Can I be unlocked and rooted and still get OTA updates?

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to know if it's possible to be unlocked and rooted but yet still be able to download and install OTA updates.

Thanks!

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
yes, but I believe there's a chance you could lose root after an OTA so either wait to see if that's confirmed or be prepared to re-root if need be.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
You will probably lose root most of the time. A much easier method is just to wait until later in the day when someone releases a rooted version of the update, and then just flash that

Ace4

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I unlocked & rooted mine as soon as I got it, and upon rebooting was prompted to install 4.02. I lost root after installing 4.02.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Noob question alert!

Would I flash it with fastboot command?

If you wanted to lose all your data, yes. This process specifically is done by flashing a zip through recovery, the same way that a normal OTA installs, so that you retain all your old data.

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
So I certainly wouldn't want to lose my data when flashing 4.0.3 or any future OS update. I'm going to need to do some reading on how to use the stock recovery on the Nexus. I used to use CWM on my Captivate. Are there pluses and minuses for using CWM instead of stock recovery?

Thanks!

reactortrip

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So if we OTA and lose root, but already have boot unlocked, if we reroot using the superboot method will data be lost again?

So no way to OTA and not lose data? Just have to use clockwork and flash a rooted version to keep data?

Ace4

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
So if we OTA and lose root, but already have boot unlocked, if we reroot using the superboot method will data be lost again?

So no way to OTA and not lose data? Just have to use clockwork and flash a rooted version to keep data?
I unlocked my bootloader and rooted as soon as I got home with my phone. Later that day I let it install the OTA update to 4.02, and lost root. Just re-ran the last step (in the sticky in this forum) to root the phone, and I have root back, no data lost. Make sure you only run the batch file for root, not the unlock command. Only the bootloader unlock portion wipes the phone.

stormed

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Custom rom devs are very quick to adapt new updates. Actually, I think custom roms get the updates added quicker than OTA (sometimes)

reactortrip

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I unlocked my bootloader and rooted as soon as I got home with my phone. Later that day I let it install the OTA update to 4.02, and lost root. Just re-ran the last step (in the sticky in this forum) to root the phone, and I have root back, no data lost. Make sure you only run the batch file for root, not the unlock command. Only the bootloader unlock portion wipes the phone.

That's what I thought, as long as you didn't rerun the bootloader part, you were good to go with OTA.

Custom rom devs are very quick to adapt new updates. Actually, I think custom roms get the updates added quicker than OTA (sometimes)

I have had as much pros as cons with most custom roms. I have pretty much tried to stick to ones that kill off the bloatware and touch nothing else nowadays.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

No. You probably won't lose data just by rerooting. Only lose everything when you unlock the bootloader. When you re root you would skip the bootloader unlocking step.
But to quote from the book of Exasperated Ch. 19, vs 12. "Blessed are they who hath made backups, for they shall have peace. "

Kdawg8

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I unlocked and rooted my phone before getting the 4.0.2 update, now when I'm prompted to update OTA it will begin updating and then I get the android error screen and the phone is stuck. How do I get the OTA to work? Thanks

901djdre

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
i rooted my droid razr as soon as i got it i recieved the update an downlded it last nite but i havnt insta
installed it cus i dnt wanna lose root access anyone kno wat i should do

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
So I certainly wouldn't want to lose my data when flashing 4.0.3 or any future OS update. I'm going to need to do some reading on how to use the stock recovery on the Nexus. I used to use CWM on my Captivate. Are there pluses and minuses for using CWM instead of stock recovery?

Thanks!
Stock recovery really can't do anything. CWM is what you use to flash things, make + restore backups, etc.

No, data will not be lost again if you OTA

I unlocked and rooted my phone before getting the 4.0.2 update, now when I'm prompted to update OTA it will begin updating and then I get the android error screen and the phone is stuck. How do I get the OTA to work? Thanks
When you root, you're basically saying that you don't want to continue to get OTAs. They don't always work. Just flash a rooted version of the update.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify - I am unlocked but rooted running stock 4.0.2. Will I receive the OTA update or will I need to unroot to receive it OTA?

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
i'm not 100%, but pretty sure you will receive the OTA for 4.0.4.

like others have mentioned, tho, you will lose root if you accept the OTA. the easiest thing to do is install Voodoo Root Keeper from the market. it is designed to help you keep root even after installing an OTA.

Sean20

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Im new to android and i rooted last night (don't have a clue why as i don't even know what it does) i have a galaxy nexus and was wondering will i still be able to get OTA updates for Jelly Bean I've changed nothing on the phone the only thing thats changed is when you turn the phone on theres a little unlocked icon under the google sign