Note 2 or DNA?

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I've had the note 2 for about a week now and I'm loving it. Had a few htc phones and was getting tired of that platform. The only thing I'm not crazy about is I cannot put apps onto the sd card. I'm not rooted and I'm not planning to. Do that would be the only bad thing I can find so far. One thing I did change is I'm running nova launcher. That's pretty slick. I really like it. Had go launcher on my last phone and for reasons I don't know would avg about 16 gigs a month in data. Un installed it and went back to under 2 gigs. That was really weird. But I'm still learning with this note 2. But loving every minute.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

How's the size? Does it feel right?

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I'd never own an Android phone (or really any smartphone) that didn't have a removable battery. Too much likelihood of running out of juice at an inopportune time.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
My Note 2 lasts me about 14-16 on the average on medium to heavy use with no less than 4 hours of screen time. There's something wrong with your phone if you use one of those. Plus, this should be more than sufficient enough to last you a day or so if you need one. (and cheaper too)

I don't only use it for my phone. SLR, iPad(s), iPhone, jawbone, anything that uses USB to charge really. One of the best things I have we bought. It's always in the Napoleon pocket of my timbuk2.

grumpyjoe

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
The size is not that big of a deal. I'm 6'1 with big hands. The case I have has a slide style kick stand. So I put my middle figure thru it and it stays in one spot. One handed play can be tuff. Hard to reach the top right side if it's in my left hand. But that's why I have two hands. I'm having a little trouble with my contacts now but I still love it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Vondutch67

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

I've had the Note 2 for two weeks now and it's taken that long for me to get used to it. Now that I have it feels "right" most of the time. The only occasions when it doesn't feel right, for me at least, are:

1. Taking it out of its hip-holster or whatever pocket I have it in. Just general handling feels a little awkward but it's a feeling that goes away quickly once I begin using it.
  2. Walking my dog and trying to select a podcast or audible book.
  3. Driving and trying to do anything (other than texting, of course).
  4. Ending a call. For some reason I can't stop trying to do that one-handed and that end button is always far away from where my thumb seems to be.

And, that's it.

This really is a tremendous device that functions better than any Samsung phone I've owned previously (better radio, better battery, better speed...better everything). It's definitely a two-handed device though and that, more than anything, is was took me the longest to adapt to. If I'm sitting and using it, it's perfection. If I'm multi-tasking (i.e. walking, driving, eating, etc...) then I'm acutely aware of its size and the fact that it really does require two-hands. This is not a big deal, nor do I mean to imply that it is, simply that the fault (such as it is) lies with me and my previous experiences of using a smart phone. My next challenge to is begin finding reasons to use the S-Pen, one the defining features of the Note 2. I haven't had a stylus since I owned a Windows Mobile device a decade (or more) ago so I'm a little out of practice, but I love having it (the S-Pen) and I'm excited about the possibilities that it represents.

In short: The size of the Note 2 is not a problem but, rather, an opportunity to learn how to do things differently and, in many cases better, than smaller form-factor devices would have you do.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Note 2 for two weeks now and it's taken that long for me to get used to it. Now that I have it feels "right" most of the time. The only occasions when it doesn't feel right, for me at least, are:

1. Taking it out of its hip-holster or whatever pocket I have it in. Just general handling feels a little awkward but it's a feeling that goes away quickly once I begin using it.
  2. Walking my dog and trying to select a podcast or audible book.
  3. Driving and trying to do anything (other than texting, of course).
  4. Ending a call. For some reason I can't stop trying to do that one-handed and that end button is always far away from where my thumb seems to be.

And, that's it.

This really is a tremendous device that functions better than any Samsung phone I've owned previously (better radio, better battery, better speed...better everything). It's definitely a two-handed device though and that, more than anything, is was took me the longest to adapt to. If I'm sitting and using it, it's perfection. If I'm multi-tasking (i.e. walking, driving, eating, etc...) then I'm acutely aware of its size and the fact that it really does require two-hands. This is not a big deal, nor do I mean to imply that it is, simply that the fault (such as it is) lies with me and my previous experiences of using a smart phone. My next challenge to is begin finding reasons to use the S-Pen, one the defining features of the Note 2. I haven't had a stylus since I owned a Windows Mobile device a decade (or more) ago so I'm a little out of practice, but I love having it (the S-Pen) and I'm excited about the possibilities that it represents.

In short: The size of the Note 2 is not a problem but, rather, an opportunity to learn how to do things differently and, in many cases better, than smaller form-factor devices would have you do.

Thanks for that detailed post. This is one of the things I was nervous about because I'm often multitasking. Even on days off I'm busy or have things going on. I'm not too worried about the size of the phone, but I have yet to really experience it in person. Every time I try to make time to go something comes up lol.

reb422

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a Note 2 as my personal phone AND a DNA as my work phone. I have them both sitting directly in front of me as I type this. If you are serious about getting one of these phones are are really stuck deciding between them... do yourself a massive favor and GET THE NOTE 2! The DNA is a fine phone... but once you get past the beauty of the screen... it falls miles short of the Note 2 in features. If the DNA's screen resolution can keep you entertained for 2 years then by all means go for it... but the Note 2 has got 5 times the software features of the Note 2 and is by far superior in excitement factor IMO. As a proud owner of both devices I promise I wouldn't steer you wrong... you'll thank me later!

mpciii

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
4. You can set the phone to answer using the home button and hang up with the power button. Just go to settings when in the phone app.
Reply to Vondutch67

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
So far I love my note. I only mise one app from ios. I was wondering if there was an app similar to this on Android:

agiletortoise.com/drafts

Sent from my Verizon Note 2

JWatson4701

May 8, 2011
Visit site
How do the phones compare in music reproduction through the headphone jack? Does either one have a noticeable amount of white noise when compared to the other?

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Has the note ever felt too big? Also is touch wiz still overbearing? My last experience with touch wiz was the infuse and I really didn't like it. I realize you can use a different launcher but does that solve the problem?

Once you use Nova Launcher you will never use a stock launcher again. They just added about 12 new features that no other stock launcher has.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
How do the phones compare in music reproduction through the headphone jack? Does either one have a noticeable amount of white noise when compared to the other?

I actually find the frequency response better on the Note 2 and the volume is slightly louder. Same on Bluetooth. The top dog for music is the HTC 8x, but you have to give up alot of functionality to go Windows Phone 8.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I really want to root but I'm nervous about it and I'm not sure I fully understand. I really want to delete the bloat ware and use Google wallet.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site