Keep the Nexus or take the free razr Maxx?

gecko

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So I have been on the VZW Nexus since its release date, and while it was a huge learning curve, I cant say I really dislike it for any reason other than battery.
I have already bought the extended life NFC battery and Im using juice defender ultimate and still killing a battery in way less than a day doing normal stuff. no WIFI or hotspot.

I have an offer on the table to take a brand new razr maxx (with blank sim card) and just sell my G-NEX on the open market. and give my friend the profit from the nex.

what would you do?

Im not rooted, but love ICS. I know its only about 3 weeks away on the razr.

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
If you friend will let you......use the Maxx for a week before you decide, then you know what phone best suits you. That way no blind decisions.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, the razr maxx has a removable battery. It's the original razr that doesn't.

No, you are mistaken. They are both identical and have fixed, sealed batteries. Well, it IS technically possible to dismantle the phone and remove the battery but it is designed to be a sealed, non-user-accessible item.

I would personally do the swap for a Maxx if the RF performance, battery life, and build quality of the Gznex bother or disturb you. Otherwise, might as well stick with the newer OS and the bigger 720p screen of the GNex.

Reactions: quikric

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
My fiance switched to the Maxx after a few months of replacing her GNex constantly. She absolutely loves it. I have played with it quite a bit over the last month, so i've had a whole lot of time to compare the two.

What I personally took from my experiences are:

Pros:
-The more minimal power consumption (and smart actions) make the already big battery a beast, she has yet to run it all the way down in a day. (she's a very big texter and game player)
-Signal is amazing. In certain areas she/I had little or no signal with a GNex, she has mainly has four bars now with her Razr.
-Noise cancelling is outstanding.
-Build Quality, it just feels solid.

Cons:
-Bloatware
-Bloatware (the size is so nice, I listed it twice)
-Motoblur
-The phone feels more choppy.
-The screen isn't quite up to the GNex quality
-Non-removable battery, although there is a button-combo reset.
-Gingerbread
-Slow charge time, as one would expect from that big of a battery.

Notes:
I haven't had a chance to try out Webtop or any of the mounts, so I have no opinion there.
I also don't live within 200 miles of 4g so that could be relevant to my findings.

Keep in mind, this is just my experience and opinions alone. I'm sure others can/will argue several points.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I would LOVE to trade my nexus for the maxx, seriously. I am jealous.

craigslist is your friend.

I like the idea about usign it for a week and seeing if you can deal. i would have a hard time going back to a gingerbread phone after using ICS.

as for the razr ICS update in 3 weeks...dont hold your breath. i have dealt with the Motorola update and i have learned to just overlook anything in the forums and believe it when the update happens. (see Droid X GB update)

and i would say just get another battery. swap it in when you need to. would take like 30 seconds from start to finish.
juice defender may be doing more harm than good.
root and ROM. i easily got though an entire day with my stock battery. (entire day for me = 7am-12pm)

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I own both and the RAZR MAXX is a much better experience than the GN. I highly recommend the RAZR MAXX over the GN. Now the GN may be a better phone once there is an update and the current bugs are fixed.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I would rather not have a phone I can't do a battery pull on. I also prefer to have 2 batteries one always on a charger ready for use. I can't stand being tethered to an outlet or external battery.

I am hoping this case will fix my battery issues:

New 2200mAh Power Back Case External Battery f Samsung Galaxy Nexus Prime i9250 | eBay

What the heck is that, a battery built into the case? If it is, would your phone use both batteries? Is that even for the Verizon GN? A little confused here.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
What the heck is that? It looks like it would make the phone huge

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It adds less thickness than the 3800mAh extended battery does without a case and nets u over 4000mAh. On paper is seems great IMO but we will see how the real world experience is.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
So I have been on the VZW Nexus since its release date, and while it was a huge learning curve, I cant say I really dislike it for any reason other than battery.
I have already bought the extended life NFC battery and Im using juice defender ultimate and still killing a battery in way less than a day doing normal stuff. no WIFI or hotspot.

I have an offer on the table to take a brand new razr maxx (with blank sim card) and just sell my G-NEX on the open market. and give my friend the profit from the nex.

what would you do?

Im not rooted, but love ICS. I know its only about 3 weeks away on the razr.

Keep the GN. If you are a forum addict, this forum is the best. Lotsa new threads and posts. Really entertaining.
Seen the maxx forum? Its dead in there. Can see some tumbleweeds rolling around. A new thread every other day and new posts every 12 hours? Nah.

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I vote for keep the Nexus

Played around with a MAXX for a week and was not impressed (with the interface or the screen, loved the battery)

I also dislike the way Motorola handles its business (Razr to Razr MAXX to Razr Developer's Edition to Razr HD, even a moron like me could guess a Razr MAXX HD is en route)

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I'd take the MAXX in a heartbeat if it had a better screen and better design. Mostly better screen. The battery life on that thing makes me so jealous.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Keep the GN. If you are a forum addict, this forum is the best. Lotsa new threads and posts. Really entertaining.
Seen the maxx forum? Its dead in there. Can see some tumbleweeds rolling around. A new thread every other day and new posts every 12 hours? Nah.

Development and support is way better for the nexus. It gets great battery life once you take the unlock/root plunge.

Dropped from LiquidNexus1.35 via Xparent Tapatalk2