If this comes to Verizon with 4G and WITHOUT Bing then wow

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, you could do what I did. It was painful but worth it.

I bought the OG Droid early last year, then started to get involved in the forum community and discovered the rumor threads about the HTC Incredible and the Verizon Nexus One (I'm sure this sounds familiar to you).

I waited until the end of my trial period with the Droid (it was 30 days back then, not 14), brought it back, and reactivated my old LG Envy to hold me over until one of those 2 phones came out.

It was a painful month and a half, but it was very much worth it. My Incredible has been as its name implies.

I purchased my phone at Costco so I actually have 90 days to exchange the phone. I'm not really impressed with the Charge and was thinking of going the way of the Thunderbolt mainly because it can do simultaneous voice & data over 3G but the TB battery has me convinced otherwise. Like I said, I do want 4G and the only known 4G phone yet to come out is the Bionic.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
I purchased my phone at Costco so I actually have 90 days to exchange the phone. I'm not really impressed with the Charge and was thinking of going the way of the Thunderbolt mainly because it can do simultaneous voice & data over 3G but the TB battery has me convinced otherwise. Like I said, I do want 4G and the only known 4G phone yet to come out is the Bionic.

Yeah. Honestly, I'm not sure then. I've been hearing mixed reviews about the Atrix, which has very similar hardware to the Bionic. It looks good on paper, but in practice seems to be just as laggy as single core phones with lower RAM.

The Charge may actually be your best bet, depending on whether or not the SGS2 has LTE and the state of the Bionic. I'd wait and see what the initial reviews of the Bionic say, though. It could be quite a beast if they get it right. Also, I'm guessing by the time the Bionic hits we'll have some kind of confirmation of whether or not the SGS2 has LTE.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
As I've said before, I really don't expect that the initial GS2 on VZW will have LTE. Samsung wouldn't want to release another device with issues like the Fascinate had initially, and with the Charge being such a hit I would expect they would want it to work with LTE at least as well as that. Not to mention that they would absolutely kill its sales if they released the GS2 with LTE. They couldn't charge anymore than $299, and an LTE GS2 at the same price would make the Charge completely irrelevant, despite a pretty hefty investment from Samsung and VZW in bringing it to market, so I don't see them killing its sales that completely.

There's also the fact that Samsung likes to brag about how thin the GS2 is, and I doubt they'd want to make one until LTE radios are small enough to keep the device nice and thin. And don't forget that VZW still doesn't want to overload the LTE network, at least not until they have tiered pricing or a more robust network to lessen the load.

I expect the Function will come out soon as a 3g device, and then once the LTE network is more widespread and stable, and/or tiered pricing is in place to balance the load, LTE radios will be small and efficient enough for Samsung to make a GS2 revision with an LTE radio in place with little to no size or battery penalty. Then they can release it whenever they feel the sales of the Charge are dropping off.

Speaking of which, I don't see what's so disappointing about the Charge compared to the GS2? I have a Charge and I love it, the best LTE device by far. Maybe you don't like the form factor, but the screen and camera are the same as the GS2. Considering those are two of the features that everyone raves about the GS2 for, and ones you'll be dealing with frequently, I would expect it to provide a fairly similar experience. Granted, the GS2 will have much more powerful hardware, which is of course a huge advantage, but its really the main difference. The Charge handles pretty much anything you want to do just fine, and there are already a few good kernels and ROMs that can really speed it up. So until Android gets to the point where the single-core is really slowing down, and dual-core is a huge advantage, I don't see why the Charge is so far behind. Granted, I'd love a GS2 LTE as much as anybody, but I'm very happy with the Charge, and don't see how the experience will be all that different for some time to come, unless you plan on sticking with the stock TouchWiz launcher...

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
As I've said before, I really don't expect that the initial GS2 on VZW will have LTE. Samsung wouldn't want to release another device with issues like the Fascinate had initially, and with the Charge being such a hit I would expect they would want it to work with LTE at least as well as that. Not to mention that they would absolutely kill its sales if they released the GS2 with LTE. They couldn't charge anymore than $299, and an LTE GS2 at the same price would make the Charge completely irrelevant, despite a pretty hefty investment from Samsung and VZW in bringing it to market, so I don't see them killing its sales that completely.

There's also the fact that Samsung likes to brag about how thin the GS2 is, and I doubt they'd want to make one until LTE radios are small enough to keep the device nice and thin. And don't forget that VZW still doesn't want to overload the LTE network, at least not until they have tiered pricing or a more robust network to lessen the load.

I expect the Function will come out soon as a 3g device, and then once the LTE network is more widespread and stable, and/or tiered pricing is in place to balance the load, LTE radios will be small and efficient enough for Samsung to make a GS2 revision with an LTE radio in place with little to no size or battery penalty. Then they can release it whenever they feel the sales of the Charge are dropping off.

Speaking of which, I don't see what's so disappointing about the Charge compared to the GS2? I have a Charge and I love it, the best LTE device by far. Maybe you don't like the form factor, but the screen and camera are the same as the GS2. Considering those are two of the features that everyone raves about the GS2 for, and ones you'll be dealing with frequently, I would expect it to provide a fairly similar experience. Granted, the GS2 will have much more powerful hardware, which is of course a huge advantage, but its really the main difference. The Charge handles pretty much anything you want to do just fine, and there are already a few good kernels and ROMs that can really speed it up. So until Android gets to the point where the single-core is really slowing down, and dual-core is a huge advantage, I don't see why the Charge is so far behind. Granted, I'd love a GS2 LTE as much as anybody, but I'm very happy with the Charge, and don't see how the experience will be all that different for some time to come, unless you plan on sticking with the stock TouchWiz launcher...

I can't compare it to other Android phones as this is my first but I find the charge to be slow and laggy.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I can't compare it to other Android phones as this is my first but I find the charge to be slow and laggy.

Do you have a bunch of widgets? Stock launcher? Live wallpaper? I had a fascinate, and with all of those it was laggy. As soon as you install launcher pro (or adw, go launcher, what have you) and get rid of most of the widgets, the speed is perfectly acceptable.

Drosul

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
IMO, the way I see it, the Charge is destined to be an obsolete and unsupported device, simply because everything in it other than the 4g modem is already 1-2 year old technology. The device was already mostly irrelevant before it was released, and even if the GSII doesn't launch with 4g, the charge officially becomes obsolete the day the Bionic launches.

Now, from Samsung's perspective, the only thing that will hurt more than cannibalizing their Charge sales, is to push the GSII as a 3g only, and give Moto the only Dual Core 4g in town. Business wise, Moto getting free reign on dual core LTE for 3-4 months is enough to completely revitalize their business (again). Meanwhile if Samsung pushes a 4g LTE GSII, and can launch it near the August Bionic launch date, they can likely deal a deathblow to Moto simply by offering a competing (if not altogether better) product.

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a bunch of widgets? Stock launcher? Live wallpaper? I had a fascinate, and with all of those it was laggy. As soon as you install launcher pro (or adw, go launcher, what have you) and get rid of most of the widgets, the speed is perfectly acceptable.

I have one widget and 5 apps installed, none of which run except for maybe the "Lookout" security app. Again, this is my first Android phone so maybe this is an Android thing.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they will leave the Charge out to dry. Its in the Droid line-up. Historically Droids get stellar support.

I do agree if the GSII is LTE compatible Motorola may as well pack their bags on Verizon's network. Will kill sales.

Sent from my Droid

Reactions: shipwrestler125

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
IMO, the way I see it, the Charge is destined to be an obsolete and unsupported device, simply because everything in it other than the 4g modem is already 1-2 year old technology. The device was already mostly irrelevant before it was released, and even if the GSII doesn't launch with 4g, the charge officially becomes obsolete the day the Bionic launches.

Now, from Samsung's perspective, the only thing that will hurt more than cannibalizing their Charge sales, is to push the GSII as a 3g only, and give Moto the only Dual Core 4g in town. Business wise, Moto getting free reign on dual core LTE for 3-4 months is enough to completely revitalize their business (again). Meanwhile if Samsung pushes a 4g LTE GSII, and can launch it near the August Bionic launch date, they can likely deal a deathblow to Moto simply by offering a competing (if not altogether better) product.

I would agree that the Charge is on the tail end of cycles as far as specs go. That said, its not unique to the Charge and is the nature of technology. Newer, faster phones will always be coming out so there is really no way to "keep up" with technology. Its just a cycle.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I could see it coming this summer, although probably late summer. However, I highly doubt it'll be an LTE device. The current generation of LTE radio will not fit in the current GSII case.

You do realize the galaxy tab has lte and is only .6 inch thicker right? People think read it think that it has to be huge but they could work it in there and I think if samsung knew what they were doing they would put lte in it because that way it would really blow sales records out of the water.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't think they will leave the Charge out to dry. Its in the Droid line-up. Historically Droids get stellar support.

I do agree if the GSII is LTE compatible Motorola may as well pack their bags on Verizon's network. Will kill sales.

Sent from my Droid

I think since the bionic will be droid branded that they will once again throw samsung to the back burner like they did last summer with the fascinate. I mean they waited months after releasing the droid x to release the fascinate and then stuck it with bing. I just wish we would get some word on when this or the bionic will launch.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
You do realize the galaxy tab has lte and is only .6 inch thicker right? People think read it think that it has to be huge but they could work it in there and I think if samsung knew what they were doing they would put lte in it because that way it would really blow sales records out of the water.

Yes I know the thicknesses of each. But, what is the overall size comparison? It's much easier to find room for the LTE chip in the Galaxy Tab than it is in the GSII.

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
If Verizon treats this like the fascinate that's really going to annoy me.

When this comes out it's going to be FAR superior to everything else on VZW. There's not even a close comparison

P.S Big Red needs to hurry the heck up, I just destroyed my Incredible and i have an upgrade to use!!!

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Verizon seriously needs to start releasing details on when this phone will be released. Hoping against hope it might come out in July, but August will be fine as well. I will be disappointed if we start hearing September or later unless they announce LTE with it, but the battery needs to be better in that case.