Any time an App Tries to Access my Contacts it Crashes - "Contacts Storage keeps stopping"

Tzvi

Jul 24, 2010
www.cire.com
Anytime an app tries to access my contacts it crashes.

For example, opening Contacts (crashes to homescreen no error message).

Open Telegram, same thing.

Open the Phone app, same thing.

Opening Gmail works fine, until I try to compose an email where it crashes the moment I try putting in the TO address.

Eventually a message pops up that states "Contacts Storage keeps stopping".

I've tried clearing the cache and storage of Contacts Storage, along with the cache of all the affected apps and it hasn't changed a thing. Even multiple reboots has changed nothing.

So I can't make calls and I can't send messages or emails which makes my phone kinda useless.

My phone is a Motorola Moto G Stylus (2022) running Android 11.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tzvi

Jul 24, 2010
www.cire.com
Re: Any time an App Tries to Access my Contacts it Crashes - "Contacts Storage keeps stopping"

Yes I did. It sadly does also happens in safe mode.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any time an App Tries to Access my Contacts it Crashes - "Contacts Storage keeps stopping"

Ok, and you also cleared the cache/data for the Contacts app (not just Contacts Storage)?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Try uninstalling updates to Android System Webview -- these updates can sometimes cause glitchiness for certain devices.

Tzvi

Jul 24, 2010
www.cire.com

That did it!!!

Thank you so much. I've been having a bad week and was really dreading having to factory reset my phone on top of it.

B. Diddy, you da man (and or woman)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

That did it!!!

Thank you so much. I've been having a bad week and was really dreading having to factory reset my phone on top of it.

Da man :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That did it!!!

Great! Send feedback to Google about this bug (from within the system settings of the phone), and make sure not to re-update Android System Webview until the next time Google releases a new update. Make note of the current update date for that app, and then keep an eye on it to see when it changes. (Right now, I see that the most recent update was 2/22/23.)

Also, make sure you don't install the Beta. When I search for Android System Webview on the Play Store app, for some reason the Beta comes up first. I have to scroll down to find the main Android System Webview listing.

Tzvi

Jul 24, 2010
www.cire.com

Great! Send feedback to Google about this bug (from within the system settings of the phone), and make sure not to re-update Android System Webview until the next time Google releases a new update. Make note of the current update date for that app, and then keep an eye on it to see when it changes. (Right now, I see that the most recent update was 2/22/23.)

Also, make sure you don't install the Beta. When I search for Android System Webview on the Play Store app, for some reason the Beta comes up first. I have to scroll down to find the main Android System Webview listing.

Thanks. Will do. I already blocked the updates and will keep an eye out for the next release.

Lae95

Mar 14, 2023
Visit site

I'm having the same troubles and nothing is working

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm having the same troubles and nothing is working

Welcome to Android Central! Tell us what you've tried so far, so that we don't duplicate the work.

Lae95

Mar 14, 2023
Visit site

Cleared Cache for my contact system, restarted my phone, did the safe mkde, uninstalled all updates to android system webview.. Pretty much everything that was listed I've done... I even deleted a lot of apps nothing changed unless I'm doing something wrong

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Which phone do you have?

Are your contacts saved to your Google account, the local Phone account, or somewhere else?

Lae95

Mar 14, 2023
Visit site
I have the moto g stylus (2021) and my contacts are saved to my gmail account i believe

I'm sorry its saved to my google account

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

You mentioned clearing cache from the "contact system" -- do you mean that you cleared cache AND data from both the Contacts app and the Contacts Storage app?

Lae95

Mar 14, 2023
Visit site

Yes that's whag i mean i cleared both contacts app and contact storage app cache

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Right, but you're only specifying "cache" -- what about the app data (also called app storage​)?

Lae95

Mar 14, 2023
Visit site

I've cleared both cache and the app data nothing has changed

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Ok, and you're not on the Beta version of Android System Webview either, right?