Big Red GS3 Switching Between 4G & 3G

MrNoDay5Off

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey I'm reaching out to you all about my phone switching between 4G & 3G. This is happening all within 4G covered areas, I went into the Verizon store to have them look into it. They said it could be my SIM, so they replaced it and still having the same issue. Now when it switches it stays at 3G until I restart the phone. I called tech support and they tried refreshing the data and as I was on the road it switched to 3G. And I'm within the same area as I live which is completely covered by the 4G service. Anyone else out there having the same problem?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hey I'm reaching out to you all about my phone switching between 4G & 3G. This is happening all within 4G covered areas, I went into the Verizon store to have them look into it. They said it could be my SIM, so they replaced it and still having the same issue. Now when it switches it stays at 3G until I restart the phone. I called tech support and they tried refreshing the data and as I was on the road it switched to 3G. And I'm within the same area as I live which is completely covered by the 4G service. Anyone else out there having the same problem?

Before doing anything else, check this:

Go to Settings --> More Settings (under Wireless and Networks) --> Mobile Networks --> Network Mode

Make sure "LTE/CDMA" is selected, and not "Global"

c4manceph

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I live in a large metropolitan area (DFW) and the Verizon coverage map shown on their website indicates that I am in a solid 4G LTE area. However, this could not be further from the truth. When traveling the network is great but in and around East Dallas the network is weak. I drift between 3G and 4G to the point that Verizon admitted (as if they had a choice) that the network is weak in "my area" and gave me a Network Extender after only being a customer for two weeks. As much as I would like to remain a VZW customer, under the circumstances I am having difficulty justifying doing so. -Sorry for the rant -

MrNoDay5Off

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I live in a large metropolitan area (DFW) and the Verizon coverage map shown on their website indicates that I am in a solid 4G LTE area. However, this could not be further from the truth. When traveling the network is great but in and around East Dallas the network is weak. I drift between 3G and 4G to the point that Verizon admitted (as if they had a choice) that the network is weak in "my area" and gave me a Network Extender after only being a customer for two weeks. As much as I would like to remain a VZW customer, under the circumstances I am having difficulty justifying doing so. -Sorry for the rant -

Oh I completely understand that's when I drew the line with Sprint and left them. Having me add all this extra stuff just to use my damn phone. Been there and done that.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I'm in the same situation as you, in a marginal area that's marked as a "best" coverage area on the map (for cell phone, 3G, and 4G as well). Couldn't talk Verizon into giving me a Network Extender, had to buy it. You're either very persuasive or lucky, or got the right customer service people. Between Verizon and Comcast, these guys drive me crazy *smile*.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38