So I just called Verizon Tech About Google Wallet

Will it work?!

• Total voters

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
So, I already have my NFC SIM card on it's way, but I decided to call Verizon tech support just to asked about Google Wallet, and see what they would say. They guy on the phone told me it was compatible with the Note 2, but it require the NFC SIM card. I am assuming he meant the same on as the one for Isis. I am not holding this guy to his word however, because he also told me to call Google and Samsung directly and ask them if I was having compatibility issues. But here is hoping that the SIM CARD will do it am I right?

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I already have the nfc sim installed and have Isis up and running. However the the play store says Google wallet is incompatible with my device and won't let me install. Probably have to root to get it to work or wait for Verizon to get slapped down in court again.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I already have the nfc sim installed and have Isis up and running. However the the play store says Google wallet is incompatible with my device and won't let me install. Probably have to root to get it to work or wait for Verizon to get slapped down in court again.

Huh, odd I use to be able to download Google Wallet, but it would just say "Sorry but this device is not compatible" when I ran it....

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure they are working *real* hard on it ;)

Well I hope they are. Considering you can use their version, and get the NFC card to make it work, but it is only available in 2 TEST markets. So for MOST of their customer base Google Wallet is the only option that they can use. However, I do know one of the reason they gave is the security issues that Google Wallet has, and they are trying to make sure it's secure in their eyes, which is why Isis uses a SIM card with NFC and not a phones NFC. It could be excuses to push their own Wallet. Let's hope they are "working" on it.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
It could be excuses to push their own Wallet.

I'm afraid that's what it is. Honestly though, I don't really see NFC payment systems taking off. Its slow and a PITA to use compared to swiping a credit card. I feel like such a tool at a checkout line busting out my phone, starting the Isis App, putting in my password, choosing the payment card, enabling payment, and then spending a couple minutes tapping and banging my phone against the reader. It makes my blood boil when I get behind someone who's writing a check -- and NFC payment is probably worse.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm afraid that's what it is. Honestly though, I don't really see NFC payment systems taking off. Its slow and a PITA to use compared to swiping a credit card. I feel like such a tool at a checkout line busting out my phone, starting the Isis App, putting in my password, choosing the payment card, enabling payment, and then spending a couple minutes tapping and banging my phone against the reader. It makes my blood boil when I get behind someone who's writing a check -- and NFC payment is probably worse.

NFC is pretty quick actually. I use the Starbucks App to pay. Takes less time than paying with my credit card or even cash. Yes I realize that is not NFC, but NFC is fast, but still has a way to go. It will take off though at some point. A lot of technologies had the same doubts when first released, but now are common place.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
busting out my phone, starting the Isis App, putting in my password, choosing the payment card, enabling payment, and then spending a couple minutes tapping and banging my phone against the reader.
This takes me about 10 to 15 seconds. Almost he same amount of time to take out my credit card and run it through the card reader and to do the prompts. However the readers are still an issue, but that just has to do with the NEWISH technology. Credit Card machines @ first had all kinds of issues (crashing etc) when they first became available. Some still do.

cbbartley

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Depends on the user when talking about speed. I usually already have my phone out, so I don't usually dig for it. I also have more than one card. I also want to point out that I don't have to carry that bulky wallet into the store. I will always be carrying my phone, but I hate carrying the fat wallet into the store. I've never had a problem with NFC purchases. Quick and easy, and avoids the dreaded magnetic strip problem I face from time to time.

I just wish this retailer, carrier, facilitator dynamic wasn't so messed up. I love being able to leave the wallet, and choose a virtual card, but the beauty lies in the rewards cards, holding tickets, bus passes, and gift cards that they had planned on attaching to the Google Wallet. Everyone keeps focusing on the tap and pay, but I think being able to have your credit cards plus all of the other possible aspects was the genius part.

cbbartley

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Depends on the user when talking about speed. I usually already have my phone out, so I don't usually dig for it. I also have more than one card. I also want to point out that I don't have to carry that bulky wallet into the store. I will always be carrying my phone, but I hate carrying the fat wallet into the store. I've never had a problem with NFC purchases. Quick and easy, and avoids the dreaded magnetic strip problem I face from time to time.

I just wish this retailer, carrier, facilitator dynamic wasn't so messed up. I love being able to leave the wallet, and choose a virtual card, but the beauty lies in the rewards cards, tickets, boarding passes, bus passes, and gift cards that they had planned on attaching to the Google Wallet. Everyone keeps focusing on the tap and pay, but I think being able to have your credit cards plus all of the other possible aspects was the genius part.

Flexia

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
In any case I think Google should try at the lawsuit with Verizon for making monopoly payment system. We should be able to chose what we would like to use.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch