Google Voice

vinny jr

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Have used Google Voice for years for my Visual Voice Mail on 3 different phones on two different carriers. How do I use Google Voice for my text messages, I see where many people use it for text messages, excuse my stupidity because it is probably so obvious. Any help will be welcomed.
Thanks again,
Vinny

PS Still waiting for my ICS, almost gave up and rooted this damn thing.

CampCash

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Open the Voice app, then hit the menu button. Press the compose icon to start your message. That is pretty much it. Be aware, it doesn't do mms messaging though.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2.

Reactions: vinny jr

Fobulous

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I used to use Google voice. But now I only use WhatsApp. It's great and it does mms. In addition you can text you international phones as long as they install WhatsApp.

vinny jr

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I have Google Voice set up to receive text messages but when I go to send a text I go into Google Voice, hit the menu key and there is no compose or anyway of sending a text. Is there some other setting I need to set up in order to send a text?
Thanks

Fobulous

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
You can click on your contact. Choose send text, you should get a pop up asking you what app u want to go with. And gv should be one of the choices.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy III

Reactions: vinny jr

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I used to use Google voice. But now I only use WhatsApp. It's great and it does mms. In addition you can text you international phones as long as they install WhatsApp.

I used to use google voice to text anyone who was not on VZW because I refused to pay extra for a "free" service I could get elsewhere. Texting was one of those things that was free because it used such little network capacity, and no one did it with the old Nokia 51xx/61xx. It just took to darn long. Then phones were designed with t9 and qwerty keyboards and the carriers realized they could make huge profits on it.

Anyway, I always refused to pay them extra and I tried what's app and a ton of others. But the problem lies in your quote. As long as they install the app. It got old asking everyone I knew to install an app they won't use except from me. Also they only work if you have a data connection, where as carrier texting only needs a voice signal. Eventually having two separate texting numbers became a hassle so now VZW gets $15 more a month from me. Drives me nuts, but it is a lot more convenient. Since I'm not giving up my unlimited plan, the two lines fro my in laws will go to my kids in the near future, so I guess I will save then when they need the texting that comes with it.

Whubblesbuddy

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Also they only work if you have a data connection, where as carrier texting only needs a voice signal.

These days all phones have only one connection for voice and data, don't they? I mean if you have a 3G or 4G connection with Verizon, then you have both data and voice all through the one signal, right? On modern, digital, cell systems the phones digitize the voices and transmit/receive them as digital data streams. There is no need for a separate analog voice channel as with older, analog systems.

While I don't know about WhatsApp, I use Google Voice, and it will sent texts to and receive them from phones that are not equipped with GV. I do it regularly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89