Gmail usint 20% cpu non-stop without even opening it

gospodinjuha

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Does anybody have any idea why my gmail app would use so much cpu even when I don't have it open? I've even killed the process and it just pops back up minutes later, and it makes my phone really hot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-22-16-38-35.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-22-16-38-35.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 49

crl95

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody have any idea why my gmail app would use so much cpu even when I don't have it open? I've even killed the process and it just pops back up minutes later, and it makes my phone really hot.
Im not sure why its taking up so much GPU but if you dont rely on your emails all day i would try to go to your google account and turn off the syncing for email and when you want to check mail just go to gmail and refresh it. If you have it to sync this is why it pops back up minutes later.

gospodinjuha

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Yeah, that would be a good work-around. However I heavily rely on timely email and if I went this route, by the time I get the email, it might be too late.

gospodinjuha

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Alright, I think I have a fix. I went into gmail settings and under sync settings it listed my samsung and amazon account that were for some reason linked to the gmail sync. I removed them and now gmail background cpu usage is 0%.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

JerseyDubbin

Open Source For Life!
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Had the same issue. I actually had about 7 other accounts linked under there. Once i turned all of them off except gmail mine went down too. Unless you NEED something to sync by itself you should turn it off. Will greatly improve battery life

gospodinjuha

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Ever since the update, it's happening again. No matter what I do, it still shows at MINIMUM 15% CPU usage. It's batter consumption is at 46% when screen is only at 15%!

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
May want to uninstall the update and then reboot phone. Could be something gone south after the update process.

DiederikVH

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm this on a samsung S2 running 4.04
Removing the update solves the problem. (Settings -- apps - gmail - remove updates)
Don't reinstall the update for now. Or update your device to 4.1 or higer.