Leaving Verizon for Straight Talk

crawlman110

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know if I can bring my Verizon Galaxy Nexus to Straight Talk and use one of there Sim cards and keep the number I have. $45 a month is much better then $90.

ssiebor14

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
If the phone has a sum card most newer straight talk phones don't have a sim but I switch from Verizon to virgin mobile

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Android Central Forums

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You can take your Verizon phone to page plus. No LTE, only 3g, but cheaper than Verizon yet same reception areas.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Colvin99

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Straight Talks sim cards are GSM only--which means they run on AT&T's network. Cool that you can do that, but in our area you have to have Verizon to pick up decent cell coverage. If you're not too picky about what phone/coverage you get than you could go with Straight Talk's Samsung S950C Galaxy S Straight Talk Samsung S950C Galaxy S Prepaid Cell Phone: Cell Phones : Walmart.com available only in WalMart. It has a 4" screen, Gingerbread, and tolerable specs. I bought my sister Straight Talk's Samsung Galaxy Proclaim Purchase the Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Phone, Proclaim Prepaid for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better. available for online ordering, but with a smaller screen. There is also currently the LG Zip, but it's memory is terribly small--too small to use with more than two or three modern apps. Setting up the Proclaim for my sister I was able to install a launcher to hide the bloatware, and any modern app that I wanted too (I replaced the stock launcher, camera, dialer, calendar, gallery, email app, news app, calculator, etc... installed a jellybean icon pack theme, and it ended up looking for all the world like it was a ICS/Jellybean phone!)

So, basically you have the choice of paying Verizon for a modern featured phone, swapping to Straight Talk and AT&T with whatever unlocked phone you want with their sim card plan, or going with an older Android/Verizon/Straighttalk.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I just switched to ST from Verizon. I technically still have Verizon, but sold my gnex and now use an att note 2 on straight talk's network.
Assuming my data consumption is ok I'll be staying with prepaid. Don't short yourself on getting a nice phone. With all the money you'll be saving you should have whatever phone you want.
Before you ditch Verizon, you should try the new service. Test coverage and see if you can live with the limited data (I have unlimited with Verizon). If you're good sell the Nexus, if not sell the other one. It's the best way to try this sort of thing, and I'd hate to see you screw yourself out of decent coverage trying to save a buck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Colvin99

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I wish we got good at&t around here, that's exactly what I'd do!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I just switched to ST from Verizon. I technically still have Verizon, but sold my gnex and now use an att note 2 on straight talk's network.
Assuming my data consumption is ok I'll be staying with prepaid. Don't short yourself on getting a nice phone. With all the money you'll be saving you should have whatever phone you want.
Before you ditch Verizon, you should try the new service. Test coverage and see if you can live with the limited data (I have unlimited with Verizon). If you're good sell the Nexus, if not sell the other one. It's the best way to try this sort of thing, and I'd hate to see you screw yourself out of decent coverage trying to save a buck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

I did exactly that. Got the Nexus 4 and tried out straight talk. Got throttled in less than three weeks! Decided it wasn't for me. Sold the N4 (wish I'd held on to it...).

I, too, have unlimited data on Verizon.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Straight Talks sim cards are GSM only--which means they run on AT&T's network. Cool that you can do that, but in our area you have to have Verizon to pick up decent cell coverage. If you're not too picky about what phone/coverage you get than you could go with Straight Talk's Samsung S950C Galaxy S Straight Talk Samsung S950C Galaxy S Prepaid Cell Phone: Cell Phones : Walmart.com available only in WalMart. It has a 4" screen, Gingerbread, and tolerable specs. I bought my sister Straight Talk's Samsung Galaxy Proclaim Purchase the Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Phone, Proclaim Prepaid for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better. available for online ordering, but with a smaller screen. There is also currently the LG Zip, but it's memory is terribly small--too small to use with more than two or three modern apps. Setting up the Proclaim for my sister I was able to install a launcher to hide the bloatware, and any modern app that I wanted too (I replaced the stock launcher, camera, dialer, calendar, gallery, email app, news app, calculator, etc... installed a jellybean icon pack theme, and it ended up looking for all the world like it was a ICS/Jellybean phone!)

So, basically you have the choice of paying Verizon for a modern featured phone, swapping to Straight Talk and AT&T with whatever unlocked phone you want with their sim card plan, or going with an older Android/Verizon/Straighttalk.

He can also sell his Verizon Galaxy Nexus and buy a GSM Galaxy Nexus and use it on Straight Talk and get HSPA+. I believe Straight Talk uses both AT&T & T-Mobile. GSM Galaxy Nexus are pretty cheap on Ebay since the Nexus 4 came out.

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I was at Walmart around Christmas. They had a Straight Talk display with phones and plans for the Big Four, Verizon, ATT, Sprint and T-Mobile. I don't know if they have sims for Verizon, not sure if they use LTE. I assume they're 3G only, but you could set your GNex to CDMA only. It might be worth a look.

Sent from the red headed stepchild of the Nexii.

ahicksof2

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello , I'm new to all this but I do have a few questions...I have had service with verizon for a long time...I had two lines everything unlimited..then around christmas time I added two more lines...my bill went from 262.00 a month to over 1600.00...this is crazy....I have two razar maxx and I'm wanting to know if I can change these to straight talk or another carrier? please someone help!! I have two grandchildren under the age of 2 that live with me and i need a phone.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello , I'm new to all this but I do have a few questions...I have had service with verizon for a long time...I had two lines everything unlimited..then around christmas time I added two more lines...my bill went from 262.00 a month to over 1600.00...this is crazy....I have two razar maxx and I'm wanting to know if I can change these to straight talk or another carrier? please someone help!! I have two grandchildren under the age of 2 that live with me and i need a phone.

No, no Verizon 4g phone can go to prepaid. 1600 seems odd for just two additional lines, I'd call Verizon and see what is up or if their were any overages on the account.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
That won't work. The primary cannot give his or her unlimited plan to anyone else on the account. It goes with that particular phone number.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
That won't work. The primary cannot give his or her unlimited plan to anyone else on the account. It goes with that particular phone number.

He can sell his account. He just can't have the same number.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty