 3G and it updated it in about 2 min or so (3mb file it said)

Actually It did improve. I walked over to my brothers house (about 300 yards away) and for some reason the more I used the Browser there the better it seemed. I officially retract my statement about the Storm being faster. And I did get it on my home routers network and it just flys! Fastest browser I've ever seen!

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Got my HTC Incredible today! It was an easy swap for the most part. At first they werent going to let me do it because i didnt have the box from my Droid. (after cutting out the label for the rebate, i figured it was garbage so i tossed it) WOOPS!

I talked with the manager and he did me a favor and swapped my droid for the incredible no problem. Ive been playing with it for the past hour, getting all my apps and icons set up how i like them. Im liking the sense UI. Friend stream is cool and the favorites widget is nice as well. Ill be sure to post more of my findings as i learn the phone even more.

thevoiceless

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who answered my questions. A bit of clarification about the dictionary: I see it's possible to add words, but is it possible to remove them later on? Of the few things my old Sony Ericsson phone could do, that was actually one that I found really useful.

I did get to play with an Incredible today at a Best Buy store, so I can say a little bit about it just from the few minutes I had:

Yes, the phone is lighter than you'd probably expect it to be, but it's not even close to feeling cheap or "too light". In fact, the phone feels awesome! I didn't get the "cheap" feeling that some people have mentioned, noting seemed loose or creaky, and the weight it did have was evenly distributed. Nothing felt out of place, but the device I was using did have a screen protector so it felt a little weird. Also, the ridged back is way less noticeable in person than in the pictures, and it's actually wonderful to hold compared to a flat surface. The phone is surprisingly thin, both in the hand and just looking at it, and it's way more apparent when you see the phone in real life compared to the pictures. I originally thought the stylized back cover would be a bad idea, but after seeing it in person I'm of the opposite opinion. The capacitive buttons might as well be physical because they responded perfectly, haptic feedback and all, as well as being evenly and brightly lit. The optical trackpad threw me off at first, simply because of the lack of physical movement. I accidentally brushed it once or twice in the first 30 seconds of handling the phone, but once you realize it's there it's pretty much the same as having a trackball. I'm pretty sure I saw where the notification light is (up next to the earpiece) but the unit was just for playing around with so I didn't see it in action or if there are multiple colors.
All in all, an amazingly sexy device, something you MUST see in person to really appreciate. Pictures definitely don't do it justice.

EDIT: I did get to mess with the camera a bit, and it's pretty nice from what I could tell in-store. One thing that I didn't have time to mess with was the tap-to-focus functionality; it worked perfectly, but the camera would take a picture immediately after focusing instead of waiting for the button to be pressed. This was only quirky in that it means you don't really get to preview the shot after focusing without taking a picture. Again, this might be configurable, I just didn't get to mess with it too much.

Last edited:

piperp

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine but I've barely had time to play with it. I will say that I am already loving it. The great thing about this is that there is so much I can customize so I really just want to sit down with it by myself and change everything to suit my preferences.

I can't wait for the weekend and to start downloading apps.

bulldogmoe7

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
got mine yesterday around 1pm and have not put it down yet. I LOVE THIS PHONE. its fast its awesome. its smooth. it feels great in the hand. starting to get use to the typing on it. the apps for this far exceed BB. i came from a BB curve 8330. to me that phone is ancient now.

love my incredible!!!

anon(1451618)

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Going from Blackberry Tour to Incredible owned for 6 hours now review!

Hello all to all new and experienced android central members!
I am a long time blackberry user and am just now trying out my first android OS device, the HTC DROID incredible.
Let me first start off by saying that I have owned the blackberry 8830, Storm 1, and just recently the Tour. I had used blackberry for years, but recently started to grow weary of them after using the SLOW storm for a year and having to use a Tour with a crappy trackball for another 10 months. (Got replaced twice)

I started looking into the Droids once the Motorola Droid came out and I saw how snappy and quick their O.S. looked. Today I was able to find a store about 30 miles from where I live in Ohio that still had some Droid Incredible's in stock.
Since picking up the phone a few hours ago, here are the pro's and con's....

PROS: Fastest phone I have ever used.
O.S. is brilliant and especially love the live wallpapers.
I have gmail and my work exchange email set up and both are working perfectly.
The amount of apps is amazing compared to blackberry, so far I have downloaded NFL Live (can get on blackberry), sportstap, fandango, google sky map, sticky note app, and lots of other small ones.
I absolutely love HTC sense, so far my home screens are work mail, weather, calendar, sportstap, facebook, favorite friends, and music/google search.
Browser is so much more faster than any other phone I've used.
Overall a very nice, brilliant, sleek, and incredible :D:) phone so far!

CONS: (Note: these probally aren't cons, but just the fact that I am new to android OS, so I haven't figured out how to do it yet. If you know how to fix these problems please let me know!

Under picture albums I see no way to create my own personal albums to add pictures too.
Under my contacts/sending text messages it has all my gmail/facebook friends show up, where half these people I don't need their numbers at all.... if possible I would just like to have the custom contacts that I put in my self.

The city ID app that came with the phone and is only a subscription.... I went into settings to delete it, and there's no uninstall option for it!

Well once again I'm happy to be joining the droid community and any helps/tips are welcome.
Thanks all,
Bret

FreezingD

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
My thoughts, the good the bad the ugly

My thoughts after 3 days of use:

Background: This is my first android phone, but I've played with my friend's Moto DROID quite a bit. I was waiting on the N1, but I jumped on this as soon as it was announced. I am a VZW customer, they are the only carrier whos towers reach my house (out in the middle of nowhere)

THE GOOD

- Sense is good, no... very good. Love the multiple home screens and how quick it is to jump from one to the other.
- Speed of this phone is truly Incredible. No other word for it. You wait on nothing moving around. Pinch zoom is fast. Everything is fast.
- Love the feel of this phone. Not too big, not too small. Just right in my hands. Love that I can place it on my car seat and it does not slide around.
- The 8 MP camera is very very good. Some nice photo effects are also bundled.
- AMOLED screen is beautiful. Colors are bright, sharp and brilliant.

THE BAD (ok... not really bad, just annoying)

- Taking the back cover off is quite a chore. I keep hitting the power button by mistake. I'm also afraid I'm going to drop the phone while I'm doing this.
- Battery life is OK. An after-market 1750 mA battery is definitely on my list.
- I wish I could listen to FM without headphones.
- Direct sunlight is a problem, but no more so than my old Samsung phone.
- Don't like how the phone lense protrudes out the back of the phone. I worry it will become scratched. So I generally sit the phone down on a piece of paper or something soft.

THE UGLY

- VZW needs to fix the rebooting problem for their users in central NC. I don't place any blame on HTC for this. But my guess is that VZW will force HTC to make a software fix.

In conclusion: I would not trade this phone for any other phone on the market right now. The raw speed of this phone makes me believe it will not become obsolete for quite a while either.

RobbyRob

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Week 1 with the Incredible

OK so I thought since most people are asking the same questions I will give a little insight to the small things I am noticing after switching from the DROID.

1. Sense UI: I don't know how anyone could dislike this (unless your not into social networking) but my experience has been the smoothest of any device (including the Nexus One) I have had. Everything seems to be a lot more organized and everything integrates with each other. Well everyone has it now so lets jump off this one.

2. Ringtone fade: I don't know if this is supposed to happen, but I like it! When my phone is ringing and I run to pick it up the ringtone fades to barley noticeable. This was a nice discovery when I forgot to put my ringtone on silence in a meeting where my phone was sitting on the table.

3. Pure speed: I have tired Live Wallpapers on the DROID and Nexus One. Both those devices seemed to be pretty laggy on the home screen when live wallpapers was running. But the incredible I had Slacker, the browser (with farmville open on flash), and Live wallpapers running and was still able to answer a call and scroll through my home screens with no lag to see what this chick was talking about on the friend stream widget.

4. Browser: Feels like the iPhone... Enough said.

The only thing I would like to see is improved text selection because I cant see through my finger HTC/Google! How am i supposed to know what I am selecting if my finger is not transparent! Sorry, had to get that out.

There are a lot of other little things that make this a great tool for someone with a active life. And for you iPhone fanboys (yes I use to sport a iPhone) that say no one will ever conquer the Apple empire I think HTC has already done so.

Strygun

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
2. Ringtone fade: I don't know if this is supposed to happen, but I like it! When my phone is ringing and I run to pick it up the ringtone fades to barley noticeable. This was a nice discovery when I forgot to put my ringtone on silence in a meeting where my phone was sitting on the table.

By "week 1," you mean the first 3.5 days, right? :)

As for this Ringtone fade, yes, that is a feature and is supposed to do that. It can be disabled in the Sound/display settings if you want. Also, since you mentioned that your phone was on the table in a meeting, you should also look at the other built-in feature in the phone. If the phone is lying flat on a surface and the phone rings, you can simply flip it over to silence the ring and reject the call. :)

lawdawg#AC

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
By "week 1," you mean the first 3.5 days, right? :)

As for this Ringtone fade, yes, that is a feature and is supposed to do that. It can be disabled in the Sound/display settings if you want. Also, since you mentioned that your phone was on the table in a meeting, you should also look at the other built-in feature in the phone. If the phone is lying flat on a surface and the phone rings, you can simply flip it over to silence the ring and reject the call. :)

THAT is cool. :D

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
What I find humorous about a lot of the things people like (particularly Sense UI), is that HTC first started developing this for Windows Mobile when they launched the HTC Touch a few years back (it was known as TouchFlo back then). With each new phone release, they introduce the next version of their UI and eventually ported it to Android. The fading ringer & flipping over the phone to silence ringer was first seen on the TP2. Without HTC's historical efforts of trying to cover up WM, we might not be here today ;)

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
What I find humorous about a lot of the things people like (particularly Sense UI), is that HTC first started developing this for Windows Mobile when they launched the HTC Touch a few years back (it was known as TouchFlo back then). With each new phone release, they introduce the next version of their UI and eventually ported it to Android. The fading ringer & flipping over the phone to silence ringer was first seen on the TP2. Without HTC's historical efforts of trying to cover up WM, we might not be here today ;)

Awww...now you're bringing back some memories.... some girl with big boobs now has my Sprint Touch.... but yeah, swiping up from the bottom of the screen brought up the "cube", it was cute, I never used it, but back then, that was some serious UI flashyness!

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
My full day working with my Incredible i had it on from 9am until midnight. Using it on and off to send texts, emails, browse the internet, and play games, when i went to plug it in i had 50% battery left.

I think the battery life is fine on this device.

ptb127

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I use it very heavily and I have to re-charge it by 3pm (I usually charge it every night and it's full when I wake up and take it off the charger before I go to work at 640am)

I came from an iPhone and use it just as heavily and never had a problem like this..

RobbyRob

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Really? Mine is always doing something at work... And I can go from 5am where I use it while I run with Slacker, Then I use it for Slacker for the better part of the day while I am at my desk while I keep up with all my social networking and personal email, come home and use it for more stuff... Well you get the point... But the bar is still green by the end of the day... Maybe you got a bad phone?

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
It has now been four full days and maybe by tomorrow i will be able to stop playing with this thing and actually go to work. My first "smartphone" was a Palmphone circe 1997. It was a ridiculous thing that fit on top of a Palm Pilot and turned it into a phone. Weighed a ton, was to big for any normal pockets but I could dial from my contacts and didn't have to carry two devices. Thank goodness the Treo came out a few months later. Two Treo's, two Win Mobile HTC's and a Storm 1 later I have finally got what I was looking for 13 years ago. The Incredible is indeed! Once I got my email issue resolved, K9 does the trick and will push smtp addresses I have absolutely nothing but raves. I was a very happy Storm 1 user. Other then the ridiculous browser speed I had no problems and was content that the device did what I wanted it to do. I never had to exchange one and never once called support or went to the VZW store for help. I am not a novice but not a technogeek either.

I could wax on about the Incredible but it has all been said. Speed, screen brilliance, ease of use and just plain fun. Add the Verizon silicon case and you will get the heft and solid feel, with very little added dimension the BB's have. One final word, the Washington Post consumer electronics guru reviewed the Incredible in today's paper. If you are having trouble deciding whether or not to go Incredible keep in mind this guy is as critical as they come. It is the most positive review he has ever written, by his own admission.

bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I rather enjoy my new device. Had no problem setting up, contacts were a breeze, and i'm using shape writer keyboard to type this post . :)