Devoted VZW Gnex user looking for next phone, what would you get?

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
def not considering the htc one. i played with it for a good hour. i couldnt stand it. i was annoyed by the way it feels so delicate in my hands. it felt like it was about to slip at any given moment. someone in a diff thread (or maybe this one?) mentioned about how the volume/power buttons are just not convenient at all, ESP the volume button, i had to keep looking to make sure i was pressing it. not cool at all. when i put my phone down, i expect it to sit and stay still (like any good dog would) but the one just wobbles. cant stand it. yes i know im ripping on the one but im just expressing how picky i am and how i would not go for this phone. its the small things that count for me.

so my next replacement will def be the moto x or the s4. only reason im waiting is bc im on verizon so i want to see what well get with the moto x and if well get to customize it. i also want to see reviews on the X vs the droid ultra/maxx. for some reason i feel like a new phone will be announced in less than 2 months when the new OS is shown. we shall see.

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
OP here, in case anyone is still following this thread I've pre-ordered the Droid Maxx and should have it soon. Just hope it can be as good of a phone as my Gnex has been for as long as its been.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

SuperMarioVT

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
GNexus owner here.. Played with the HTC one today and did not like it at all, on the other hand really liked the MAXX my decision will come down between the MAXX and the G2, currently leaning towards the g2 due to a better camera

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
GNexus owner here.. Played with the HTC one today and did not like it at all, on the other hand really liked the MAXX my decision will come down between the MAXX and the G2, currently leaning towards the g2 due to a better camera

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

The G2 looks pretty sweet. The screen takes up most of the real estate on the front. I am probably holding out for the Note 3 though. Love the bigger 1080p screen along with the high end specs and supposed great battery life.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
finally got a chance to go in store and play with the X and droid maxx.

amazing phones (of course they are compared to my slow gnex) but i really liked the feel of them. the casing on both is really nice to the touch and feels comfortable. software is snappy and fast. i liked the camera wrist flick on the x, it works every time and can be very useful as you take it out of your pocket and by the time u wanna snap, its ready to go unless u turn on the press screen to snap option. honestly i have zero complaints as anything new i touch will blow my phone out of the water but those 2 really stood out for me. i loved the s4 but i dont like tw and even after installing nova, the phone didnt feel "real" to me if that makes sense.

my only issues with the droid maxx/X is that im afraid that theyll come out with a "droid maxx hd" version just like they did with the razr lines within a month or so. as for the x, i feel like they will come out with a newer version of it for when the new os is announced, or something similar. sooo torn with this purchase. i mean i could always sell the phone and make a little bit of a profit if and when a new phone is announced within a month or so.

theres a very good chance im going to purchase the x this week. i will keep informed.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I had the Galaxy Nexus from it's launch day. I'm not a rooter/modder--just an average user who liked the stock Android experience. I just upgraded (early) to the Moto X and I just gotta say: THIS is what the Gnex should have been, promised to be, but could never be.

If you liked everything about the Gnex except for its horrible radios and absolute abysmal battery life, the X fixes both of those issues. The nearly stock Android runs smooth as silk, the screen is slightly bigger than the Gnex's but the overall size of the phone is a little smaller. The screen is sill 720p but MUCH brighter and better than the Gnex. And the Moto X will have TONS of accessories available to it compared to the Droid family since it is a universal design on all the major carriers.

I'm getting 4-5 hours of screen time, including half of my time on LTE. I get very strong LTE signals at all the places I go (home, different locations around the area, etc.) where I would oftentimes struggle to even get a signal of any type with the Gnex. And I leave the X on LTE all the time, whereas with the Gnex, I rarely ever turned it on.

I couldn't be happier with the X. I am soooooo glad I got this phone!

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I switched to the maxx and I absolutely love it!!! My gnex took a huge dump on me six days ago. It was definitely a sign. The Maxx is everything I ever wanted in a phone

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
The LG G2 comes out in six days at $199 on contract, I can't see passing up this phone with all those specs for that price.

Tapatalk mofo

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I had the Galaxy Nexus from it's launch day. I'm not a rooter/modder--just an average user who liked the stock Android experience. I just upgraded (early) to the Moto X and I just gotta say: THIS is what the Gnex should have been, promised to be, but could never be.

If you liked everything about the Gnex except for its horrible radios and absolute abysmal battery life, the X fixes both of those issues. The nearly stock Android runs smooth as silk, the screen is slightly bigger than the Gnex's but the overall size of the phone is a little smaller. The screen is sill 720p but MUCH brighter and better than the Gnex. And the Moto X will have TONS of accessories available to it compared to the Droid family since it is a universal design on all the major carriers.

I'm getting 4-5 hours of screen time, including half of my time on LTE. I get very strong LTE signals at all the places I go (home, different locations around the area, etc.) where I would oftentimes struggle to even get a signal of any type with the Gnex. And I leave the X on LTE all the time, whereas with the Gnex, I rarely ever turned it on.

I couldn't be happier with the X. I am soooooo glad I got this phone!

My initial thoughts when I got mine was that this is nearly the same as my gnex. As I've been using it though, I've realized just how much more refined and responsive it is. The X may not blow some folks away with the spec sheet but it is a really nice phone and in ways that the one or the s4 are not.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

mkurz12

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Current GNex user. Radios have been horrible on all three that I have had. Other than that huge issue, its been great.
Upgraded to the HTC One about a week ago. Took it back yesterday and reactivated the GNex. The One wasn't a bad device by any means. Beautiful screen, very fast in almost every aspect. Like someone mentioned above, very delicate feel, regardless of how durable it may actually be. Gives a very uneasy feeling every time I wpild use itunleas I was on my couch. I Plan to suggest it to my fiance when she is ready to upgrade. She loved the way it felt.
I was personally looking to go to a smaller device or ruffly the same size as the GNex. The One just looked and worked so well, I initially couldn't resist.
Ordered the Moto X and should have it in 2 days. Played with the demo model a lot and loved everything about it. My store didn't have them in stock yet though. I didn't notice any difference in speed between the two devices and the X's screen is more than fine even though its not as nice as the One's.
Can't wait to get it my X and will be happy to report back for others not sure about what to do.

Posted via Android Central App

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
goodbye gnex, hello moto x!!! u have served me so well in the past 2 years. but your life has literally come to an end. the last 3 weeks you started crapping out on me, turning off randomly which you never have before. you would barely get a signal anywhere i went, something new again. you would randomly open or close apps i never clicked on. you would stop playing music each time i played something or skip randomly. this was your end.

moto x....wow. someone said it earlier in a diff thread, this is near vanilla android experience. just perfect in every way possible. moto x, the best smartphone i have ever had. highly highly recommend for any gnex lover skeptical to make the jump.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The X to me is basically a refined galaxy Nexus. I don't want another galaxy Nexus. After almost 2 years, I don't want another 720p 4.7" screen. While 4-5 hours screen on sounds good compared to the GNex, it's a far cry from what the Galaxy Note phones are getting. I am getting a GNote 3. It's time for a change.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
The X to me is basically a refined galaxy Nexus. I don't want another galaxy Nexus. After almost 2 years, I don't want another 720p 4.7" screen. While 4-5 hours screen on sounds good compared to the GNex, it's a far cry from what the Galaxy Note phones are getting. I am getting a GNote 3. It's time for a change.

I agree but I think I'm going with the LG G2 and hoping that LG has better radios then Samsung.

Tapatalk mofo

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I agree but I think I'm going with the LG G2 and hoping that LG has better radios then Samsung.

Tapatalk mofo

Samsung's radios are fine on pretty much every phone post Galaxy Nexus. From what I've seen the S3, S4, and Note 2 all have great radios. I'm sure the Note 3 will follow.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's radios are fine on pretty much every phone post Galaxy Nexus. From what I've seen the S3, S4, and Note 2 all have great radios. I'm sure the Note 3 will follow.

Go check out the radio strength in the S4 section, they disagree with you.

Tapatalk mofo

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Well bought the LG G2 online today and will pick it up in the store in the next hour. So my GNex will only be up and run a little longer :( It was my first Android phone and I will miss it, but can't wait to try that huge battery and screen on the G2!