Devoted VZW Gnex user looking for next phone, what would you get?

rayden8

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a Verizon Galaxy Nexus. My contract is up, and I would like to stay with Verizon, but I WANT THE NEXUS 5! Now, I need to choose between the phone and the carrier. Tough decision. I'm just not completely psyched on any Verizon phones right now.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a Verizon Galaxy Nexus. My contract is up, and I would like to stay with Verizon, but I WANT THE NEXUS 5! Now, I need to choose between the phone and the carrier. Tough decision. I'm just not completely psyched on any Verizon phones right now.

Get the LG G2, it has all the same specs as the Nexus 5 expect Kit Kat for now. Plus it has a better camera. The phone is awesome and although not vanilla Android the UI was very easy to learn coming from the GNex. I know all the hype is the New Nexus and it will be a great phone but the G2 is just as good with a better camera and bigger battery.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

xpeacemaker

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

Same boat here. I dig the Moto X the most, but would wait for 32gb and maybe custom options. The LG G2 is just massive. If the Nexus 5 is the same form factor, I prob won't get it... but I really love the Nexus experience. Really love it... I'm also not opposed to leaving VZ's slow software review process. I believe that AT&T has really closed the gap between the two in terms of coverage.

I may switch off big red.

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Can everyone still tether on their new phones?

I believe it depends on your plan, if you are on the tiered data plans tethering is included. Of course if you're rooted or running a custom ROM it doesn't matter what your plan is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Can everyone still tether on their new phones?

On G2 with unlimited data you have to be rooted or pay the $30 a month. Good thing about paying the monthly fee is you get to use the unlimited data.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I've had a G2 since the 'glitch'/VERIZON30 weekend ($139 & keep unlimited, thank you very much) and couldn't be happier.

Laying the GNex on top of it, it is infinitesimally bigger...whatever. Let me count the ways it *kills* the GN: battery life, radios, camera, screen, performance (10k Antutu GNex w/Shiny 4.3 ROM, 36k G2).

LG skin is fine...not stock but not objectionable, and certainly no lag.

I considered both the S4 and the X, went with LG and don't regret it for a moment. X hardware specs are middling, S4 radio & battery life reviews gave me pause.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site

verizon may not get n5 but moto x is the best phone on verizon right now, go with that and hold on to it, you wont regret that purchase. moto x is practically vanilla android, you will never feel the difference from switching out from nexus. if for example in 6 months or whatever n5 does come to verizon, just sell the moto x and youll have enough left over to buy the n5 on verizon edge. but youll be so happy with the moto x, the n5 wont even phase you.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Is there anything else on the horizon? I'm sticking with my GNex add long as I can, hoping the N5 will eventually land at VZW, but recognizing how unlikely it could be. I really want stock Android - is there any way to strip out LG's proprietary UI yet?

rvandroid

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
verizon may not get n5 but moto x is the best phone on verizon right now, go with that and hold on to it, you wont regret that purchase. moto x is practically vanilla android, you will never feel the difference from switching out from nexus. if for example in 6 months or whatever n5 does come to verizon, just sell the moto x and youll have enough left over to buy the n5 on verizon edge. but youll be so happy with the moto x, the n5 wont even phase you.

^^^ So much this! I bought the Moto X last week for $50 at Best Buy (Amazon price match). Talk about a steal!

The Moto X is everything I wish my GNex was with all the useful features - Touchless Controls, Active Notifications, Motorola Assist, and Camera Shake-On. These are features I actually use everyday unlike the gimmicks on my wife's S4. It feels great in my hand. It has the same size screen as the GNex but the phone itself is smaller in size. With the update, the camera produces great photos when there's adequate lighting. Low-light pictures are subpar, and that's my only knock on the Moto X. Awesome battery (I can get through the day on a single charge) and lag-free.

Posted via Android Central App

FramCire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If you can handle the size, Note 3 has got excellent reviews. My mom went from iPhone 5 to it and loves it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Ace4

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I jumped on the free LG G2 today, I'll pick it up tonight. I'll see how the LG UI is, but I'm already assuming I will be putting CM or some other ROM on it. There are a couple of AOSP ROMs for the G2 already. It will be nice to not have to charge my phone mid-day.

xpeacemaker

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I jumped on the free LG G2 today, I'll pick it up tonight. I'll see how the LG UI is, but I'm already assuming I will be putting CM or some other ROM on it. There are a couple of AOSP ROMs for the G2 already. It will be nice to not have to charge my phone mid-day.

Free where? The phone is huge though (physically). Not sure if I dig that.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Free where? The phone is huge though (physically). Not sure if I dig that.

I think Verizon has it free with a code? Check the LG G2 Verizon forum. But anyway the phone is not much bigger at all than the GNex.

sjd2246

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I just bought the Droid Maxx off contract for $500, completely satisfied with the device, IMO the best android phone Verizon has ever had. With 23 hours from my last charge I still have 47% battery left, left WiFi off most of the day, its a 4G battery sipper.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bethel