Latitude problem on my mom's phone

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi there ....

My mom has a Droid Pro and I am having problems with Latitude. I posted this in the Droid Pro forum, but so far I haven't heard back from anyone so I thought I would post this here also because this is where all the smart people hangout! :cool:

I have sent the friends requests between phones. I recevied the request on my phone and now I see her. However, I see the request on her phone but when I click to accept and share, nothing happens. The request remains. If I click on don't share, the request goes away and I lose her on my phone.

Has anyone experienced this problem? I have updated her app and re-sent the request and it still behaves the same way.

Thank you for anyone who might be able to shed some light on this issue.

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi there ....

My mom has a Droid Pro and I am having problems with Latitude. I posted this in the Droid Pro forum, but so far I haven't heard back from anyone so I thought I would post this here also because this is where all the smart people hangout! :cool:

I have sent the friends requests between phones. I recevied the request on my phone and now I see her. However, I see the request on her phone but when I click to accept and share, nothing happens. The request remains. If I click on don't share, the request goes away and I lose her on my phone.

Has anyone experienced this problem? I have updated her app and re-sent the request and it still behaves the same way.

Thank you for anyone who might be able to shed some light on this issue.

This may be a stupid question (and I realize this may be the same as asking you whether you have your computer plugged into an outlet when you call some pc tech support) but have you tried a hard reset/battery pull to see if that fixes it?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This may be a stupid question (and I realize this may be the same as asking you whether you have your computer plugged into an outlet when you call some pc tech support) but have you tried a hard reset/battery pull to see if that fixes it?

I have not tried the battery pull. I did a restart, but I think I will run over there right now (she lives real close by) and see if that works.

Thank you!

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, she is using her gmail account. Also, I am going to be testing the app to see how much battery it uses. It seems to use a lot.
I concur. If it's only her phone that cannot accept your request. Sync all her accounts/ contacts. Then check her email account(s) & contacts and see if there are any dual listings for you/anyone else in there. If so, merge them. Not sure it's what is causing the issue but i had the same thing happen on my DX2, and that was what fixed it.

Reactions: skatergirl

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I concur. If it's only her phone that cannot accept your request. Sync all her accounts/ contacts. Then check her email account(s) & contacts and see if there are any dual listings for you/anyone else in there. If so, merge them. Not sure it's what is causing the issue but i had the same thing happen on my DX2, and that was what fixed it.

I believe you are on to something. I decided this morning to go online to her gmail account and I was having the same problem with the friends request even there, so it can't be the phone and it must be her account. I then realized that she can get into her gmail by either adding a dot between her first and last name or not adding the dot ... with the same password. I am the one who created her account, so I have no idea how this happened.

Anyway, I am now thinking that this might be an issue. I have tried the friends notification on both email addresses and I am getting the same non response. I am going to try your suggestions. Thanks for the tips!!
:D

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Right on my hump friend!!

I am now visible on my mom's phone! Let me explain for those who might find themselves in the same position.

I realized that the problem was isolated to me when her phone accepted my brother's request and then he became visible on her phone. So, I put on my thinking cap and started to think of the things you mentioned and I began to look through her contacts.

She had a non-gmail address for me in her contacts, but she didn't have any email address in for my brother. So, I added my gmail address into my contact on her phone and that was the ticket. Her phone accepted me immediately after!

Sooooooo thank you again! I knew someone here on this forum would set me in the right direction!!

OH .. and one last thing. Latitude uses less battery than Life360 Family Locator. The only advantage I see to Life360 is that it has the panic button and you can go back and look at the history of each user. The advantage of Latitude is that everyone can pick and choose who they want in their own little network.

Reactions: humpagardengnome

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Maybe that's why Verizon is giving the Rezound 1st dibs on ICS. Everybody here does better troubleshooting than the Moto peeps. We save them from calling csr's to complain. :p

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Maybe that's why Verizon is giving the Rezound 1st dibs on ICS. Everybody here does better troubleshooting than the Moto peeps. We save them from calling csr's to complain. :p

That is so true about the great troubleshooting that is done in this forum!! :cool:

Now if the GPS system would just always work properly, the location apps would be great. I just don't get how three phones in the same building can sometimes be a few miles apart on GPS
. :confused:

Muggsy#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I know its an old post, but in case you look back this might be useful...

About your mum's email address having an extra "." in it....

Gmail account names "ignore" any dots (periods for you yanks!) in the username part of an email address.
So, you can actually put in a dot anywhere you like, and change it if you wish and the email address is still valid.

Thus,

abcdef@gmail.com
a.bcdef@gmail.com
abc.def@gmail.com
abcde.f@gmail.com

will all delivery to abcdef@gmail.com

Further, Google honor the email address RFC (specification rules) better than most, particularly with respect to the "+" function.
This is an extension which effectively allows you to create "traceable" addresses.... let's say you need to enter an email address for some site, but suspect it may be used to spam you. So, you enter your address as "abcdef+xyz@gmail.com"... the "xyz" can be anything (within the email rules), I would use something to ID the site or target I've given the address to. eg: abcdef+burgerking@gmail.com. If this organisation/person/website uses your address they would reply to it as you gave it to them... When it arrives at Google's mail servers for delivery, the servers will ignore the "+" sign and everything after it, upto the "@" and thus deliver it to "abcdef@gmail.com"... ie: "you".
But... the message header will still contain the address string as given, so still with the "+burgerking" which means (a) you can trace where the sender got the address from, and (b) you can set up rules/filters to deal with the message explicitly. (and -c- if you are particularly litigious, you can go after the sender and the organisation you gave the address to, if they "promised" not to sell it on!).

Now there is a common problem with this.... many other sites, organisations, email servers do not honor the RFC and regard (wrongly) the "+" sign as an invalid character. They are *wrong* but there is little you can do about it other than point out the error to them, and curse them, and general deride them, their products and services to all and sundry... depending on how far you are prepared to bear a grudge!

Thought you might like to know...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87