Newest version Google wallet?

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I also struggled with this update but this is what I did. I have a Nexus 7, so I first updated to the new version of Wallet on the N7. Then I made a backup of the apk and saved it to my Google Drive account. Next I launched Google Drive from my GNex and selected the Google Wallet apk. This was technically a sideload method of installing the app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

SgtMijo

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
open the My Apps tab in the playstore from your phone. Swift finger left and the screen to the right will show up showing ALL apps. Scroll thru this list and find google wallet, it will let you update from there. Mine was wayyyyyyy at the damn bottom lol

I think the reason we cant see it is because its an app Verizon didnt want to have us GNEX users have and blocked it from the store. With yesterdays ruling against them for doing just that, maybe it will appear soon :D

This worked for me.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Funny enough, I was able to install wallet on my GNex just fine by going through the browser version of the Play Store. Unfortunately my secure element is screwed because I forgot to reset wallet before flashing a new ROM or I think I backed it up/restored it with titanium backup. Oh well, no Google Wallet for me at least on this iteration of Nexux .

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Funny enough, I was able to install wallet on my GNex just fine by going through the browser version of the Play Store. Unfortunately my secure element is screwed because I forgot to reset wallet before flashing a new ROM or I think I backed it up/restored it with titanium backup. Oh well, no Google Wallet for me at least on this iteration of Nexux .
. I never reset my wallet from the first apk on stock to my first job ROM to my current job ROM. I updated wallet from my phone and it works great. Is this reset of the app suggested when flashing?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
. I never reset my wallet from the first apk on stock to my first job ROM to my current job ROM. I updated wallet from my phone and it works great. Is this reset of the app suggested when flashing?

If you are doing a full wipe then absolutely yes, reset it first, then set it up again after. The few seconds the process takes is worth it when you're risking borking it for good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tour1sm0

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I have been scouring threads for help on getting Google Wallet working (latest version). Here is my story, as briefly as possible:

Equipment: GSM Galaxy Nexus, on SFR (France)

Early July: I successfully rooted my phone and installed the apk of Google Wallet (at that time) by placing in the system/app folder. Launched it and everything worked fine. Being in Europe, I never had a chance to test it out, but I believe it would have worked fine, as there was no bugginess or strange messages. My $10 prepaid card also showed up and I got the welcome email.

Mid July: I was running stock ICS, and received (and successfully installed) stock JB.

Early Aug: I see that Google Wallet is now updated (I think the new version is 1.5), so here is what I did:

1) Launched Google Wallet
Hit menu button> Settings> Reset Google Wallet
Everything worked, i.e. reset took effect, and I got another "Welcome" email

2) Went to "All Apps" section (past the "Installed" section) of My Apps in the Play store, hit Update (I was connected via my VPN so it thought I was in the US, just in case Europeans were not allowed). Update took fine, i.e. no strange messages during install.

3) When I launch Google Wallet, I get the immediate screen saying: "Unfortunately, Google Wallet has not yet been certified in your country or on your device/carrier". All I can do is hit OK and then it takes me back to the app drawer. I cannot get past that screen.

4) Thinking I should perhaps try to remove the apk and try again, I navigated using file browser to the system/app folder and found the original APK that I put there (from early July). When I tried to delete, it says that I have read only access to that folder. Hmmmmm.....?

I believe now that I lost root access after the JB update. Does that make sense? If yes, can someone give me a dead simple guide to re-rooting for stock JB?

Once I am rooted, what should I do about Google Wallet? Delete the APK from the system/app folder first? Sideload the new APK by putting it in the same location? Since my update seemed to go fine, I am afraid I will get the same "Unfortunately, ...." message.

Thanks to all in advance!

xFORTRESSx

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I went to the Play Store, looked it up, hit install to my Nexus and it worked.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
open the My Apps tab in the playstore from your phone. Swift finger left and the screen to the right will show up showing ALL apps. Scroll thru this list and find google wallet, it will let you update from there. Mine was wayyyyyyy at the damn bottom lol

It worked. I didn't think it was possible. Glad I didn't have to go some convoluted route to update.

My face: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKy3qcbwnA0

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
You can also do it on the Wallet website.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You should do it on your phone. That way it clears Wallet's data out of your NFC chip's secure element. Not having that data cleared out is what causes the infamous permanent borking of Wallet which is still unfixable.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You should do it on your phone. That way it clears Wallet's data out of your NFC chip's secure element. Not having that data cleared out is what causes the infamous permanent borking of Wallet which is still unfixable.

Not anymore. The update with wallet was specifically designed to avoid it.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Not anymore. The update with wallet was specifically designed to avoid it.

I'm not sure that's true. I've read it in a few posts, and I know it was intended to keep more sensitive data on Google's servers versus on your phone, though I haven't seen anything that verifies that it does not use the secure element on your NFC chip and therefore need you to clear that data out before wiping the device. Not saying you are wrong, but if you have anything reliable to back that up I would love a link.

Also personal experience of my own seems to confirm that the secure element is still in play and if its been used without resetting wallet before, the new updated app will still not work.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure that's true. I've read it in a few posts, and I know it was intended to keep more sensitive data on Google's servers versus on your phone, though I haven't seen anything that verifies that it does not use the secure element on your NFC chip and therefore need you to clear that data out before wiping the device. Not saying you are wrong, but if you have anything reliable to back that up I would love a link.

Also personal experience of my own seems to confirm that the secure element is still in play and if its been used without resetting wallet before, the new updated app will still not work.

It keeps ALL data on googles servers. Wallet is now 100% cloud based. For all intents and purposes, the secure element as a part of wallet is dead.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/08/01/google-wallet-all-credit-debit-cards/

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It keeps ALL data on googles servers. Wallet is now 100% cloud based. For all intents and purposes, the secure element as a part of wallet is dead.

Google Wallet’s Huge Upgrade Adds Support For All Credit/Debit Cards, Remote Disable Feature | TechCrunch

Again, that article doesn't back up that claim that the secure element usage on the phone is dead, in fact, it reaffirms the fact that it is still used:

A wallet ID (virtual card number) is stored in the secure storage area of the phone, and this is used to facilitate transactions at the point of sale.

.. Which makes perfect sense, as this is how the NFC chip is used in conjunction with Wallet, and further explains why even the new version of Wallet still does not work for those who have borked Wallet in the past by not resetting from within the app before performing a factory reset. Just saying I think you, understandably, misunderstood the information. While specific credit/debit card information storage has been changed to be done via Google's severs only, the app itself still uses the secure element component of the NFC chip to identify itself and store that information. Again, just ask anyone who previously borked the old version of Wallet, and the recently updated version still will not function as it needs to access that secure element which is, as we've said, borked still.

So I still strongly recommend anyone performing a factory reset first open Wallet and Reset it from within the app to remove that information from the secure element. At the end of the day, this takes about 5 seconds.. and I'd rather people perform a 5 second procedure than suffer the consequence of not being able to use Wallet on this phone again because they were that lazy or misinformed :)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Again, that article doesn't back up that claim that the secure element usage on the phone is dead, in fact, it reaffirms the fact that it is still used:

.. Which makes perfect sense, as this is how the NFC chip is used in conjunction with Wallet, and further explains why even the new version of Wallet still does not work for those who have borked Wallet in the past by not resetting from within the app before performing a factory reset. Just saying I think you, understandably, misunderstood the information. While specific credit/debit card information storage has been changed to be done via Google's severs only, the app itself still uses the secure element component of the NFC chip to identify itself and store that information. Again, just ask anyone who previously borked the old version of Wallet, and the recently updated version still will not function as it needs to access that secure element which is, as we've said, borked still.

So I still strongly recommend anyone performing a factory reset first open Wallet and Reset it from within the app to remove that information from the secure element. At the end of the day, this takes about 5 seconds.. and I'd rather people perform a 5 second procedure than suffer the consequence of not being able to use Wallet on this phone again because they were that lazy or misinformed :)

You misunderstand. Secure storage is not the secure element. They're two separate things. All android phones have secure storage areas of their phone where things like DRM keys, etc are stored, and that is where this information is stored. Google is very careful about their usage of terms, so by calling it secure storage and not the secure element, you know they're not talking about the same thing.

That is also how they have launched the remote reset feature. That would not at all be possible if the secure element was still being used. (any interaction like that with the handset will require that it be done on device and not remotely)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
You misunderstand. Secure storage is not the secure element. They're two separate things. All android phones have secure storage areas of their phone where things like DRM keys, etc are stored, and that is where this information is stored. Google is very careful about their usage of terms, so by calling it secure storage and not the secure element, you know they're not talking about the same thing.

That is also how they have launched the remote reset feature. That would not at all be possible if the secure element was still being used. (any interaction like that with the handset will require that it be done on device and not remotely)

Again... I believe you are misunderstanding, and rather than get too technical in their explanation I believe they did, in fact, use terms interchangeably. I've already explained twice why the secure element of the NFC chip is still used by Wallet, and why anyone performing a factory reset should first reset from within the app. It's not worth debating for the sake of debating any further, as my experience from my own device and from working with helping others has provided me enough justification for what I've advised, and this one article from "techcrunch" with an out-of-context quote is not going to dissuade me, nor should it be a cause for us to debate this any further. I am just providing information for everyone's best interest and to ensure that nobody runs into issues following unproven / untested advice.