Fascinate lag. Answers sought.

Syntaxx

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Prior to purchasing this phone, it was my understanding that the hardware involved was pretty cutting edge (read: powerful.) Going into my ownership experience I had a certain expectation that is not being fulfilled currently.
Interface mods I'm using:
Launcherpro (plus)
ATK
no live wallpaper
Ultralinx icons for LP
NoLed
Weather and toggle (just the weather widget, skinned)
Tajm Clock widget

My fascinate lags constantly. Sometimes the lags are subtle, but sometimes not. These lags occur in normal operation. I'm not talking about gaming lag. An example of what I think is an excessive lag follows:

I use LauncherPro. When I go to change a shortcut in my dock, I long press, select "change shortcut" from the menu, then the next menu pops up where I can select the type of shortcut. If I pick "applications" from the list, sometimes it takes 4-6 seconds for a list of apps to even show up. I'm looking at a totally black screen for that time.

Other instances of lag are less pronounced, but still more than I think should be apparent in this device. If I'm in an app or game and I hit my home button, sometimes nothing happens for a few seconds (other than the capacitive buttons lighting up), so I hit home again. By the time the command goes through, I've been sent to my home screen where the second press goes into effect and I'm in the launcher pro screen where you can edit screens from a distance.

Most transitions in the phone are choppy. Whether it's going from an app to home, or home to an app, the animations are more often than not laggy. Sometimes they're smooth as butter, but that's generally the exception, not the rule.

Hopefully you're getting the picture by now. If somebody can explain why this is happening (and I believe it's a widespread pattern of behavior with this phone,) I would appreciate it. Are there things I can do to alleviate whatever the system is hanging up on? I'm almost to the point where I'd like to exchange this for another model.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Definitely take it back if you're not happy, but don't get another Samsung!

The performance issue is due to the poor choice of file systems on Samsung's part. The hardware is top notch. Once Voodoo is ported to the Fascinate (hopefully in the next week or two) that should take care of the lag issue. (Search Project Voodoo for more info).

I use mostly the same stuff you use, except for Tjamn and your icons, and I see similar results. If you'd like to wait for Froyo, that should make things significantly better as well.

Syntaxx

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Dont get me wrong, I like this phone. I just cant stand the lag. I cant see myself having a problem waiting for froyo if it fixes the lag in a significant way. I'll check out this project voodoo too to see how promising it looks.

Otherwise, I think I may swap for a DX and call it a day. That is unless the X has similar problems.

abowlofsoda

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
When creating a shortcut you can just long press apps from your app drawer and they appear on your homescreens.

And thanks for the tip Cory about deleting widgets from the TW homescreen. That made mine all the more zippy.

rebel2010

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I get same results....and I don't use any ATK...also my TW Launcher irons and widgets have been cleared for a ling time. Can't wait for voodoo....

Syntaxx

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Back when I made the jump to LP, I made sure to remove any widgets and even any extra screens in touchwiz.

I dropped ATK. It never seemed to make much of a difference, other than giving me a warm fuzzy every time I saw it say "9 apps killed." :p