Ugh! Back to the Dreaded "Syncing with Outlook" Question! Please Help!

CatB

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I finally found a solid syncing program to use for syncing my Outlook calendar and contacts with my Droid. Honestly, I have been using My Phone Explorer for about a year and was pretty darn happy. Recently, though I was having problems with my Outlook 2007 software and was given the option to change to Office 365 Home Premium which uses Outlook 2013. Happy as a clam - until I discovered that My Phone Explorer is not compatible with 2013!!!!!

Now, I am back to square one, though now it is a year + later and I am hoping someone can make a solid recommendation of a good syncing app for syncing Outlook calendar and contacts with my Rezound.

Anyone? Pretty please?????

Thanks!
Cat

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I finally found a solid syncing program to use for syncing my Outlook calendar and contacts with my Droid. Honestly, I have been using My Phone Explorer for about a year and was pretty darn happy. Recently, though I was having problems with my Outlook 2007 software and was given the option to change to Office 365 Home Premium which uses Outlook 2013. Happy as a clam - until I discovered that My Phone Explorer is not compatible with 2013!!!!!

Now, I am back to square one, though now it is a year + later and I am hoping someone can make a solid recommendation of a good syncing app for syncing Outlook calendar and contacts with my Rezound.

Thanks!
Cat
Not free, or even close, but might this be what you are looking for if you are stuck with Outlook 2013 and no Exchange access? Sync Gmail with Outlook contacts, calendar, and tasks. Download Google Calendar Sync alternative from CompanionLink.

If the description is correct it will sync with Google, then your phone will sync with Google... not a direct connection but might work good enough.

CatB

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Not free, or even close, but might this be what you are looking for if you are stuck with Outlook 2013 and no Exchange access? Sync Gmail with Outlook contacts, calendar, and tasks. Download Google Calendar Sync alternative from CompanionLink.

If the description is correct it will sync with Google, then your phone will sync with Google... not a direct connection but might work good enough.

Wait, does this state that Google Calendar Sync no longer exists and this is its (not free) replacement????

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!
Cat

You can follow this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-rezound/248065-outlook-com-app-its-calendar.html

Or simply create an Exchange Active Sync account with your 365 hotmail or live address and your outlook calendar will sync to your Android device(s). I am not really sure about your contacts, because I use Google for my contacts. If you are having trouble getting your contacts to sync with google, there is paid software (Sync2) to get those Outlook contacts over to Gmail, but DON'T use it for syncing your calendar. There is some kind of code involved that Ice Cream Sandwich rejects.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Wait, does this state that Google Calendar Sync no longer exists and this is its (not free) replacement????

It no longer exists unless you pay. I chose to pay for Office 365 and now my life, when it comes to calendar sync) is so much happier!

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I am not a companion link fan. Also, you can set up as many exchange accounts as you want in Android and sync as many outlook calendars as you would like. I think you have to have Office 365 to do this, but it's worth it to free yourself of the headaches that come with being addicted to the Outlook calendar and wanting it to sync to your phone.

CatB

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I am not a companion link fan. Also, you can set up as many exchange accounts as you want in Android and sync as many outlook calendars as you would like. I think you have to have Office 365 to do this, but it's worth it to free yourself of the headaches that come with being addicted to the Outlook calendar and wanting it to sync to your phone.

Janet,

Are you talking about Office 365 from Microsoft? That is the program that I just installed and upgraded to on my home PC (Office 365 Home Premium). I am confused though. What does that have todo with syncing to my Droid? Did I miss something?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Janet,

Are you talking about Office 365 from Microsoft? That is the program that I just installed and upgraded to on my home PC (Office 365 Home Premium). I am confused though. What does that have todo with syncing to my Droid? Did I miss something?

It sounds like you would like to sync your Outlook calendar with your Android phone and or tablet? If so, on your phone or tablet go to settings, accounts and sync, add account, and then create an Exchange Active Sync account using the hotmail or live mail address you use to log into you Microsoft Outlook 365. Once you set up this account, your Outlook calendar will sync with your phone's calendar.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I think everyone is missing what CatB is trying to do here... (s)he is trying to sync OUTLOOK (the program) to their Android device, not an Exchange account. Syncing data directly to the phone from the PC like an old PDA. This is not a corporate email account, but a local copy of Outlook 2013 managing a POP3 or other non-Exchange email account, local calendar, and local contacts, no Exchange server is involved. Syncing directly to Outlook 2013 is problematic at best, since the old protocols used by 2003/2007/2010 are not supported in 2013.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think everyone is missing what CatB is trying to do here... (s)he is trying to sync OUTLOOK (the program) to their Android device, not an Exchange account. Syncing data directly to the phone from the PC like an old PDA. This is not a corporate email account, but a local copy of Outlook 2013 managing a POP3 or other non-Exchange email account, local calendar, and local contacts, no Exchange server is involved. Syncing directly to Outlook 2013 is problematic at best, since the old protocols used by 2003/2007/2010 are not supported in 2013.

Cat said he or she wants to sync his or her outlook calendar and contacts into his or her Android. Is that not correct? It is not probematic any longer (at least with the calendar) with Microsoft 365 to sync Outlook calendar events into Android. As I stated in an earlier post, one only needs to create an Exchange Active Sync account, using the same email address (such as hotmail.com or live.com or outlook.com) that is used to log into 365 and calendar events will sync to the Android calendar.

I deleted my outlook.com app, so I don't know if the contacts will sync, but there is a check mark in the Exhange Active Sync account to sync mail and contacts as well. So YES ... the Exchange server IS involved and an exchange account IS needed to sync outlook and it IS easy if someone wants to follow my instructions.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I also just redownloaded the Outlook.com app to check on the contacts. There you can search your contacts that sync from Outlook. If you want a full view of your contacts, open the browser and go to Outlook.com and all your 365 information is there.

CatB

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Janet,

Ace is right, I am trying to sync my Outlook calendar and contacts to my droid. I am not using a corporate/company Exchange Server. But it also sounds like you understand that now, too. THank you for your posts. Please forgive my "newbie-ness" to this all... hearing things like "Exchange Server" make my eyes go blank...no experience with this stuff. But, like ACe said, I did just convert to using Outlook Office 365 Home Premium for personal use because I was having problems with Outlook 2007 and solving it was going to cost me money so I chose to spend that money on 365 service.

Sounds like you are saying that if all I want to do is sync my Outlook calendar and contacts to my Droid, I can do this all through 365 now, no other 3rd party app needed?

When I looked at Outlook.com on the Droid market, it looked like it focused more on email and not calendar and contacts. Right now, I just have my Comcast POP3 pushed to my Droid, which works just fine. Also, the app did not get good reviews on the market.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Janet,

Ace is right, I am trying to sync my Outlook calendar and contacts to my droid. I am not using a corporate/company Exchange Server. But it also sounds like you understand that now, too. THank you for your posts. Please forgive my "newbie-ness" to this all... hearing things like "Exchange Server" make my eyes go blank...no experience with this stuff. But, like ACe said, I did just convert to using Outlook Office 365 Home Premium for personal use because I was having problems with Outlook 2007 and solving it was going to cost me money so I chose to spend that money on 365 service.

Sounds like you are saying that if all I want to do is sync my Outlook calendar and contacts to my Droid, I can do this all through 365 now, no other 3rd party app needed?

When I looked at Outlook.com on the Droid market, it looked like it focused more on email and not calendar and contacts. Right now, I just have my Comcast POP3 pushed to my Droid, which works just fine. Also, the app did not get good reviews on the market.

All that I have been saying has nothing to do with corporate accounts. I do not have a corporate account. I have Microsoft 365 and I sync my Outook calendar and into my Android without any other third party software. My earlier instructions show how to get that sync function (Outlook calendar and contacts) to your phone. Your Outlook calendar will show up in your stock Android calendar and your contacts will be found in either the Outlook.com app or on the www.outlook.com webpage. What do you use to log in? Hotmail.com, live.com or Outlook.com?

P.S. I have known from your first post what you wanted. :) I have been experiencing Outlook sync issues for a number of years now. Getting 365 made my life much easier. If you follow my really easy instructions, I promise you that you will be syncing again.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Cat, one more thing. Your Outlook contacts will actually appear in your stock contact app. I downloaded a few test contacts to see if they would show up in your regular contact list and they do.

CatB

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
All that I have been saying has nothing to do with corporate accounts. I do not have a corporate account. I have Microsoft 365 and I sync my Outook calendar and into my Android without any other third party software. My earlier instructions show how to get that sync function (Outlook calendar and contacts) to your phone. Your Outlook calendar will show up in your stock Android calendar and your contacts will be found in either the Outlook.com app or on the www.outlook.com webpage. What do you use to log in? Hotmail.com, live.com or Outlook.com?

P.S. I have known from your first post what you wanted. :) I have been experiencing Outlook sync issues for a number of years now. Getting 365 made my life much easier. If you follow my really easy instructions, I promise you that you will be syncing again.
Janet-

Thank you so much for replying! The idea that I might get this all resolved as a result of getting 365 is awesome! :)

As far as what I use to log in, they created a live.com address for me but I have been using Outlook, Word and Excel without needing to log in, so not sure what you mean (I might be logged in and just completely unaware that I am!).

A few more questions: When you say that my Outlook calendar will show up in my Android stock calendar, does that mean that I will not be able to use any other 3rd party calendar (like pocket Informant or Business calendar) when I sync with 365?

Also, you mention that contacts can be seen in the Outlook.com app or the webpage. Does that mean that it won't be as simple as going to "People" on my Droid? If not, that sounds a bit cumbersome.

Thanks for all the help - it is really appreciated! :)

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Janet-

Thank you so much for replying! The idea that I might get this all resolved as a result of getting 365 is awesome! :)

As far as what I use to log in, they created a live.com address for me but I have been using Outlook, Word and Excel without needing to log in, so not sure what you mean (I might be logged in and just completely unaware that I am!).

A few more questions: When you say that my Outlook calendar will show up in my Android stock calendar, does that mean that I will not be able to use any other 3rd party calendar (like pocket Informant or Business calendar) when I sync with 365?

Also, you mention that contacts can be seen in the Outlook.com app or the webpage. Does that mean that it won't be as simple as going to "People" on my Droid? If not, that sounds a bit cumbersome.

Thanks for all the help - it is really appreciated! :)

Cat ... Yes, 365 will resolve your issues.

So, you will use your live.com address to set up the Exchange Active Sync account on your phone. I am not sure, but I think you will be able to use a third party calendar. I use the stock calendar, so I can't answer that for sure, but I am guessing you can. And after further research, I found that your Outlook contacts will sync into your People app. The contacts seem to take an extra few minutes to sync, but they do get there.

I think you will be very happy. I am really happy that I can have my outlook calendar, especially, and if I want the contacts I can have those too!

CatB

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Cat ... Yes, 365 will resolve your issues.

So, you will use your live.com address to set up the Exchange Active Sync account on your phone. I am not sure, but I think you will be able to use a third party calendar. I use the stock calendar, so I can't answer that for sure, but I am guessing you can. And after further research, I found that your Outlook contacts will sync into your People app. The contacts seem to take an extra few minutes to sync, but they do get there.

I think you will be very happy. I am really happy that I can have my outlook calendar, especially, and if I want the contacts I can have those too!

Janet,
this is great! I will plan on using your instructions this weekend and setting this up when I can dedicate some time to it (don't want to be rushed). I will be sure to post if I have questions or to give feedback on how it goes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!!!

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Cat ... I created two contacts yesterday and they both synced over just fine. Since then I created about four new test accounts and none of them are syncing over, but my calendar is still syncing fine. I am trying to find an answer for this.

CatB

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Well, after ALL THAT, guess what???? The newest beta of the program I have been using for over a year now and really love IS COMPATIBLE with Outloolk 2013!!!!!! I can't believe it!!!

If you guys have not checked out My Phone Explorer as a way to sync with Outlook, you really should. It's free and it works great! I am back to syncing 100%, no problems.

In the meantime, Janet, I will be saving your instructions for the future....just in case! Thanks so much to you and Ace for all your help :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana